Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2022, 04:08 AM   #1
gearhead

RAM Batteries

2018 Ram diesel.
There we were....Martinsville Speedway (Virginia), cold, overcast, and windy. Campground had no hookups, running off generators. Saturday morning I was due to make a WalMart run and also get generator gas.
Truck wouldn't start. It did this several weeks earlier but started in neutral with my foot on brake. Had started fine everyday since. It has a history of occasionally not wanting to start in Park. We had to be out of the campground by noon Sunday. My mind is going through all the scenarios...batteries, something worse, tow to dealer on a Saturday, what to do with the 5th wheel have it towed to a campground?
I go to the campground office to explain why I might be stranded in the campground past check out time. They said NAPA closes at noon so if you think it could be batteries you better hurry up. NAPA had 2 batteries, I bought both. What is the possibility of having them delivered to the campground? They did. Older guy driving the NAPA van that also volunteered with Racetrack Ministries took me and the batteries right to the truck. Also gave me 2 NAPA caps.
I didn't expect the replacing of the batteries would be easy and it wasn't. Standing on my tip toes on Betty's little step stool. The battery cables look to be 1" diameter and don't flex much at all. I thought the drivers side looked hardest so I started there. It wasn't too bad. I had to disassemble a couple of connections on the positive side but the battery came out ok. Get the
new in and then saw the battery blanket on the ground, so I did it all over.
Passenger side turned out to be worse. I had to disconnect the air filter. Then I dropped my 10mm wrench trying to loosen the hold down wedge. Couldn't find on the ground. Got a ratchet, socket, and extension. No room to swing the ratchet. Used a flat blade screwdriver in the female side of extension. That worked. Disconnected the posts. You would think it would be 10mm like the other battery, no, 5/16". I had to use cable ties to hold the terminals away from the battery posts. Grab the battery handle to pull it out and the handle breaks. Cussing Chrysler. Neighbor comes over and grabs one corner and I get the other. Got it out. Put every thing back together and it worked.
On to WalMart, and the liquor store.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 05:59 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Glad you got it fixed and the batteries replaced. Sounds like......"fun". Your experience is the reason I replace my vehicle batteries at 3 years no matter what. I'm glad you had a NAPA....and thank goodness for the liquor store, I've been where there wasn't anything but a long walk.

As a side note it seems they lasted a pretty good while. Our friends from MI got a new Ram diesel in 17. In 19 I had to help him replace both batteries because they were dead. And yep, we both got to exercise our "colorful" vocabulary; at least no one was around. May all go well for the rest of your trip.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:26 AM   #3
gkainz

I just replaced my batteries on my ‘07 last month. This is my 3rd set, so I guess 7+ years per set is not bad. Mine is the 5.9l (early ‘07) and it’s not that difficult so I’m wondering if they changed up a bunch of stuff to make it harder? I have the air box delete and BHAF filter, so a lot less interference on the PAX side…
Greg
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:35 AM   #4
notanlines

I have heard (campfire chatter) that hotter weather equals shorter battery life. Our friend Google has this to say:
Hot weather means high temperatures under the hood, which accelerates corrosion inside the battery. It can also cause water to evaporate out of the battery's liquid electrolyte. The result? Decreased battery capacity, a weakened ability to start an engine and, ultimately, shorter battery life.
I don't have an opinion (imagine THAT) but it might be true.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 07:31 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I replaced mine just a month or so ago. They were NAPA and replaced with same. The batteries were 7 years old. The battery in our F150 KR ois on year 7 as well and it's a NAPA battery as well. Can't complain about that in my book. No way I'd trash a battery after 3 years, well not a quality battery anyway. BTW I've never had a battery die without giving some warning signs first. On the F250 I could tell it was cranking a little slower than normal but I really had to be paying attention because it has always started almost immediately.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 07:45 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

When we were up north I would replace batteries before the fifth winter just to be safe and never added water. In beautiful sunny Florida just after three year warranty one battery will develop a shorted cell that will draw down the other battery. They seem to need water every three or four months also. Not as hard to replace as newer models but it seems like they make them heavier every year.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:51 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I replaced mine just a month or so ago. They were NAPA and replaced with same. The batteries were 7 years old. The battery in our F150 KR ois on year 7 as well and it's a NAPA battery as well. Can't complain about that in my book. No way I'd trash a battery after 3 years, well not a quality battery anyway. BTW I've never had a battery die without giving some warning signs first. On the F250 I could tell it was cranking a little slower than normal but I really had to be paying attention because it has always started almost immediately.

I don't like surprises nor things happening that require me to expend time I've not planned for. All the failures that came relatively quickly were OE batteries. I use the best Interstate has for replacements. Replacing them makes no never mind to me...I know what I've got. Lots of folks think it's foolish to get rid of a truck, or tires, at 40k miles; I call it planned obsolescence.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:31 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't like surprises nor things happening that require me to expend time I've not planned for. All the failures that came relatively quickly were OE batteries. I use the best Interstate has for replacements. Replacing them makes no never mind to me...I know what I've got. Lots of folks think it's foolish to get rid of a truck, or tires, at 40k miles; I call it planned obsolescence.
I wasn't shaming you for what you do Danny. It's your money do what you will with it. I've never been a trade in a vehichle when the fllor mats get dirty kind of guy as evidenced by the age of my truck and trailer. If you thought I was bashing you I apologize as that was not my intent. Just simply stating my experience.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:57 AM   #9
gearhead

The OEM batteries were Johnson Control. I have no idea who made the new NAPA. But they do have more CCA than the OEM.
I dont know what's worse on batteries...heat or cold.
I don't like surprises either. Reminds me of work, on a Momday morning.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 04-11-2022, 10:00 AM   #10
roadglide

I changed batteries on my friends 2018 dodge Dully easy with 10 mm speed wrench . I have looked at my 2018 Duramax batteries two alternators there seem like nothing straight forward with all cables . I keep mine plugged into a 4 amp battery tender . I Just got home from a three month trip in Florida Tender is reading full . My RV with the same kind of battery tender show 13.8 after setting 3 months and the sxs fully charged . I believe in battery tenders.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:34 AM   #11
ChuckS

Glad you got the batteries replaced and it started and you could press on..

The issue with it not always starting when in park should really be looked at before it leaves you stuck someplace.. I would have to look at the transmission position sensor since it would start in neutral and not in park

I have a duramax and it would be the TCM for my Allison if I had that issue or the brake pedal switch in my case could also cause that issue.. on my truck

Mine is a 2007 LBX with six speed Allison.. I replace both batteries every 5 years whether they need it or not.. We go too many places with no one around and I dont want to be dead in the water for a battery..

I dont buy or believe in expensive name brand batteries... I run the ones from Les Schwab and have ever since I replaced the original AC Delco batteries...

My truck has to last as I refuse to pay the prices they want for the new ones and wont buy a sued one because I have no idea how it was driven or maintained...

Old fashioned I guess... just replaced my serpintine belt, idler pulleys and tensioner and on an LBZ with the stock fan shroud in place its a sweetheart of a job.

Hope your 2018 give you many years of good service

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:41 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Mine are easy to get to while standing on my folding plateform. Worst thing is hoisting up and over the fenders. It seems like the fenders are taller and the batteries got heavier over the last 7 years.

I thought about wiring in a battery tender because sometimes in the off season I'll go 2 weeks without running it. But it's always started easily and trouble free for 7 years so it just didn't seem worth it to me. I'm guessing if we lived in a colder climate it would be a different story. Around here I haven't plugged in the block heater for propably the last 4 or 5 years.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:28 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I wasn't shaming you for what you do Danny. It's your money do what you will with it. I've never been a trade in a vehichle when the fllor mats get dirty kind of guy as evidenced by the age of my truck and trailer. If you thought I was bashing you I apologize as that was not my intent. Just simply stating my experience.

No worries. Didn't think you were bashing. I figured I'd throw out a bit of an explanation because replacing them at 3 years is a little extreme to quite a few I figure.
Old 04-11-2022, 12:53 PM   #14
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
No worries. Didn't think you were bashing. I figured I'd throw out a bit of an explanation because replacing them at 3 years is a little extreme to quite a few I figure.
Three years seemed extreme to me also. But all my neighbors tell me the same thing. The heat kills them. I also use Interstate and I think they are the ones who make NAPA.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 01:04 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

I know the heat takes it's toll on me but can't say with certianty it does on the battery. It seems like automotive batteries seem to die in temperature extreems. I was told it was due to the higher amperage loads the two extreems place on the starter. In cold weather the engine is harder to turn over due to stiff oil and cold steel reducing tolerances of rotating parts and in hot weather the heat soak causing similar reduction of rotating parts clearences. Maybe I was lied to but it sounded logical to me.
Old 04-11-2022, 01:45 PM   #16
mcmeadows1

My wife and I bought our 2012 Ram in NOV 2016. The two batteries in it were manufactured in 2015, and were AC/Delco.

In DEC 2020, I commented to my wife that the truck probably needed new batteries as it was slow to crank. As it was near holidays (and all the associated costs that come with that time of year) she told me new batteries would have to wait.

So, I hooked up a battery maintainer (Noco Genius 10; a great battery charger/maintainer by the way) and nursed the batteries for another six months.

On an early Saturday morning of JUN 2021 (about 06:00), as we were preparing to leave for a week long camping trip that morning, the passenger side battery literally exploded when I tried to start the engine. (The sound, as well as the pressure wave, reminded me of my time in Iraq, when I was on the receiving end of mortar fire.)

After I calmed down, and figured out what happened, I removed the batteries, and used liberal amounts of baking soda mixed with water to rinse off the engine, and engine compartment. Now it was time to find replacement batteries.

Long story short, our local Ram dealer had two appropriate batteries in stock. So, just under $500 later, I had two replacement batteries. Now, it was time to put them in.

Fortunately, the hardest part of the install was lifting the batteries and inserting them in their respective trays, without damaging any other components. Making the actual connections was easy.

Also, just as fortunately, no other damage was done to the engine or electrical system. I really expected some damage to have occurred, but the truck started and ran without issue, and continues to this day.

My lesson learned? From now on, at the five year mark, I will replace the batteries. Trying to extend the life of the batteries beyond that point is not worth the risk of them failing somewhere when we are away from home. Also, as I still work full time, my free time is worth more than cost of new batteries. Additionally, I don’t want to risk damaging electrical components or computer control models, not to mention they cost more than batteries.

The other lesson learned is, since we use the truck very infrequently, the batteries are connected to the Noco battery charger/maintainer whenever the truck is not expected to be used for more than a few days or so.
mcmeadows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 03:03 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Three years seemed extreme to me also. But all my neighbors tell me the same thing. The heat kills them. I also use Interstate and I think they are the ones who make NAPA.

The heat in my part of the world (home base) is "hot" and does take a toll on batteries. 100+ for days/weeks on end is not uncommon and 110 happens too frequently. When I was younger, yes, I waited for "slow starts", dead when it was 15 degrees etc. I dealt with it.

I bought a new 2003 Ram. Had it for 2 1/2 years with zero indication that there was anything wrong with the battery. Went to a market in the city, bought over $200 of fresh fish and went to the truck; it would not unlock with the fob. Took the key and got in, closed the door and the locks locked (should not have)! Thought "what the heck". Tried to start - click/nothing. Sat for a bit then turned on the key and the electronics acted crazy. Got out to check under the hood, when the door closed the truck locked itself again. Now I'm PO'd. Bags of seafood sitting in the back seat of a truck that locked itself, 106 degrees outside and who knows how hot in that truck. I got the number for Enterprise Rent a Car, they brought it to me, unlocked the truck and got the now luke warm seafood, locked the truck and went to a 7-11, bought a little foam ice chest and bag of ice for the seafood (it was 60 miles home) then went home. DW asked "what about the truck?" I said if someone takes it count me lucky (but I loved that thing).

Next day I went to Interstate to buy a new battery. Installed and then returned the car. I vowed that day there would never be a battery over 3 years old in anything I owned...and there hasn't been since. I have no patience for that kind of stuff if I can prevent it up front and I think it does have a lot to do with the levels of heat we have. We all have our own "druthers" on how to do things - as long as it works for you (me) seems OK to me.
Old 04-11-2022, 03:26 PM   #18
gearhead

Working on batteries and mufflers...hate it.
Yeah my first clue that morning was the remote start didn't work.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 04-11-2022, 06:16 PM   #19
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
2018 Ram diesel.
There we were....Martinsville Speedway (Virginia), cold, overcast, and windy. Campground had no hookups, running off generators. Saturday morning I was due to make a WalMart run and also get generator gas.
Truck wouldn't start. It did this several weeks earlier but started in neutral with my foot on brake. Had started fine everyday since. It has a history of occasionally not wanting to start in Park. We had to be out of the campground by noon Sunday. My mind is going through all the scenarios...batteries, something worse, tow to dealer on a Saturday, what to do with the 5th wheel have it towed to a campground?
I go to the campground office to explain why I might be stranded in the campground past check out time. They said NAPA closes at noon so if you think it could be batteries you better hurry up. NAPA had 2 batteries, I bought both. What is the possibility of having them delivered to the campground? They did. Older guy driving the NAPA van that also volunteered with Racetrack Ministries took me and the batteries right to the truck. Also gave me 2 NAPA caps.
I didn't expect the replacing of the batteries would be easy and it wasn't. Standing on my tip toes on Betty's little step stool. The battery cables look to be 1" diameter and don't flex much at all. I thought the drivers side looked hardest so I started there. It wasn't too bad. I had to disassemble a couple of connections on the positive side but the battery came out ok. Get the
new in and then saw the battery blanket on the ground, so I did it all over.
Passenger side turned out to be worse. I had to disconnect the air filter. Then I dropped my 10mm wrench trying to loosen the hold down wedge. Couldn't find on the ground. Got a ratchet, socket, and extension. No room to swing the ratchet. Used a flat blade screwdriver in the female side of extension. That worked. Disconnected the posts. You would think it would be 10mm like the other battery, no, 5/16". I had to use cable ties to hold the terminals away from the battery posts. Grab the battery handle to pull it out and the handle breaks. Cussing Chrysler. Neighbor comes over and grabs one corner and I get the other. Got it out. Put every thing back together and it worked.
On to WalMart, and the liquor store.
Well “Gearhead” maybe you should change your handle!
Our 2016 original batteries failed one morning at the park, used a JD 1435 deck mower to jump start. Checked around for battery prices and decided to go with MOPAR. Drove to dealer, and swapped in parking lot with a lot less hassle than you had.
As to Sourdough changing battery at three years, he might change his tune if and when he has a diesel, as we have two batteries, about $390 for the pair.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:42 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

A dead truck battery has never been a concern while camping for me. We don't dry camp so I've got a battery that I can jumpstart the truck if necessary on the camper.