Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #21
Old_Stevenick

Spoke with the mechanic and will have it thoroughly gone through in the Spring. He said that when it was inspected (Massachusetts state inspection) they would have/should have checked most of the things like ball joints, tie rods, etc.

As to the water, since it's going in the barn for the winter he feels we don't need to worry about that now.
Old_Stevenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:00 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Stevenick View Post
Spoke with the mechanic and will have it thoroughly gone through in the Spring. He said that when it was inspected (Massachusetts state inspection) they would have/should have checked most of the things like ball joints, tie rods, etc.

As to the water, since it's going in the barn for the winter he feels we don't need to worry about that now.
My only comment would be to treat the rust while it's in the barn as rust doesn't sleep.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:29 PM   #23
Miloski

Are you wanting a new tow vehicle and need reasons to use; to talk your spouse into it?
That's a lot of money for a new vehicle and if you have it, go for it. Steering and ride can be fix by a qualified mechanic at a reasonable price for the year.
How long do you plan on camping and traveling? Not how long you want to, but long you honestly think considering age and health.
Just trying to help you think it through.
Miloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:54 AM   #24
Old_Stevenick

Yeah I definitely don't want to spend the money on a new vehicle. I'm in the keep it as long as I can camp. I do the same thing with computers at my company.

We'll be camping and traveling for a number of years more, I do doubt this 2002 Van will last for a lot longer, but putting a few grand into it is better than spending 10's of thousands on a new vehicle for sure.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:03 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Payments on a "new one" are likely to be in the $750/month range...

Seems to me, not making those payments would mean $9000 a year in "an available pot of money" to repair the current van...

Should it cost $3000 to repair and only last 1 year, you've still "saved $6000... If it lasts longer than 12 months, you've increased that "pot of money" substantially.

Seems like a "win/win" to me.. No doubt your checking account will appreciate it too

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:14 AM   #26
Old_Stevenick

I agree. There's always the "throwing good money after bad" line. Why put money into the van if it's going to die? But as you say even if the payments were only $500/mo that's $6K a year in repairs and huge savings in insurance and excise tax. (In Massachusetts we pay an excise tax on our vehicles based on their value, basically a property tax. So a new vehicle is costly beyond the payments.)
Old 10-26-2021, 01:03 PM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Stevenick View Post
I agree. There's always the "throwing good money after bad" line. Why put money into the van if it's going to die? But as you say even if the payments were only $500/mo that's $6K a year in repairs and huge savings in insurance and excise tax. (In Massachusetts we pay an excise tax on our vehicles based on their value, basically a property tax. So a new vehicle is costly beyond the payments.)
If you look at my sig you'll see what I'm driving. The truck basically only yows our trailer with an occasional run to lumber yard or use uyility trailer. Bottom line for us is that with the minimal milage and conditionnof the truck, putting a grand or two in repairs is just money wrll spent. I got over wanting the latest/greatest gizmo or wanting to impress others many years ago.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #28
wiredgeorge

I bought a $7K 2006 F350XL clunker (diesel) and have put several thousand into the truck; tires, brakes, front end, oil cooler, EGR delete and a few other odds and ends. Have about $4500 total in the truck and it has 140K miles and is pretty reliable at this point. I only use it to drag my camper and an occasional Home Depot run. Used it in 4x4 this past winter when I was the only one who could get up the hill by my house. I don't owe anyone anything except monthly bills and would rather just fix what I have and not drop mega bucks and have a mortgage on a new truck which will depreciate like crazy in a year or two when the truck market bottom drops out. Fuel prices and a glut of trucks I predict will cause the drop. If I am wrong, I don't care as I will still own my paid up clunker!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:19 AM   #29
Old_Stevenick

Well my trusted mechanic went through the van today. I listed all of the things you guys suggested he look at, including bushings, tie rods, ball joints, etc. He said it was in remarkably good shape, everything was tight, no frame rust either. Just needed exhaust hangers welded, a serpentine belt, air filter and oil change. Phew. Wow. Should get another year or two out of it.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:41 PM   #30
wiredgeorge

That's great news! Now you need to go camping!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford