Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
poole

Zeppelin crack on front cap.

I am thinking about purchasing a zeppelin z241. I went and looked at the unit and was just about to buy it when I noticed what looked like a scratch on the front cap towards the top. As I took a closer look I noticed that it was a crack. It is a vertical crack about 18" long that starts on the front and travels all the way over the top where it ties into the roof.

Any idea what kind of money Id be looking at for a repair? I know it would be difficult without seeing, Im just looking for a ball park to see if I want to offer the seller a lower price as-is. The rest of the unit looked immaculate.

Thanks in advance for the help!
poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
Rob_G

I know a delamination repair on the front cap would be about $2500-$3000. I'd imagine it'd be somewhere in that area.
Rob_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

If what you are describing is a "crack" and not a blister or bubble, then my guess is that it is not a delamination problem. Delamination usually occurs when the layer(s) of fiberglass start to separate from each other and the surface onto which it was sprayed. The common symptoms of delamination are blisters and bubbles rather than cracks although the latter are sometimes but less often present. I would think that a crack would be an easier and less costly fix than delamination. I wouldn't venture a guess as to how much the repair would cost.
In any case, I would check out the inside front of the unit for any signs of moisture or leaks.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
Rob_G

Understood that it's not a delam problem and it's a crack, but it's a replacement of the front cap none the less. I was just quoting what it takes to repair the delam as I'd imagine it'd be about the same.
Rob_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
Seann
Permanent User Ban

POOLE Zep is a good brand to STAY AWAY FROM. They had so many problems with it that after about 3 years keystone stopped making them. I just traded in my '04 Z281 It did serve me well but I am paranoid about weight and overloading. Even so when I traded it in one outside wall was moving when you pushed on it.
Seann is offline   Reply With Quote