Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2022, 08:18 AM   #21
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I think I would scope it out and talk to someone before I pulled in. I've only found one automatic car wash that would accept a dually. Congrats to Pella Iowa.
Yeah I was kiddin around …would be nice though if it didn’t rip your awnings off
Old 02-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #22
RVGator

I have stopped at the 2 Bucees on 95 in Florida(north of St. Augustine and Daytona) with my 40+ foot 5th wheel with no problems. They have the cheapest diesel around and I wish there were more of them around the east coast. Thy chopped brisket sandwiches are pretty darn good as well.
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 05:23 PM   #23
vampress_me

So my question for those who have stopped at one. Since they don’t allow semis (per a comment above) do they have the diesel pumps well separated from the gas pumps? Or is it a free for all where you have to be aware of idiot car drivers who think they can just jump in in front of you or block you in at a pump? I may be slightly prejudiced, but typically only fuel up at truck stops where I can be separated from passenger vehicles when I’m towing any of our larger trailers.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 05:36 PM   #24
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
So my question for those who have stopped at one. Since they don’t allow semis (per a comment above) do they have the diesel pumps well separated from the gas pumps? Or is it a free for all where you have to be aware of idiot car drivers who think they can just jump in in front of you or block you in at a pump? I may be slightly prejudiced, but typically only fuel up at truck stops where I can be separated from passenger vehicles when I’m towing any of our larger trailers.
It's the wild, wild west 😜
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 05:54 PM   #25
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
It's the wild, wild west 😜
Dang! I love the Wild West, but prefer my fuel-ups a little more civilized (or sane) I guess. Oh well, I guess if we ever get down there to visit one, it will be minus a camper.

Old 02-27-2022, 05:56 PM   #26
j.w.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Tennesseans are looking forward to joining in the action. The new Buc-ee’s store was announced last year and will open sometime in 2022. It’s located in Sevierville, spanning over 74,000 square feet on a 200-acre lot, WYMT-TV reports.
Construction is already underway and the site will feature more than 120 fueling pumps, electric car charging stations and a car wash over 250-feet long.
So TAKE THAT New Braunfels! There will be a new king...
They're building one at exit 320 on I40 in Crossville also
Old 02-27-2022, 06:03 PM   #27
gearhead

Quote:
I've never had anyone jump in front of me. I always pull to the forward pump island so the 5th is not hanging out in traffic. It's not a truck stop with long lines. It's not total mayhem, just a little. Everyone has always been friendly. It's TEXAS!
Go see.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:35 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Lynette I have been to several. Never had anyone jump in front of me. In fact, never had an issue with a lane with 2 pumps being open for me to pull into with the rig - have never waited once nor have I encountered anyone posing a "problem" with where I needed to get fuel. Full disclosure I do not insist on being in the pumps closest to the entry doors...they are busy. I always move out to the 2nd awning and it's easy peasy.

The one thing I can't tell you is how many and where the diesel pumps are. I will say I've never been to one that a diesel pump wasn't right there where I was filling up with gas. The gas yoyos you find in all those other places? They will be in the 30-40 fuel slots in front of the store. Last one I was in, pulled right in to the gas pump, many slots (full lanes) empty and the guy next to me (on the other side of the pump) pulled his dually diesel in with a long hot shot trailer and just commenced to fill up.

Mobs? Nah. Lots of folks, yeah. Remember this isn't a Pilot or Loves - it's a Buc-ees!! Instead of 10-12k sq. ft. of store they are 50-80k sq. ft. Lots of room for lots of folks. And, very clean - you've not been in a truck stop/convenience store that can compare...in any way. No, I don't own stock or have any vested interest in them - I just like "nice" places.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:45 PM   #29
Gegrad

I have never been through one with my rig, but I have visited several times in a car while visiting my parents at various Buc-ees in Texas. The ones I have been too all had 100+ pumps, and ultra wide lanes. While usually very busy, every time I have been I have always visually observed everything and thought "man this would be nice to encounter for refueling while towing our trailer". Just my 2 cents.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 03:46 AM   #30
Mikendebbie

Every pump has diesel on both sides of the pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D1FBD2CD-21B0-4C63-A8EE-2AD11993743B.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	38530  
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 04:10 AM   #31
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Lynette I have been to several. Never had anyone jump in front of me. In fact, never had an issue with a lane with 2 pumps being open for me to pull into with the rig - have never waited once nor have I encountered anyone posing a "problem" with where I needed to get fuel. Full disclosure I do not insist on being in the pumps closest to the entry doors...they are busy. I always move out to the 2nd awning and it's easy peasy.

The one thing I can't tell you is how many and where the diesel pumps are. I will say I've never been to one that a diesel pump wasn't right there where I was filling up with gas. The gas yoyos you find in all those other places? They will be in the 30-40 fuel slots in front of the store. Last one I was in, pulled right in to the gas pump, many slots (full lanes) empty and the guy next to me (on the other side of the pump) pulled his dually diesel in with a long hot shot trailer and just commenced to fill up.

Mobs? Nah. Lots of folks, yeah. Remember this isn't a Pilot or Loves - it's a Buc-ees!! Instead of 10-12k sq. ft. of store they are 50-80k sq. ft. Lots of room for lots of folks. And, very clean - you've not been in a truck stop/convenience store that can compare...in any way. No, I don't own stock or have any vested interest in them - I just like "nice" places.
This right here just make a lap around the place and you'll find a easily accessible pump.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 04:35 AM   #32
gearhead

But wait there's more...several Buc-ees have non-ethanol gas.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 02-28-2022, 08:01 AM   #33
travelin texans

We've stopped at several Bucees with our 40' 5er towed with a CC dually & never had an issue getting into/out of any of them. As stated there's diesel at every pump, at least the ones we've stopped at.
Yes they are extremely busy, but were designed to accommodate it if you don't a short walk to enter the place.
I wish they were further west, the only comparable place around here is QT.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:11 AM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

That all sounds great. So often here in the NE & Mid-Atlantic regions fuel stations will only have diesel at a few pumps and the idiots buying gas will often go in, hand the clek a $10 bill and pump 3 gallons into their little car. Then, go back inside and go shopping for 20 min before returning. Then it's another 5 min while they set there and get their drink in the cup holder, scratch off their lottery tickes and who knows what else before finally pulling out. Very frustrating.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:56 AM   #35
gearhead

Great selection of kolaches too.
Haven't seen any of those Welsh coal miner rutabaga things though.
Usually some fresh cut fruit cups and I think salads so it's not all a greaseball burger. Pretty good jerky, and lots of it.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 02-28-2022, 09:02 AM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
That all sounds great. So often here in the NE & Mid-Atlantic regions fuel stations will only have diesel at a few pumps and the idiots buying gas will often go in, hand the clek a $10 bill and pump 3 gallons into their little car. Then, go back inside and go shopping for 20 min before returning. Then it's another 5 min while they set there and get their drink in the cup holder, scratch off their lottery tickes and who knows what else before finally pulling out. Very frustrating.

Unfortunately common sense, consideration and decency has somehow been deleted from many in today's world. Stopped at a Love's in TX; pretty tight fit and could only use the end pump. I and another RV were sitting side by side waiting for the vehicles to leave. His was fueling and then left. The vehicle in front of me was just sitting there, not dispensing fuel, empty vehicle - the rear of my trailer was impeding traffic as well (inside the parking lot). After about 15 minutes I asked DW to go inside and get the manager to have these people move. She said when the manager came up the told him of the situation and he was going to get on the PA to get them to go. Instead, right next to her were a young woman and man holding their 1/2 eaten pizza who told the manager it was their car and they would move it - she had to go to the bathroom....with a 1/2 eaten pizza? Didn't know that was what those stalls were for.

The couple came out with their pizzas in their hands and got in the car. I was nose to nose with them and about 6" off their bumper, and, my pi&&ivity factor was on overload. She got behind the wheel and stared at me as if she wanted me to back up so she wouldn't have to back into the line of cars trying to get into the front of the store. I glared at her, pointed at her and motioned for her to get out of my way. Guess she got the message; backed into the line of cars and peeled out in her Camaro....hopefully putting marinara sauce in her and her friend's laps. Lazy, inconsiderate people.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 12:49 PM   #37
bcintx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Every pump has diesel on both sides of the pump.
And several of the ones that I have been to have DEF at the pumps located at the very end of the covered awning. I've driven a DEF equipped diesel since 2016 and have never bought a "box" of DEF thanks to the Buc-ee's across the street from texas motor speedway.
2021 Cougar 316rls
bcintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 02:46 PM   #38
Mikendebbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcintx View Post
And several of the ones that I have been to have DEF at the pumps located at the very end of the covered awning. I've driven a DEF equipped diesel since 2016 and have never bought a "box" of DEF thanks to the Buc-ee's across the street from texas motor speedway.
Man I’m tellin ya…there ain’t much they DON’T have. We live about 30 minutes from the Temple TX store and DW occasionally just wants to go look and shop the clothes and the kitchen gadgets and candles (the leather smell candle is killer!) and kid clothes for grandson. I always filler up because of the good diesel prices.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:54 PM   #39
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
This right here is exactly what I’ve experienced and was talking about. And would be the reason I will stick to gas stations with the diesel located on a separate island from gas. It’s more peaceful that way…for everyone in our vehicle.

Old 02-28-2022, 07:44 PM   #40
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.w. View Post
The one in Gulf Shores (just E. of Mobile) is a mob scene. Been there twice in just my pickup. NEVER again. Got in line to get diesel, it was so bu sy I could not get out of line. DW and I were caught there for 25 minutes trying to get out after finally filling up.
What kind of line did you get in? The pump islands just have 2 sets of pumps and you can back out or pull forward at all of them I've seen, but I haven't seen all of them.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS

Tags
fifth wheel