Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2022, 01:36 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

A point to ponder:

If there's a "chip shortage" and manufacturers can't build cars because of it, where are they going to get the chips to build electric cars ????? Even those $16-20K batteries need chips as does the rest of that "high tech car"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 03:18 PM   #22
wiredgeorge

Seen the EV truck Chevy Silverado RST being advertised? Not sure how much they will want for those things but they look kinda small with a very short bed but they have a trap door that folds down so you can put your canoe through and on top the rear seat I guess. They also have four wheel steering. Wow. What a fantastic idea... they show the rear tires turning in the commercial. Dunno if this passes the threshold of uselessness or not. Says the truck has a 400 mile range and I guess it might if you don't use it to haul or tow. Estimated MSRP $39K plus DFC (not sure what that is) and this truck is being sold as a 2024 model....
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:26 PM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Seen the EV truck Chevy Silverado RST being advertised? Not sure how much they will want for those things but they look kinda small with a very short bed but they have a trap door that folds down so you can put your canoe through and on top the rear seat I guess. They also have four wheel steering. Wow. What a fantastic idea... they show the rear tires turning in the commercial. Dunno if this passes the threshold of uselessness or not. Says the truck has a 400 mile range and I guess it might if you don't use it to haul or tow. Estimated MSRP $39K plus DFC (not sure what that is) and this truck is being sold as a 2024 model....
If you have a dvr and an 85" tv pause the commericial (it's a pretty quick blip), get out your biggest Sherlock Holmes magnifying glass and read the fine print disclaimers.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:03 PM   #24
travelin texans

With the available workforce in this country nowadays I think we can forget any manufacturing to return here. The new workforce wants 2-3 things, lots of $$, short workdays/work weeks & ability to work when they feel like it, but get paid for 40 hours. Thank you labor unions!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:27 PM   #25
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
With the available workforce in this country nowadays I think we can forget any manufacturing to return here. The new workforce wants 2-3 things, lots of $$, short workdays/work weeks & ability to work when they feel like it, but get paid for 40 hours. Thank you labor unions!
If not for union membership I could never have afforded retirement. 40 year member. YMMV. I have a nephew in Texas. 69 years old. Carpenter like me. Non-union. Still working - because he has no pension. Social Security pays his rent but he needs to work to eat. Couldn't afford health insurance until he got on Medicare. According to his mother (my sister) he actually got down on his knees and thanked God when he qualified for Medicare. Can't afford a decent car/truck. Can't afford a vacation. Can't afford much of anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CEO-gets-the-cookies-what-now-334.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	38944  
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 04:34 AM   #26
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Why don't we make steel here?

Why don't we make drugs here?

Why don't we make televisions here?

Why don't we make tires here?

Why don't we make tractors here?

Why don't we make RAM trucks here?

Why don't we make Tee shirts here?

This could go on to fill the entire forum.... But, in short, the answer is:

It's cheaper to make them there and we let the opportunity "slip away" years ago with the belief that "money is more important than ability"....
I saw this great T-Shirt advertised while I was online here. "I got both my shots AND my booster" Over a picture of two shots of bourbon and a glass of beer. Thought "I want one!" and went to order three for me and a couple of friends. Made and SHIPPED from China. I cancelled the order.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 04:55 AM   #27
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
We do make computer chips here. They are made all over the country and typically used in high end (read expensive) equipment like defense contractors, medical equipment, etc.

The question is, why do the auto manufactures buy them from Asia? The answer is because we all demand cheaper goods. So inorder to meet those demands companies that sell everything from cell phones to shoes go off shore where a surplus of low income and sometimes child and even slave labor makes it impossible for US industries to compete. Even our government buys the covid masks that they send out "for free" from China. They are the low bidder and often unapposed.

Welcome to our "Global Economy".
Correct we DO make chips here. Just not the ones automobile manufacturers use. When Covid caused people to quit driving for that first year the industry made the conscious decision to halt chip orders rather that stock pile them. The chip companies who made chips for them ( mostly in Taiwan I believe) retooled to build chips for other customers who did not demand obsolete chip technology. The chips the Auto Manufacturers (AM) use are based on technology developed in the early 90's and the whole world has moved on except the AM. NOBODY but the AM uses that chip technology. So when orders for cars came back and the AM attempted to start again low and behold the industry that makes chips had found new markets. The AM have yet to redesign (read retool) their products to use modern technology chips. And the companies that make chips are not about to tool back to the old technology. All of this will be mute though. Chip production needs neon and 50% of all neon is produced in...........Ukraine. So no end to shortages anytime soon. We might see the return on seats you adjust by hand, widows you physically roll up and down. "Three on the tree!"

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 05:31 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

If my BIL's experience this week is any indication, prices are going to remain extremely CRAZY for some time to come.

In 2020 he leased a GMC 3500 duramax 4x4 on a 24 month/10,000 mile per year lease. Since leasing it, he's moved to Tennessee and put nearly 80,000 miles on the truck. His lease expires in 4 months and the excess mileage charge at 0.45/mile calculates to about 60,000x.45=27,000. That's nearly a $30K penalty for excess mileage.

This week, he was at a local GMC dealer near his new house, looking at trucks to see what was going to be available when his lease expires. A salesman approached him, Chuck explained the lease issues and the salesman said, "Let me see what I can do, I'll call you tomorrow"...

Chuck thought "Oh well, I'll never hear from him".

The next day, the salesman called with an offer.

1. End the lease with no penalty.
2. Forgive all excess mileage charges.
3. Provide a $2500 "new lease incentive".
4. Offer a $1600 trade in on his existing truck if he chooses not to lease a new vehicle.

So, apparenlty GMC is willing to pay him roughly $30K "right now" to get his truck back on the lot.

Needless to say, he no longer owns a "leased 2020 DuraMax"....

I told him to head to the nearest lottery store and buy every ticket they have......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-26-2022, 06:31 AM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
If not for union membership I could never have afforded retirement. 40 year member. YMMV. I have a nephew in Texas. 69 years old. Carpenter like me. Non-union. Still working - because he has no pension. Social Security pays his rent but he needs to work to eat. Couldn't afford health insurance until he got on Medicare. According to his mother (my sister) he actually got down on his knees and thanked God when he qualified for Medicare. Can't afford a decent car/truck. Can't afford a vacation. Can't afford much of anything.

The benefits that a union provides, or lack thereof, is totally dependent on which side of the fence you're on - I've been on both. The bigger issue for the purposes of this forum is that "unions" and their benefits, real or not, have nothing to do with the discussion of RVing. It is a volatile subject that will bring strong feelings from both sides that will do nothing to further the pupose of RVing and needs to be avoided.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:52 AM   #30
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The benefits that a union provides, or lack thereof, is totally dependent on which side of the fence you're on - I've been on both. The bigger issue for the purposes of this forum is that "unions" and their benefits, real or not, have nothing to do with the discussion of RVing. It is a volatile subject that will bring strong feelings from both sides that will do nothing to further the pupose of RVing and needs to be avoided.
Interesting that you call me out for a pro comment but are silent on the anti comment. (There is the ability to multi-quote, which would have included all comments)
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 07:06 AM   #31
wegone

OK....I just made a simple observation, chit chat, on a personal observation about what I believe might be a sign that reality and reason might be returning to truck prices...

Please don't spank me beehind for what others do, my wife scolds me every day of her life for ruining it

Will things continue to rise?

Who knows?

We are NOT getting younger, so now what?

I recall years ago while living in Southern California where house prices were really climbing in all the new housing developments.

The prices climbed rapidly, just months into their new home they'd pull out money to buy pools, toys, etc.

Then the market went down, they were upside down, made the market decline even further...

Will this happen with trucks?

Who knows?

All I know is we are not getting younger.

Moral of the story weedhopper: Enjoy life in the moment, there will always be something to complain about, fret, worry over.

Misery loves company..... find new company, even if you have to pull to a new campsite
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 07:36 AM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Interesting that you call me out for a pro comment but are silent on the anti comment. (There is the ability to multi-quote, which would have included all comments)

I didn't "call you out" about anything. I did copy your post with a reply that spoke to the discussion of "unions" in an RV forum. We had already begun a "tit for tat" union discussion and I advised against proceeding further - yours was the "tat" comment. Where you were in the string of posts is irrelevant. Your perception of "pro" and "anti" comments and apparent agitation is just another indicator that we don't need to have that discussion on this forum.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:45 AM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

If ANYONE had a reliable method of predicting the price and availability of ANYTHING in these times they wouldn't be here sharing said information. If only I had that crystal ball. I wouldn't be here either but rather setting on the beack of my private island somewhere.

As far as computer chips a couple of observations. I have been interested in all things that spark since childhood. I built computers for fun going back 40+ years. IIRC I think it was mid to late 1980's when a chip shortage made pc memory prices go thru the roof. The costs settled back down then when newer technologies emerged pc memory became very affordable.

Fast forward to recent (last couple of years) I've seen the same thing happen with pc video cards. They have been scarce and what cost hundreds 2 years ago were fetching thousands of dollars. I've seen those costs comming down of late. I could be "way off base" but my guess will be once the auto companies reach that point of being willing to pay more for the necessary boards to get rid of the inventory someone will fill that void. But like I said, I don't have the cyrstal ball.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:21 AM   #34
Ddaddyo

GM announced the Pickup Truck plant here will be shut down April4-18 due to lack of Chips.
Ddaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:54 AM   #35
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
For 2 1/2 months now I have had a new vehicle on order. And at least here in western Colorado there appears to be little let up in filling inventory to pre covid levels. I just read where Ford is going to start selling Explorers without everything working. Due to continuing chip shortage. They claim once the chips come in they will be dealer installed and then the vehicle will work right. Really.

I will see if the dealer honors his price when my vehicle finally gets here from Indiana, where it is being made. Will go over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure all electronics are working as advertised before accepting delivery. I hope prices will be coming down and that your observations are right.
Don’t fell bad my new f350 has been on order since September. They keep changing the production date.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 09:08 AM   #36
Camping family

Quote:
If my BIL's experience this week is any indication, prices are going to remain extremely CRAZY for some time to come.

In 2020 he leased a GMC 3500 duramax 4x4 on a 24 month/10,000 mile per year lease. Since leasing it, he's moved to Tennessee and put nearly 80,000 miles on the truck. His lease expires in 4 months and the excess mileage charge at 0.45/mile calculates to about 60,000x.45=27,000. That's nearly a $30K penalty for excess mileage.

This week, he was at a local GMC dealer near his new house, looking at trucks to see what was going to be available when his lease expires. A salesman approached him, Chuck explained the lease issues and the salesman said, "Let me see what I can do, I'll call you tomorrow"...

Chuck thought "Oh well, I'll never hear from him".

The next day, the salesman called with an offer.

1. End the lease with no penalty.
2. Forgive all excess mileage charges.
3. Provide a $2500 "new lease incentive".
4. Offer a $1600 trade in on his existing truck if he chooses not to lease a new vehicle.

So, apparenlty GMC is willing to pay him roughly $30K "right now" to get his truck back on the lot.

Needless to say, he no longer owns a "leased 2020 DuraMax"....

I told him to head to the nearest lottery store and buy every ticket they have......
Dealers in my area what trucks so bad they are paying almost what the truck cost when purchased. I’m waiting on my new f350 ordered in September. Been keeping check on NADA book and local dealers. My trade in is more then I paid for my 2019 f250 king ranch. Now granted I purchase my vehicles under the ford family plan which gives a good discount.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 09:33 AM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
Dealers in my area what trucks so bad they are paying almost what the truck cost when purchased. I’m waiting on my new f350 ordered in September. Been keeping check on NADA book and local dealers. My trade in is more then I paid for my 2019 f250 king ranch. Now granted I purchase my vehicles under the ford family plan which gives a good discount.
The local dealer offered me more for my 2015 Lariat F250 than I paid for it in 2015 when we bought it. No dents, dings or problems, it looks "like new" and has 71,000 on it so it's considered a "low mileage vehicle"... But still, they're offering me "everything I paid for it" almost 7 years ago. CRAZY ECONOMY !!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-27-2022, 12:03 PM   #38
Harried Harry

Response:

Quote:
Why don't we make steel here?

Why don't we make drugs here?

Why don't we make televisions here?

Why don't we make tires here?

Why don't we make tractors here?

Why don't we make RAM trucks here?

Why don't we make Tee shirts here?

This could go on to fill the entire forum.... But, in short, the answer is:

It's cheaper to make them there and we let the opportunity "slip away" years ago with the belief that "money is more important than ability"....
Steel: Pittsburg closed down as well as a lot of other makers. American labor cost "too much" and the supply for (crappy) steel from overseas was abundant and cheep.

Drugs: These are made here but none are legal to make or sell. Some drugs are made here but they tend to be expensive.

Televisions: None are made here since no American TV manufacturer remains in business.

Tires: Who knows

Tractors: John Deere still makes some tractors here but they are expensive and very, very proprietary.

In a nutshell, you last comment is correct. The large corporations decided making money was the most important thing for the business. Thus the profits could go to the shareholders and the extremely well paid executives. The workers and the customers were left out of their calculations since "they will always buy from us, they don't have anywhere else to buy this stuff" or "if the pe-ons want a job they have to take what we'll give them, we can pay the minimum amount and save money by eliminating health insurance and pensions. Let them pay for those things themselves or let the government pay it.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 12:07 PM   #39
Harried Harry

I ordered a new Ford F350 back in October but the paperwork wasn't processed until November. It's production has been delayed due to part shortages. What is missing? The chips for the adaptive cruise control, the parts for the gooseneck hitch, and the sprayed in bed liner. It'll show up whenever. I'm still driving my 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 but the price of the diesel fuel is about $5,00 per gallon now, and gas is $4.10. Big difference.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote