Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2022, 05:24 AM   #1
dutchmensport

Arrrr!

"Baby is cold outside..." again!

Stupid weather here in central Indiana. We had really strong and high winds directly from the West for 3 days straight and steady rain for about 4 or 5 days in a row now. I mean, some really strong winds and lots of rain.

Living in the country, nothing stops the wind blowing across the fields.

We've been sleeping in the camper for several weeks now, been camping already, and waiting to head to North Carolina 1 week from today (Saturday).

So, the weather in central Indiana has been all over the charts for the last 6 weeks. Everything from Sunshine and 65 degree weather, to 17 degrees, snow, rain, wind, warm up, cool down, and now snow again over night!

The trailer rocked and shook last last night and I think even vibrated a time or two. Things rattled outside, but the straight line winds didn't hurt anything. Our trailer is parked West to East, so the high winds are hitting the trailer directly on the tail.

Meanwhile, woke up this morning and had this! Rats! I had so much I planned on doing outside today. Another day of being stuck inside. And yes, it's still windy, but nothing like it's been the last 3 day. At lest, it's just a light dusting of snow and not 18 inches deep! I guess I need to be thankful for something.

The problem is, I have some small odd jobs I need to finish up outside around the house before leaving for North Carolina (for the month of April) and would desperately like to get them done. But this rotten Indiana weather. Makes me truly want to be South next year.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:09 AM   #2
gearhead

I guess it was Tuesday, first day of travel to Virginia. A cool front ran into "juicy" air off the Gulf of Mexico. I waited for it to blow through and headed east. I caught up to the storm around Lake Charles, LA., and drove through it past Lafayette. I've lived on the Gulf coast all my life and have been in some storms but nothing like that. I was following tail lights until they drove away from me and I didn't want to drive that fast. We stopped at Fountainbleau State Park for our reserved site. The storm caught up to us again. There was a tornado reported near us at Lacomb and the big tornado that damaged New Orleans, which was just across Lake Ponchatrain.
The 5th wheel tracked perfectly behind the dually in the high winds.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 07:17 AM   #3
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
"Baby is cold outside..." again!

Stupid weather here in central Indiana. We had really strong and high winds directly from the West for 3 days straight and steady rain for about 4 or 5 days in a row now. I mean, some really strong winds and lots of rain.

Living in the country, nothing stops the wind blowing across the fields.

We've been sleeping in the camper for several weeks now, been camping already, and waiting to head to North Carolina 1 week from today (Saturday).

So, the weather in central Indiana has been all over the charts for the last 6 weeks. Everything from Sunshine and 65 degree weather, to 17 degrees, snow, rain, wind, warm up, cool down, and now snow again over night!

The trailer rocked and shook last last night and I think even vibrated a time or two. Things rattled outside, but the straight line winds didn't hurt anything. Our trailer is parked West to East, so the high winds are hitting the trailer directly on the tail.

Meanwhile, woke up this morning and had this! Rats! I had so much I planned on doing outside today. Another day of being stuck inside. And yes, it's still windy, but nothing like it's been the last 3 day. At lest, it's just a light dusting of snow and not 18 inches deep! I guess I need to be thankful for something.

The problem is, I have some small odd jobs I need to finish up outside around the house before leaving for North Carolina (for the month of April) and would desperately like to get them done. But this rotten Indiana weather. Makes me truly want to be South next year.
Are you sensitive to pollen? It's terrible here on the South Carolina/Georgia line. We're at MODOC COE park and headed to Clemmons NC tomorrow. Bring your allergy meds and/or a mask.
I've got to wash my truck and camper. It's an ugly shade of yellow and green. Might try a Blue Beacon truck wash. Anyone used them?
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 03-26-2022, 07:46 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

8:15 AM here and its about 70 degrees already.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:23 AM   #5
notanlines

"Might try a Blue Beacon truck wash. Anyone used them?"

We have when we've been able to get in. They are respectful of my property and price is fair. But usually they are seriously crowded.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:33 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
8:15 AM here and its about 70 degrees already.
Yea, yea, that's it, rub it in! Marland is called "Minature America" because it has many geological similarities to the continental US . From mountians in the western end of the state to the ocean at the eastern end. I think this motto describes the weather well also. We've had 80° days recently and we've had snow. Next few days the forcast is for a couple of "hard freeze" nights, mix of snow & rain in a couple of days.

It's March, nothing new. Our Bradford Pear trees bloomed and popped open overnight a couple of days ago and the pollen is starting to create its havoc although the green/ yellow oak pollen deposits are a couple of weeks away yet. Seems to me like either my memory is incorrect (good possibilty) or the seasons are afoul. I remember spring and fall but seems to me like having windows that open are less valuable as we go from turn of the ac and start the heat quicker anymore.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:57 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

My orange tree is white with blossoms, might get rain on Sunday night/Monday. We need it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 11:05 AM   #8
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
... Bring your allergy meds and/or a mask.
We'll be at Mount Airy, NC (Mayberry Campground) from April 3 to April 10. While there, we're going to see all the attractions in Mount Airy and all the Andy Griffith attractions. And also visit Pilot Mountain State Park and meet the park manager because we'll be campground hosts there during the month of August this year. We want to scope out Pilot Mountain before our assignment in August.

Then down to Waxhaw, NC (Near Charlotte) to stay at Cane Creek Park Campground from the 10th to the 24th. We be at Cane Creek over Easter, doing a Passover Sedar on April 16 (Saturday), and a River Boat cruise / dinner on April 15.

So, I'll keep the pollen count in mind. Normally, pollen does not bother my wife or me, but who knows? The old body does change over time you know.
Old 03-26-2022, 11:11 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
We'll be at Mount Airy, NC (Mayberry Campground) from April 3 to April 10. While there, we're going to see all the attractions in Mount Airy and all the Andy Griffith attractions. And also visit Pilot Mountain State Park and meet the park manager because we'll be campground hosts there during the month of August this year. We want to scope out Pilot Mountain before our assignment in August.

Then down to Waxhaw, NC (Near Charlotte) to stay at Cane Creek Park Campground from the 10th to the 24th. We be at Cane Creek over Easter, doing a Passover Sedar on April 16 (Saturday), and a River Boat cruise / dinner on April 15.

So, I'll keep the pollen count in mind. Normally, pollen does not bother my wife or me, but who knows? The old body does change over time you know.
Tell Goober I said hey!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 11:35 AM   #10
gearhead

Quote:

We'll be just south of you at Tanglewood Park in Clemmons for a couple of days starting tomorrow. Then to Richmond Raceway and Martinsville Speedway. Then over to Belle Isle State Park for some genealogy work in Montross VA.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 03-26-2022, 11:42 AM   #11
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
"Might try a Blue Beacon truck wash. Anyone used them?"

We have when we've been able to get in. They are respectful of my property and price is fair. But usually they are seriously crowded.
Brushed or mopped?
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 03-26-2022, 03:33 PM   #12
jasin1

Quote:
Are you sensitive to pollen? It's terrible here on the South Carolina/Georgia line. We're at MODOC COE park and headed to Clemmons NC tomorrow. Bring your allergy meds and/or a mask.
I've got to wash my truck and camper. It's an ugly shade of yellow and green. Might try a Blue Beacon truck wash. Anyone used them?
Your not kidding…. I drove thru the Carolina’s and Georgia on my way to Florida the last couple of days…thought I had a cold or something.
Sneezing and nose running ..ughhh. Cleared up in Florida for me
Took me by surprise
Old 03-26-2022, 04:12 PM   #13
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
My orange tree is white with blossoms, might get rain on Sunday night/Monday. We need it.
Our Satsuma and lemon trees are loaded too! And we got 4.37 inches of rain last week. But seriously, when DON"T you need rain out there?! LOL

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 06:57 AM   #14
dutchmensport

Quote:
...Are you sensitive to pollen? It's terrible here on the South Carolina/Georgia line. We're at MODOC COE park and headed to Clemmons NC tomorrow. Bring your allergy meds and/or a mask.
Update: April 14.

Original post was end of March in Indiana. We spent one week at Mount Airy (Mayberry Campground) and the pollen was not a problem. Actually, that campground has no trees in the main campground areas.

We've now been at Cane Creek Campground (Union County, NC) ... near Waxhaw, NC ... for the last 5 days, and the white truck has turned GREEN and I dread to see what the roof of the camper looks like! Didn't use the picnic table yesterday, it's out from under the awning right now, and it's completely covered with green also. I think the pollen is having a joyful time right now.

But, no sneezing, coughing, runny eyes or nose, nothing. We should count our blessings that pollen doesn't affect us.

And, the weather has been fabulous. OK, it was still in the high 30's sometimes at Mount Airy and got up to the middle 60's. And at Cain Creek it's been hovering in the middle 60's to middle 70's. Absolutely wonderful weather. I heard it's still raining and cold "back home in Indiana."

No snow here! We really do enjoy the Carolina's ... even with the pollen!

Mayberry Campground: Our site and surrounding campground:

Cain Creek, our campsite and the lake, a little closer view: