Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2024, 11:25 AM   #1
Woodsie

New Hideout 28RKD

I picked up my Hideout 28RKD yesterday from Meyers in Branchville NJ. Once
I got it home, I found only one of the propane tanks were filled, and there is no power to the rear camera prep site. (Connection is there, just not powered) So I guess I'll start the waranty list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240330_184414.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	46535  
Woodsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 11:38 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Rear cameras are usually powered by the clearance lights. Have you checked with the lights on?

I have seen dealers that only put enough propane to test the LP appliances, it’s not mandatory to fill the cylinders. IMO your selling dealer shorted you on the propane, we fill all cylinders full.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 03:04 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Your tow vehicle lights must be on for the rear view camera to receive power IF THE CAMERA IS CONNECTED TO THE CLEARANCE LIGHT CIRCUIT. That does not work with only the "daytime running lights". If the tow vehicle tail lights are not powered on, the trailer clearance lights will not be powered on, and the camera which runs from that power source, will not be powered on. So, typically, you've got to switch the headlight switch to ON for the running light circuit to get power.

Then, depending on your tow vehicle, there may be no power to the trailer rear view camera caused by the way the tow vehicle provides clearance light power.

Chevrolet and GMC trucks built from around 2020 and more recent use a modulated clearance/running light power system. It's intended to reduce power consumption (part of the fuel mileage restrictions compliance). There is an adapter cable assembly that you an add to the vehicle to change the modulated signal to a "full power signal" which will run the clearance lights and provide adequate power to the camera.

If you have a recent GM tow vehicle, it's probably not the trailer that is causing your rear view camera problem.

As for the propane, cost is likely around $15 for a 20 pound tank and $20 for a 30 pound tank. Only you can determine whether it's worth towing the trailer back to the dealer for them to fill the tank, drive there with the empty tank for them to fill or call them and inform them it was empty and see if they offer to pay for a refill closer to your home. Spending all day hitching, towing the trailer there, getting $20 in propane, then towing back home and parking/unhitching the trailer, when you consider your time and effort, will likely cost you significantly more than just taking the empty propane tank to the nearest refill station and paying out of pocket.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout