Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2022, 06:59 AM   #21
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
We've been looking for them for months. Not frozen, just refrigerated. In a green and white bag. Between the eggs and dairy at WalMart. They have disappeared.
In our part of the country, WalMart has been out of Diet Coke for a couple months now. They have Pepsi and other flavors of Coca Cola, but not Diet Coke. It's frustrating, we have door-to-door delivery and they bring everything but the Diet Coke. We go to the store, and those shelves are empty.

But, we drive 1/2 mile up the road to the Korger grocery store, and the shelves are full of Diet Coke.

Maybe you should check somewhere different, other than WalMart.

Actually, we kind of quit going to WalMart because the items we actually want seem to never be there. We can go to Meijer or the Kroger Grocery Store and find them. What's up with WalMart?
Old 03-26-2022, 07:22 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Is the brand Simply Potatoes?
One of the brands is Simply Potatoes. I believe those are the non frozen hash browns (and other cuts as well). They, along with any/all other kinds of hash browns are not to be found.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 07:28 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
In our part of the country, WalMart has been out of Diet Coke for a couple months now. They have Pepsi and other flavors of Coca Cola, but not Diet Coke. It's frustrating, we have door-to-door delivery and they bring everything but the Diet Coke. We go to the store, and those shelves are empty.

But, we drive 1/2 mile up the road to the Korger grocery store, and the shelves are full of Diet Coke.

Actually, we kind of quit going to WalMart because the items we actually want seem to never be there. We can go to Meijer or the Kroger Grocery Store and find them. What's up with WalMart?

As far as "my" hashbrowns, I've looked at every grocery store within an hour. We are in a rural area so I have 3 grocery stores I can go to within an hour and they are all out. Maybe a giant alien space ship swooped in overnight and grabbed up all the hashbrowns in this part of the state!

As far as making my own, I can but won't....unless I actually start going into withdrawal. I'll just try to make do until I can find a bag. I'm trying OraIda "chopped/chunked" (square cubes) hash browns right now and they aren't worth a flip....maybe to throw in some potato soup or something but not good for much else.
Old 03-26-2022, 08:08 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Maybe with all the Russian vodka being dumped out, there's a "potato shortage" ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:24 AM   #25
travelin texans

Quote:

None of the stores deliver to our location, but we do order & pickup.
Tried Walmart 1st, they charge you for your entire order, if something isn't available or their substitution isn't wanted it takes up to a week for them to refund those items, not acceptable, too much time watching the account to insure the refund.
We switched to Safeway, if it's unavailable your not charged, if the substitute item isn't wanted they take it back & the refund is done immediately to the account.
It's amazing that with either store the amount of items each order that are unavailable.
Never thought we'd get so lazy as to have someone pick up.our groceries, but I kinda like it.
We do go into the store to buy our meats! Don't want someone that don't know a roast from a chicken leg choosing our meats.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:38 AM   #26
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
None of the stores deliver to our location, but we do order & pickup.
Tried Walmart 1st, they charge you for your entire order, if something isn't available or their substitution isn't wanted it takes up to a week for them to refund those items, not acceptable, too much time watching the account to insure the refund.
We switched to Safeway, if it's unavailable your not charged, if the substitute item isn't wanted they take it back & the refund is done immediately to the account.
It's amazing that with either store the amount of items each order that are unavailable.
Never thought we'd get so lazy as to have someone pick up.our groceries, but I kinda like it.
We do go into the store to buy our meats! Don't want someone that don't know a roast from a chicken leg choosing our meats.
Our WalMart only charges for items we get. We use the pick up service at the store.
WalMart supposedly has the biggest super computer in the world and can't keep peanut butter on the shelf.
Have y'all bought pork sausage lately, like Jimmy Dean or Owens? That stuff tastes terrible and the texture is like oatmeal.
Here's a tip...go to HEB and buy their Whataburger sausage. Just like old times.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:41 AM   #27
gearhead

Speaking of shortages, where is all the Rotella T6 synthetic diesel motor oil?
It ain't at WalMart. At least not mine.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 03-26-2022, 09:09 AM   #28
peanut

Quote:
WalMart supposedly has the biggest super computer in the world and can't keep peanut butter on the shelf.
If that is true then they need to hire someone that knows how to use it. I try not to shop Walmart but sometimes . . . . . . .

Last three times I shopped there, the price at the checkout did not match the price on the shelf. Once, a $25 toaster rang up as a $80 air fryer. When I questioned it the response was, "The SKU number on the register slip and on the box match." Yeah. It also said air fryer when it was pretty obvious from the box that it was a toaster. Had to have an "associate" go back with me to the shelf to prove my point.

Last time was when buying some new dinnerware for the trailer. Walmart was the wife's idea. Items that were 5 and 6 bucks on the shelf rang up as 9 and 12 bucks at the register. Again, had to walk back with "associate" to fix things and get the correct charge lowered by over $40.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:27 AM   #29
gearhead

I get plenty frustrated with them but living in a small town that is basically the only choice. We have a lumber yard with hardware, 3 Dollar Stores, and a Texas grocery store chain. About every 3 weeks we will drive 20 miles to a HEB for quality meats.
If I remember correctly the WalMart super computer is located in Missouri just north of Bentonville. It's a big building.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 03-26-2022, 09:53 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The east coast is a fine view in your rear view mirror!
I'm sure a lot of people feel that way about TX. That's one of the great things about this great country, the freedom to travel, work, and live where we wish.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:57 AM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'm sure a lot of people feel that way about TX. That's one of the great things about this great country, the freedom to travel, work, and live where we wish.

HA!! I love my state BUT when I'm ready to get out of the heat, dirt, sand etc. (W TX) it's most certainly a fine sight in my rear view mirror!
Old 03-26-2022, 10:08 AM   #32
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Speaking of shortages, where is all the Rotella T6 synthetic diesel motor oil?
It ain't at WalMart. At least not mine.
Try Tractor Supply. They have the best selection of oil going.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 10:25 AM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

I can't speak with certainty for WalMart but I beleive most of their products come from their distribution hubs to their stores via their trucks. Most grocery stores are not "fully commissary " and for instance Coke and Pepsi drivers not only deliver but also stock the shelves.
Old 03-26-2022, 10:54 AM   #34
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Try Tractor Supply. They have the best selection of oil going.
Good idea. Thanks.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 03-28-2022, 05:34 AM   #35
curtiscapk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
For three weeks now, DW has been checking every store in town for manocotti noodles (the ones that look like a toilet paper cardboard tube)... NONE TO BE FOUND !!!! Lots of egg noodles, mostacolli, penne, and all those other names for elbow macaroni in different shapes, but no manocotti and she's "beside herself".... Said she's going to make her own this coming week if we don't find some.... I think I've got a package of frozen hash browns that I'd trade for a box of manocotti
Wild we can get manicotti all day long around KC. DEAL!
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:14 AM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

Last night on our way home we passed what was one of our favorite places to stock up. It was only a couple of miles from home and so convenient. It was a thriving restaurant supply house that sold to the public. They sold everything from paper goods to frozen shrimp to well just about anything a resturant could need.

I refer to it in past tense as they did not survive Covid-19. Sad to think that it closed up shop because so many independent resturants and carry-out shops have gone out of buisness. These are the true "mom and pop" shops that invested their entire lives to (often generations) just to see it vanish. I know from being involved in many a community fundraisers that these are also the main supporters of school and community activities.

Another example of why buying local is so vital. Yes, of course I buy from Amazon, Wamart and other big box stores but they are not my first choice. Unfortunatly they may become the only choice in the future. I'll step down from my soap box now, thanks for listening.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:14 AM   #37
Carrottop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As far as "my" hashbrowns, I've looked at every grocery store within an hour. We are in a rural area so I have 3 grocery stores I can go to within an hour and they are all out. Maybe a giant alien space ship swooped in overnight and grabbed up all the hashbrowns in this part of the state!

As far as making my own, I can but won't....unless I actually start going into withdrawal. I'll just try to make do until I can find a bag. I'm trying OraIda "chopped/chunked" (square cubes) hash browns right now and they aren't worth a flip....maybe to throw in some potato soup or something but not good for much else.
It could be due to the halting of potato shipments from PEI to the US. The US asked Canada to Deal with some potato fungus that is not harmful to humans. I am not positive on this but I would bet it is part of the supply chain problem.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/comm...us-2021-11-22/
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:35 AM   #38
Gkri

Quote:
We haven't had store bought hash browns.... in probably .... the last 15 years.

I make them... not the wife. Yes, they take a little more time to fix this way, but the end result is by far, better than store bought factory processed stuff with no heart or soul to it. Fix your own from scratch and you've put yourself into the picture, and they are fixed with real love and passion that way.

Please share your recipe! I tried shredding potatoes to make hash browns once and invented wall paper paste...
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:40 AM   #39
JOEJ
Gone Traveling

You guys know why we have shortages, right?
JOEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:13 AM   #40
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkri View Post
Please share your recipe! I tried shredding potatoes to make hash browns once and invented wall paper paste...
That pic looks tastey! What time is breakfast? Never mind, I'd just get yelled at by my DW (a nurse) as she rats me out to cardiologist.