Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #41
Morotcycle Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The issue is very difficult to address without making some sort of "political" comment or taking some sort of political stance - and sometimes that is hard for me. Suffice it to say Jim is on the money; the states don't have enough troopers to take care of what they've got much less try to stop every out of state vehicle coming in. The counties are in the same boat and virtually all of them, in either category, in places I go to, wouldn't mess with it anyway. I'm thinkin'......keep on truckin!!
What a sad state our country has come to that we can't discuss science or common sense without it being labeled "political" and being censored.
Morotcycle Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:37 AM   #42
Life-in-Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Y'all can have mine I drank out of the stock tank yesterday..
Hard for some to understand.

-1, windchill -14 this am.

For those fearing being too close to #27 dropping her calf this morning, running from old Apex the bull, or chipping ice from either stock tank we have an alternate vaccination plan:
Roll down your windows (yes all of then) , slow down to 15mph, & drive downwind (it's only 25mph now) past the 1/4 million head of cattle in the feed lot a few times.

That'll help your immunity blossom.

T
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:03 PM   #43
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life-in-Him View Post
Hard for some to understand.

-1, windchill -14 this am.

For those fearing being too close to #27 dropping her calf this morning, running from old Apex the bull, or chipping ice from either stock tank we have an alternate vaccination plan:
Roll down your windows (yes all of then) , slow down to 15mph, & drive downwind (it's only 25mph now) past the 1/4 million head of cattle in the feed lot a few times.

That'll help your immunity blossom.

T
When we were first married, my DW (city girl that she was) had never been near a feed lot, much less down wind of one.... We visited Uncle Clyde and Aunt Lilly, who owned a dairy farm. We got to their house about 2PM, just as Uncle Clyde was walking out to the pasture to herd the cows to the milking parlor. Aunt Lilly hugged my new bride, invited her to come with her to the barn while Uncle Clyde and I went the other direction.

To make a long story short, when we got back to my parent's home, DW stripped off everything, it all went into the trash as she wrapped a towel around herself (on the back porch) and headed to the bathroom. She took, what I believe, is still the record longest shower in Kentwood history.... Needless to say, her "immune system" was not only shocked, but "boldly enhanced" that day.....

No longer does it bother her sensibilities when we drive past a feed lot or a cattle auction barn.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #44
Life-in-Him

JRRJH
Kind of different out here on the Prarie isn't it.

Windchill last night was -25.

Still have our unit in brother's building as we finish work from 23k miles in 10 months last year. Should be back on the anti c-19 road after celebrating ourv 60th anniversary later this month. Gets boring not being on the road.
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:06 AM   #45
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life-in-Him View Post
JRRJH
Kind of different out here on the Prarie isn't it.

Windchill last night was -25.

Still have our unit in brother's building as we finish work from 23k miles in 10 months last year. Should be back on the anti c-19 road after celebrating ourv 60th anniversary later this month. Gets boring not being on the road.
It sure is different working on a farm or on the range.

Having grown up working on a diary farm, I was not only used to milking twice a day and cleaning the milking parlor after every milking along with cleaning the barn lot and hauling that "aromatic, black liquid earth" to the back of the pasture after every milking, all while wearing knee high rubber boots. When we visited Uncle Clyde and Aunt Lilly, as my uncle and I left for the pasture to herd the cows to the barn (they already knew we were coming and were ready to head that direction, so it was more "us opening the gates" than actually directing the cow's travel) I put on rubber boots as I knew what was ahead. My "brand new bride" having never even touched a cow's tail, was "woefully unprepared for what she was going to encounter". Wearing her white Keds tennis shoes with pink ankle socks, a gray skirt and a pink blouse, I questioned if she wanted boots and her reply was, "No thanks"...

Anyway, the only way into the milking parlor is to go "the long way around the barn" or "wade through the barn lot"... So, her "introductory path to the milking parlor" completely contaminated her, from the soles of her white Keds to her knees with a few "splashes in other places".... The rest of that afternoon "spiraled downhill, rapidly"...

Needless to say, sitting on a blanket that covered the seat in our car, she was not a happy camper on the way back to my parent's house... It took almost 50 years for her to be able to laugh about that event and as far as I know, she never even went into the back yard of my aunt and uncle's house, not even to the chicken coop.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-13-2021, 12:10 PM   #46
chuckster57
Site Team

I little different:

Having worked on autos for the last 40+ years, DW had no idea what dirt and grease was until we started sharing the same address.. Needless to say the first time I came into the house she sent me back out to the garage to strip down to my skivvies. Even now, 27 yrs later, I am not allowed to come in with my dirty clothes. She even makes comments about making me a sandwich and me eating it with the added flavor of grease. I have to remind her that I dont want to wash up, eat for 2 minutes and then get dirty again.. SO she quit making me lunch which is fine with me. WE ALL know what happens after you eat

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:33 PM   #47
notanlines

My DW knew from the start that that the smell of acrylics, epoxies and lacquers
smelled A LOT like house note, kid's shoes and school clothes. And once DW started her career at the federal prison I also learned that night shift, odd hours, holiday turns and everyday dangers also smelled A LOT like new cars, stock investments, vacations and utility payments.
I'll bet that every last one of you has a story to tell that starts something like this: The smell of dirt and grease from the (fill in your own) oil patch smells just like....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:15 AM   #48
Greg58

Vaccinations are moving along well here in Ga, starting March 8th school system personnel can get vaccinations, I'm already on the list.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:22 AM   #49
BrooksFam

Wife and I both have our first shots and will get second in about 2 weeks. Glad to have them if only for piece of mind. We have two RN's in the family and the virus is real as they witness daily. They both had minor symptoms after second shot that lasted about a day and a half, so not looking forward to that. Kinda like getting a flu shot for some.

BTW, I worked on a dairy farm for 3 years in high school. I was a city boy until we moved to the country. I milked, cleaned, hayed, grew 20 acres of corn and filled silage silo's and everything else that goes with a dairy farm. It was a great experience, but would never want to be a dairy farmer for a career. Got used to the smell and the "debris" on me and in my car. Brings back a lot of memories when I drive by one and get a wiff …..
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:42 AM   #50
sourdough
Site Team

We got our 2nd shot this morning. Like BrooksFam we want them for peace of mind - just like getting a flu shot. I didn't get the flu but began taking the flu shot at 65 for the same thing; peace of mind. I'm not phobic about the covid bug but taking the vaccine can't hurt....and they're behind us now. Went out to breakfast to celebrate afterwards. I'll update if we have any reaction to them.

Good luck to all that want to get the shots. I hope your locations are as well organized and on top of their game like they are here - it is absolutely seamless and very quick; literally in and out.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:05 AM   #51
notanlines

We also had our shots Wednesday. Great execution, very well organized, and exceedingly polite/friendly. Probably in excess of 50 workers all toll, two lines and smooth as silk!
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:00 AM   #52
flybouy
Site Team

DW was immunized yesterday, I get mine today.

As for dairy farms that brings back memories. Had a third cousin in WV that had a small one, maybe 30 head. I would spend several weeks in WV at my uncle's place every summer and my first cousin and I work on the farm. First milking at 5 a.m., carry the milk cans up to the "bottling shed". There we poured the milk into a tank that ran the milk over some cooling coils and filled the bottles. Then we had a hand operated machine that inverted the paper "cap" into the top of the bottle. My cousin would load the pickup while I mucked the barn and sanitized the milkers. Deliver the milk and by lunch time we were either mowing/baleing hay or other work until time to milk in the evening.

After a few days you get used to the smell and you quickly learn to "read" a cow's body language that "something is about exit their behind at a high velocity". Very hard work but there was no problem getting to sleep at the end of the day!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:02 AM   #53
sourdough
Site Team

As an update on our 2nd shot (Moderna) mentioned above;

We received our shot at 8:30 in the morning. Felt great all day and went to bed. In the night DW said she thought she ran a bit of fever (did not check). The next day we both had mild headaches and a fair amount of fatigue; just didn't feel good. The day after it was back to normal so all in all nothing to it for us.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:03 AM   #54
Greg58

I got the J&J vaccine yesterday on my lunch hour, I haven't had any side effects so far.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:44 AM   #55
BrooksFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As an update on our 2nd shot (Moderna) mentioned above;

We received our shot at 8:30 in the morning. Felt great all day and went to bed. In the night DW said she thought she ran a bit of fever (did not check). The next day we both had mild headaches and a fair amount of fatigue; just didn't feel good. The day after it was back to normal so all in all nothing to it for us.
We get our second shot tomorrow and expect to be down for the count on Friday. Everyone we know personally that has had the second shot (~12) had mild effects the next day so we expect the same.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:26 AM   #56
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post
We get our second shot tomorrow and expect to be down for the count on Friday. Everyone we know personally that has had the second shot (~12) had mild effects the next day so we expect the same.
We never felt any effects from our Moderna shots.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:16 AM   #57
JRTJH
Site Team

We got our second shot (Moderna) almost 3 weeks ago. Other than "site tenderness" where the injection was done, we had no reaction. Our neighbor had his second Pfizer injection about the same time and he had a fever and felt tired the next day. Everyone that I've talked to with the Moderna series has been OK after the second injection. People who got Pfizer had mild symptoms.

