Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2021, 09:44 AM   #1
Lost

Washer Dryer

Now that my wife and I are retired we’re going to do a lot more camping this summer so we’re looking to purchase a washer dryer for our Montana 313 high country. It’s already plumped for them. Any suggestions on which one to get? Thanks
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:31 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

We had the Splendide stackable w/d installed in ours and love them. Beats the heck out of finding quarters all the time and spending hours waiting in line, or just waiting, on using the w/d at the park.

Make sure the stackable (we did not like/want all the drawbacks of the combo units) will fit the enclosure heightwise and that the door will close after installation. Ours fits perfectly.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:58 AM   #3
travelin texans

Highly recommend the Splendide stackables also. The combo works, but takes all day to do a load & everything comes out wrinkled. We've had both & wouldn't do the combo again.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #4
dutchmensport

What are the pro's and con's of getting the combo washer/dryer that does it all. We're looking to get a w/d for the Montana also.

Also appreciate hearing about the pros and cons on the vented vs unvented dryers, apart from having to cut a hole in the side of your camper for the vented ones.

We were prepared to pull the plug and spend some serious money. The wife gave me 1 month to figure it out, before we hit the road again for another month or two. Then the washer went out in the house. Ours in the house are stackable, and ended up getting a new set for the house. There went plans for the camper for a while. But, I'm willing to bite the bill fold again if I can figure out which way to go with the camper, before hitting the road again in March.

Thoughts? Ideas, Pros and cons? What works good for you? What doesn't work good for you? I know, the final decision is our own, but listening to other's experiences can't hurt anything.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:09 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
What are the pro's and con's of getting the combo washer/dryer that does it all. We're looking to get a w/d for the Montana also.

Also appreciate hearing about the pros and cons on the vented vs unvented dryers, apart from having to cut a hole in the side of your camper for the vented ones.

We were prepared to pull the plug and spend some serious money. The wife gave me 1 month to figure it out, before we hit the road again for another month or two. Then the washer went out in the house. Ours in the house are stackable, and ended up getting a new set for the house. There went plans for the camper for a while. But, I'm willing to bite the bill fold again if I can figure out which way to go with the camper, before hitting the road again in March.

Thoughts? Ideas, Pros and cons? What works good for you? What doesn't work good for you? I know, the final decision is our own, but listening to other's experiences can't hurt anything.
Combo unit has a smaller capacity IIRC. I do know the dryer takes FOREVER and your stuck doing one load at a time start to finish. With a stackable unit you can start a load drying and start your next wash load at the same time. combo is for limited space.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:17 PM   #6
notanlines

We are all but full timers and what we hear is strong from both sides. Those with love to do laundry most every day and consider it part of the experience. Those without are usually hellbent the other way and only do laundry weekly.
We always find a laundry nearby that does all by the pound. Ours in Okeechobee is $1.00 a pound complete and that is folded and hung and shrink wrapped.
You do laundry, we’re gonna fish or ride. ��
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:35 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post

I've not owned a combo w/d but know people that have. Good friends of ours that we camp with in the winter (usually) had one and hated it. It took forever and everything came out wrinkled...or, they had to take them out wet and spread them all around to minimize the wrinkling. I've talked to others with the same opinion including an RV salesman that lived in his trailer. For some it's the only option they have due to the trailer. You have a Montana so a stackable should be OK.

Vented vs ventless. I did not, and would not, consider ventless. They also take additional time simply due to the way the operated plus, from what I've been told directly, they also will leave your clothes wrinkled more than the vented.

Putting a vent through the side of the trailer was a no brainer to me but I had the dealership do it. I didn't want non vented so it had to be there if I was going to have a w/d for DW....and I know who butters my bread....
Good luck on your choice.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:53 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I've not owned a combo w/d but know people that have. Good friends of ours that we camp with in the winter (usually) had one and hated it. It took forever and everything came out wrinkled...or, they had to take them out wet and spread them all around to minimize the wrinkling. I've talked to others with the same opinion including an RV salesman that lived in his trailer. For some it's the only option they have due to the trailer. You have a Montana so a stackable should be OK.

Vented vs ventless. I did not, and would not, consider ventless. They also take additional time simply due to the way the operated plus, from what I've been told directly, they also will leave your clothes wrinkled more than the vented.

Putting a vent through the side of the trailer was a no brainer to me but I had the dealership do it. I didn't want non vented so it had to be there if I was going to have a w/d for DW....and I know who butters my bread....
Good luck on your choice.
My 315rls has the cabinet to the right of the forward closet( behind front cap) I was thinking of installing the washer in that (factory prep)location( only a washer or a combo unit will fit) and putting the dryer to the left of it in the forward master closet. Has anyone done something like that?
I realize I will lose some closet space but there is plenty of storage throughout the rv
Old 02-14-2021, 02:12 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

I have put a washer on one side and a dryer on the other side of a closet in a Grand Designs Solitude.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:45 PM   #10
travelin texans

As I said we've had both types & wouldn't do the combo again.
We full-timed for 10+ years with the 1st couple years using the parks laundry facilities, some good & some not so much or tried finding a decent laundromat in town which was like finding hens teeth. So due to limited space got the vented combo, yes I drilled the hole through the side (a pucker factor of 10), which as mentioned took several hours per load but still better than spending a several hours in a laundromat in a sketchy part of town watching spanish tv channels. Traded 5th wheels & ordered with the stackables, a much better option than the combo, they held a decent load size & did a good job.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:47 PM   #11
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I have put a washer on one side and a dryer on the other side of a closet in a Grand Designs Solitude.
Thanks it’s a project I may tackle in the future
Old 02-14-2021, 10:17 PM   #12
Big1

I install the Splendide Combo myself, it was very easy the hardest part was drilling a 4" hole in the side of my 5th wheel and even though they had the sticker on the inside and have the factory to send me a diagram of my unit.

I didn't have the space for a stackable so I install the X2100 it was the best thing that we did and like someone have said going to those sketching laundry mat was not what we wanted to do. We just load some clothes in it and forget it.

We are not full timer the longest we have gone was about 2 1/2 weeks.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washer