Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #21
smiller

Never heard of Akuret but you can look at the DOT code and see where they were manufactured, for whatever that's worth. As to determining whether your rims can handle a higher pressure, the max. pressure will be stamped somewhere on the rim. If you are lucky it will be somewhere on the back (inward facing) side of the rim, if you are unlucky it will be on the inside and not visible with a tire installed.

But before you worry about whether you can use a higher pressure tire I'd add up the maximum weight capacity of your E-rated tires and compare it to the max. gross weight of your unit, minus the pin weight (IOW you are looking for the weight that is actually on your axles.) If you end up with at least a 15-20% safety margin then you are probably safe using good-quality E-rated tires. If less than that then a size upgrade may be in order.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #22
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman32225 View Post
I am running Akuret st235/85/16 tires. Never heard of this brand on our new voltage. They have about 5k or so on them now without issue and run at a solid 60 to 65 sometimes a little higher down hill. Since we have a toyhauler and frequently haul 2k or more in the back I worry about the tires handling the load. They are Load rated E and thinking of moving to F or G but never thought of the rims not handling the pressures. How can I determine the pressure my rims are capable of holding if I go to a higher rated tire? Would going from an E rated to F or G rated and the pressure going up rupture the rim. Does going to a higher pressure require a different valve stem and if so can anyone provide a link to good stems?
OH btw if anyone knows anything good or bad about these tires please jump in.

"Del-Nat" is the combining of Delta and National tires = Del-Nat.
Facilities are in Memphis, TN. The Del-Nat site lists several brands of tires being mfg in several countries.

The Akuret brand is used for lots of applications cars, tractors, etc.

If you continue "chasing" info on Akuret, the trailer tires are actually mfg by Guizhou Tire Co., Guiyang, China. Info is in the Tire Business site (from 2011) - but won't link without a membership. If you Google: "China's Doublestar partners" - the first "hit" should be from Tire Business dot com.

See the last paragraph, for Akuret ST Tires source.

The above information was provided by another poster on another forum.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #23
Ken / Claudia

Thought I would mention, My truck tires where aired up, new, new rubber valve stems when the weight and heat blew out the valve stems. They were rated to 120 psi but, as I found out still rip apart at 80 psi with a heavy load. Get them out and replace with metal stems, check psi daily. Since than (2006) never another problem. They could be causeing failures that you think are tire related. Any RV tires over 8 years old are on borrowed time even when correctly inflated.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #24
Str8shooter

Update

The collision department at Camping World did a great job of fixing the damage to our Raptor fifth wheel. I always felt if I could get the parts I could do the repairs much cheaper but, with a $500 insurance deductible why do it myself.

AAA worked great with CW who did a great job with all repairs. Total cost - $3,130!!! Yup, I couldn't believe it and all my insurance adjuster would say was "thank you for your 19 years with AAA". How great is that!

In hopes of preventing this kind of damage in the future I ordered a TST brand tire pressure monitoring system. No matter how much attention you give to your tires if a tire picks up something causing a slow to moderate leak, pressure is lost and heat build up blows the tire. The TST system monitors both pressure and heat.

Merry Christmas

Rick & Carol
16k Pullrite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
2011 Polaris Ranger XP 800
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #25
CWtheMan

The OP has provided very good quality pictures. I copied #1 & #3 and enlarged them X4.

The lead tire shows abnormal wear on the outer edge. There are three distinct causes for such wear: 1. Under-Inflation (you could have a bad gauge). 2. Loss of camber or Over-Loading. 3. Axle not square to frame. Of course there could also be something wrong with the axle.

Any of those conditions will cause excess heat in the tire which will eventually cause the tread to separate from the carcass. The amount of damage and it’s arc of destruction - to me - indicates the tread started peeling off the carcass before the carcass failed.

RV trailer tires (IMO) are the most abused tires on the highway. It’s not necessarily an owners fault when they fail. Sometimes the axles or entire suspension system is completely out of alignment. By the time the damage to the tires shows-up it’s too late.

You cannot trust that tire that was on there when the other one failed. It needs to be replaced before going too far on it.

For those reading this that have mechanical skills, the reference provided may be of some interest to you.

http://www.centrevilletrailer.com/ne...blems-tips.htm

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #26
Ken / Claudia

CW, I did not get a look at the tire that was not blown but, I agree with everything you said regarding RV tires. Also people think that good tread left on a RV tire means it's OK. They rot from the inside and 6 to 8 years they will likely fail when traveling. I seen a spare tire in a cover never on the road that was about 10 years old blow up in the summer heat. I also helped with a fatal fire truck crash that had front tires 17 years old, almost new type tread. The tires were rotten but, no one thought so since they looked OK.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #27
Snoopdog

I am reading all this with great interest...does anyone know where the Maxxis tires are made?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #28
B&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopdog View Post
I am reading all this with great interest...does anyone know where the Maxxis tires are made?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheng_Shin_Rubber
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #29
smiller

From the DOT code they are manufactured in Thailand, for whatever that matters.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #30
Festus2
Site Team

After reading the above link, it would seem that Maxxis tires are made offshore, in China and other Asian countries, and distributed in North America. I guess the only way to verify their origin is to check on the sidewall.

If they are made in China or Thailand do they then fall into the category of another "China Bomb" and to be avoided at all costs? And all along I thought Maxxis trailer tires were a cut above and were the tire of choice of many RVers, many of whom swapped their China Bombs for Maxxis as an upgrade.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #31
smiller

AFAIK no one has ever found a manufacturing origin code other than Thailand on M8008 Maxxis. But yeah... it seems the fact that Maxxis are made offshore and have an excellent track record just gets ignored by the 'China Bomb' crowd because in that case the facts don't fit with the mantra.