Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2022, 06:48 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well “Gearhead” maybe you should change your handle!
Our 2016 original batteries failed one morning at the park, used a JD 1435 deck mower to jump start. Checked around for battery prices and decided to go with MOPAR. Drove to dealer, and swapped in parking lot with a lot less hassle than you had.
As to Sourdough changing battery at three years, he might change his tune if and when he has a diesel, as we have two batteries, about $390 for the pair.
If and when I have a diesel, and I may soon, the cost of replacing the batteries every 3 years is of no concern to me. I value my time highly, my irritation time even higher - battery cost doesn't figure in.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:00 PM   #22
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Well “Gearhead” maybe you should change your handle!
Our 2016 original batteries failed one morning at the park, used a JD 1435 deck mower to jump start. Checked around for battery prices and decided to go with MOPAR. Drove to dealer, and swapped in parking lot with a lot less hassle than you had.
As to Sourdough changing battery at three years, he might change his tune if and when he has a diesel, as we have two batteries, about $390 for the pair.
I have been replacing two batteries since '94. Use only Interstate and never had a problem until moving south to hot climate. Replaced two last month for $252 after core charge... the cells just seem to cook out from the heat. As you get older the batteries get heavier. I like to say that after 18 years my truck is old enough to get a license and drive itself. She's a good old girl.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:18 PM   #23
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I have been replacing two batteries since '94. Use only Interstate and never had a problem until moving south to hot climate. Replaced two last month for $252 after core charge... the cells just seem to cook out from the heat. As you get older the batteries get heavier. I like to say that after 18 years my truck is old enough to get a license and drive itself. She's a good old girl.
Interesting, I priced interstate when I got the MOPRs, cost difference was less than $20 each, total cost would have still over $350.
They are group H7, and not cheap.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 02:38 AM   #24
gearhead

I'm in to these 2 NAPA batteries for a little over $400.
Actually I need to return the OEMs to a NAPA store in nearby Warsaw Virginia for the core reimbursement.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 03:43 AM   #25
jasin1

I carry a battery charger, a spare interstate battery that I use for my air compressor, jumper cables and a small but powerful jump box….used the jumper cables and spare battery to jump a guys car at the campground the other week….don’t know why I didn’t just grab the jump box but he asked for cables first and my mind was in vacation mode lol

I can use the spare battery if one of my 6 volt battery’s die in the fifth wheel, I can just replace both with the one battery.

I did some research on the Ram 6.7. And it will start on one battery ..if one of your original two go bad you could theoretically verify which one is bad and disconnect it….charge the good one or jump it and you can drive to a auto parts store to replace one or both
Old 04-12-2022, 05:20 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

I bought NAPA The Legend Professional Battery BCI No. 65 850 A. Total was $377 with tax, no core.

I pull them out and throw them in DW's truck so I don’t have to fool with returning to get my core charge. I also order them online then go pick them up at the NAPA nearest me (about 5 miles). Sometimes the on-line price is just a little bit lower. As a note; I but the maximum capacity battery (either cca or ahr) that will physically fit in the case. That's something I've done irregardless of brand. Obviously my methodology wouldn't work if I'm not at home.

I've had several flavors of new vehichles and have never had good servive from an OEM battery. Over the 50+ years of owning vehichles I bought several brands of replacements over the years. In my experiences I had good results with Interstate in the boats I had and when I went to the NAPA was impressed with their service.

That's been my experience and what's worked for me.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 05:49 AM   #27
Javi

Not that it matters but I usually get 4 years from my batteries in the F350. I buy the 5 year Motorcraft from the dealer.
They load test my batteries at every oil change and I replace them when they start showing up as weak.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 06:16 AM   #28
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Not that it matters but I usually get 4 years from my batteries in the F350. I buy the 5 year Motorcraft from the dealer.
They load test my batteries at every oil change and I replace them when they start showing up as weak.
That's a good idea about load testing. I should start doing that with the DW's Traverse at the dealer when I get the oil changed.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:04 AM   #29
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Interesting, I priced interstate when I got the MOPRs, cost difference was less than $20 each, total cost would have still over $350.
They are group H7, and not cheap.
Could be an east coast vs west coast thing but here is a link to Interstate/Costco prices. Interstate/Costco
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 01:11 PM   #30
Roper46

Will the dealer or any of the parts store replace the batteries for the customer?
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 01:18 PM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
Will the dealer or any of the parts store replace the batteries for the customer?
You'd have check with your dealer if they would charge to install, most do not. Most large chain automotive parts stores install batteries free of charge if you buy the battery from them. A simple phone call will prevent a "suprise" if they don't.
Old 04-12-2022, 01:55 PM   #32
Roper46

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
You'd have check with your dealer if they would charge to install, most do not. Most large chain automotive parts stores install batteries free of charge if you buy the battery from them. A simple phone call will prevent a "suprise" if they don't.
Thanks Marshall. Mine don't need replacing, was just curious.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 02:40 PM   #33
Badbart56

Quote:
I've always bought Ford Motorcraft batteries after I put a couple of Walmart batteries in my old 7.3 being cheap and thinking I got a deal. I drove it to Indiana in early February that year and it liked to not turned over fast enough to start it in the cold temps there. Found out those Walmart jewels were 100 cold cranking amps less than the Motorcrafts.

And I've stayed with Delco batteries in the GM's that I own(ed). I just seem to get better service from the OEM stuff than what I get with brand X. I know there are only two or three actual manufacturers now but the dealer specific parts (batteries) do seem to last longer. I got 6 years out of the original Motorcraft battery that came in a 2000 Ford Focus we once owned, and it never did fail. I just was afraid it was gonna die any day so I replaced it.

And unless something has changed since the last pair I bought in 2019 for the current truck, they installed them for free with the purchase. I did pay another $20 to have them spray the red anti corrosion stuff on the terminals and connections though. Seems like the batteries were $150 apiece plus tax IIRC.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 02:50 PM   #34
Badbart56

Oh, and I'm done with Interstate batteries. I bought a top tier three year free replacement battery for the Massey Ferguson some years ago only to find out the hard way that the fine print in the warranty dropped the warranty to 6 months when used in diesel equipment.

Well yeah! I bought it for diesel equipment, why didn't they tell me when I bought it that it had a 6 month warranty?!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 03:31 PM   #35
jasin1

I don’t know unless it’s the dealer or a reputable garage I don’t want anyone replacing my battery…don’t want to get a dent or scratch in the fender or worry about some kid or inexperienced person who’s entire tool box is a pair of piers and a couple of screwdrivers…. I have a 97 Jeep Wrangler and someone years ago messed up the battery cable ends and I had to replace them…the battery cables are a small wiring harness and expensive unless you buy a salvage part.
I replaced the ends but even that is not 100% perfect.

If the dealer messes something up or a garage they would hopefully pay for the repair part…the guy or gal at autozone might have started on a Monday and quit by Friday…maybe pay someone to hoist the battery’s up but you make the connections yourself…just my opinion
Old 04-12-2022, 07:33 PM   #36
travelin texans

Bought a used Jeep Commander a few years back that had loads of electrical issues, after several trips to the Jeep dealer one of the more experienced technicians noticed it had an Interstate battery & said that was the electrical issue. I was very skeptical but he said to put the Mopar battery replacement equivalent to the OEM battery in & low & behold the issues went away. I have no clue what the battery differences were but it worked.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 02:26 PM   #37
gearhead

Here's another tripping point. The NAPA store in Martinsville I bought the batteries from was closed Saturday afternoon and Sunday. So I stopped at the Warsaw Virginia NAPA store Monday to get my core refund. Nope, "we are a privately owned NAPA Store and where you bought the batteries is a corporate store and we can't do a core refund". Well KMA. I'll just carry them home and deal with it later. What a PITA.
Old 04-13-2022, 02:37 PM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Here's another tripping point. The NAPA store in Martinsville I bought the batteries from was closed Saturday afternoon and Sunday. So I stopped at the Warsaw Virginia NAPA store Monday to get my core refund. Nope, "we are a privately owned NAPA Store and where you bought the batteries is a corporate store and we can't do a core refund". Well KMA. I'll just carry them home and deal with it later. What a PITA.

I had no idea they did that at NAPA! The first time was with Verizon and I was thinking if it had that great big Verizon sign on the building it was Verizon - not so. Verizon corporate, Verizon privately owned stores - couldn't get the equipment fixed, no warranty replacement - couldn't even mess with my account.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 03:26 PM   #39
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I had no idea they did that at NAPA! The first time was with Verizon and I was thinking if it had that great big Verizon sign on the building it was Verizon - not so. Verizon corporate, Verizon privately owned stores - couldn't get the equipment fixed, no warranty replacement - couldn't even mess with my account.
Yep, ran into that exactly one year ago in Martinsville Virginia. My IPhone just died and found a Verizon store nearby. Spent the afternoon in their store and having everything swapped to the new phone. Ended up in my hometown Verizon store getting all the issues lined out. Learning....
Old 04-13-2022, 05:47 PM   #40
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I would go to NAPA.com and reach out to customer service. Let them know what happened and ask them what to do. I've had a lot of experiences with the resturant industry which is typically heavily franchised. Some chains may only have a handle full of company stores, some are closer to a 50/50 mix. There are also corporations that own hundreds of locations that include several different concepts or brands. Other buisnesses followed suit and rely heavily on franchisees to expand the buisness without investing their own capital while making money from the francise rights and a percentage of sales.

Typically when a chain is franchised they will disclose a policy that may not be honored. If you listen to a lot of commercials for fast food resturants for instance they'll state "at participating locations"when promoting a sale or a "limited time only" promotion. A lot depends on the franchisee agreements and some times state and even local laws.