Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2022, 03:43 PM   #1
gearhead

How it happens..

https://www.rigzone.com/news/wire/ca...1NGrH2FkZtNh8E
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:55 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

How the "woke" push a civilization into the dark ages.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:55 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

California Teacher's Rep bashing Exxon. Why am I not suprised that he thinks the board isn't "woke" enough concerning climate change.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:00 PM   #4
gearhead

Very sad. We're going down a bad road.
Old 01-08-2022, 05:49 AM   #5
gearhead

The same thing is happening with Shell. Forced to sell assets..significant Permian holdings and all but one refinery. Lots of my friends and coworkers are being forced into early retirement.
I don't understand it. The facilities will still be running and polluting the same, maybe more. It may surprise some folks, but we were very conscious of what we put in the air. Maybe not so much when I first started in 1974, but attitudes changed.
Old 01-08-2022, 06:54 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
The same thing is happening with Shell. Forced to sell assets..significant Permian holdings and all but one refinery. Lots of my friends and coworkers are being forced into early retirement.
I don't understand it. The facilities will still be running and polluting the same, maybe more. It may surprise some folks, but we were very conscious of what we put in the air. Maybe not so much when I first started in 1974, but attitudes changed.
The issue as I see it is the lack of understanding and the misinformation that's propogandized out to the public. The fact is ALL companies are in buisness to make money. Some folks just don’t understand this and demonize companies for not being wholey humanitarian. A great deal of people I've talked with that are of this opinion don’t know where their 401K or retirement funds are invested. It's the "dirty little secret" for many investment funds.

This misunderstanding and propaganda also elludes to EV vehicles powered by wind and solar as an immediate solution. It just ain't true. The technology and distribution just isn't even close to replacing oil and gas. The defacto ban on nuclear power has removed the most viable of the options. Of course past practices by ALL industries were bad for the environment. So were our living conditions. Folks used to urinate and defecate in a pot and throw it out the window. Food, animal, and human waste littered the streets. These conditions still exist in many countries today.

I beleive every human desires a clean environment but it's a long road to get there. The same people that demand, intimdate, and act like petchulant childern to kill fossil fuels now are often the same folks that want to elimnate leather and other animal originated products as well as wood products. They don’t understand that the vast majority of those products start out as crude oil.

Ignorance is the most difficult battle in life. Unfortunatly in these times ignorance is being propegated by the very institutions assigned to eliminate it. Instead of politicizing and demonizing these industries I think we would be better served teaching things like math, biology, chemistry, and other siences as apposed to how to maarch in a protest, carry a sign, and yell in peoples faces.

Of course these are opinions based on my experiences and observations.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:09 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The "professor" calling for the end of fossil fuels, is likely sitting behind a wood desk, sawn, milled, finished, painted with tools powered by and built from fossil fuels. He's likely wearing synthetic blend clothing, blended from fossil fuels, sewn in a "sweat shop" in Honduras or China by "slave labor", delivered to the US on a boat fueled by fossil fuels, shipped to his store in a truck fueled with fossil energy, stocked on the shelves in a store lighted by fossil fuels and when he buys it, his payment by credit card is "powered by electricity" that is likely supplied by fossil fuel.....

So, even though he's "totally against continued use of fossil fuels" changes are very good, the only way his "article against oil" ever reached anyone to read, was because of oil that was used to supply the energy so he could protest oil....

Likely a "Dr, Seuss dichotomy"... you know, the "push me/pull you" we read about in nursery school or on Mom's lap....

It would be really nice if he actually took stock of his own life before calling for it to end when his demands are met..... If he gets his way, with our current capacity to produce energy with wind and solar, we'll be living in caves, burning wood to keep from freezing.... Wood is much "dirtier to heat with" than oil/natural gas, so "doing it his way" will likely mean a faster dive into climate change...... Oh, the "educated" <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:33 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The "professor" calling for the end of fossil fuels, is likely sitting behind a wood desk, sawn, milled, finished, painted with tools powered by and built from fossil fuels. He's likely wearing synthetic blend clothing, blended from fossil fuels, sewn in a "sweat shop" in Honduras or China by "slave labor", delivered to the US on a boat fueled by fossil fuels, shipped to his store in a truck fueled with fossil energy, stocked on the shelves in a store lighted by fossil fuels and when he buys it, his payment by credit card is "powered by electricity" that is likely supplied by fossil fuel.....

So, even though he's "totally against continued use of fossil fuels" changes are very good, the only way his "article against oil" ever reached anyone to read, was because of oil that was used to supply the energy so he could protest oil....

Likely a "Dr, Seuss dichotomy"... you know, the "push me/pull you" we read about in nursery school or on Mom's lap....

It would be really nice if he actually took stock of his own life before calling for it to end when his demands are met..... If he gets his way, with our current capacity to produce energy with wind and solar, we'll be living in caves, burning wood to keep from freezing.... Wood is much "dirtier to heat with" than oil/natural gas, so "doing it his way" will likely mean a faster dive into climate change...... Oh, the "educated" <sigh>

^^^The ignorance (and arrogance) of the "educated". I was once having a discussion with my ex SIL (as of 2 days ago). Now this guy went to school until he was like 35, got various kinds of degrees and a PHD. He married my daughter (much younger) and as time went on I wondered what he used for "common sense". One day we were discussing his thinking and why he thought/did some of the things he did; his answer? I wouldn't understand ....it was "academia"! ACADEMIA??? What does that have to do with putting a phillips screw in with a hammer, a square peg in a round hole OR eliminating the only viable energy source on the planet? Due to ignorance because of too much education or ideology?? I'll take common sense over academia or ideology any day, and twice on the weekend.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:43 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Maybe he meant to say Macadamia. I refer to most of those types as propeller heads.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:13 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Too many schools are focused on Social Engineering vs engineering in other subsets such as mechanical, electrical, structural, etc.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:24 PM   #11
gearhead

They really are blind to their hypocrisy.
I'll never forget, maybe 15 years ago at my sisters for Christmas. My sister mentioned that since the kids were all about to leave she was going to wash the bedsheets they used. One of them said no she shouldn't, that was using too much energy.
Then they discussed when they were all flying into Taos for a ski vacation.
Really?