Nobody around here has received the J&J shot, so no reports yet.

Realistically, if any of them, side effects or not, provide an increased protection, it's worth feeling bad for a day (at least to me). I haven't heard of anyone over the age of about 60 or so that's expressed any reluctance to getting vaccinated. Younger folks, around here, have some mixed feelings, but us "old farts" are lining up for shots as soon as we can get scheduled......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-10-2021, 08:36 AM   #58
sourdough
Site Team

We were surprised we had any reaction to the 2nd shot (Moderna) since I've never had a reaction to anything in my life. Heck, maybe it was psychosomatic but since we both felt the same thing at the same time figured it was the shot. Could've been ??? but I doubt it.

As far as "worrying" about the shot and whether to get it or not; the benefits so far outweigh any slight inconvenience that it's a no brainer IMO. The peace of mind is priceless and makes the miniscule price paid (nothing ) seem so trivial.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:43 PM   #59
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I've had my share of shots, pokes, jabs, stabs, and grabs. I've had surgeries, body parts replaced, body parts removed. I've been in the US Army and got prodded in places I deny even exist and shots with air guns to rusty needles.

Even with all of that, I remember the first time I saw a hypodermic needle. I was 4 years old and when that doctor pulled out that needle, I panicked. My parents held me down to the FLOOR, the doctor put both knees on both shoulders. I was hog tied by 3 people holding me down, AND I still managed to bite that danged doctor's hand!

It was then I got a whack across my head, one on my leg, and one on my butt... all at the same time and then in my horror and shock ... the needle hit my arm!

I yelled and screamed like all hell itself just let loose ever captive since creation! They all let go of me and I ran out that door so fast, the wind couldn't even keep up with me.

I've been terrified of needles ever since, in spite of everything that I've been through since then. I hate needles and I about pass out when I see one.

So, if I ever have to get the Covid shot ... well .... I'll have to be severely incapacitated and probably in a coma before they stick that thing in my body!
Then pray like anything you don't end up with a condition like mine.
For the past three years I have been having injections in my left eye. Not in the skin around my eye, but right in the eyeball.
When I was first informed that I would habe to have them, I asked for a general anasthetic.
That didn't happen and I had the first one with only local anasthetic drops as preparation! It was very scary. But the alternative was to lose the sight in that eye.

Since then I've had more than a dozen of these shots and (thanks to a very caring and gentle eye doc) they have become routine for me.
I remembered as a kid we had an oath;

Cross my heart and hope to die.
Stick a needle in my eye.

Having a needle in our eyes was the worst thing we could imagine happening to us. Never did I imagine...
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:20 PM   #60
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We got our second shot (Moderna) almost 3 weeks ago. Other than "site tenderness" where the injection was done, we had no reaction. Our neighbor had his second Pfizer injection about the same time and he had a fever and felt tired the next day. Everyone that I've talked to with the Moderna series has been OK after the second injection. People who got Pfizer had mild symptoms.

Nobody around here has received the J&J shot, so no reports yet.

Realistically, if any of them, side effects or not, provide an increased protection, it's worth feeling bad for a day (at least to me). I haven't heard of anyone over the age of about 60 or so that's expressed any reluctance to getting vaccinated. Younger folks, around here, have some mixed feelings, but us "old farts" are lining up for shots as soon as we can get scheduled......
The millennial generation seem to believe all vaccinations are totally unnecessary!
I know my DIL is one of those, her kids have not/will get vaccinations for anything. She filed papers at their schools that all those required vaccinations were against their religion, she nor the kids have ever darkened the doorway of a church, but that was the only exemption allowed by the school systems.
We get our second Moderns shot this Friday & expect to be down a day or 2, if we're not that's a plus.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote