Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

data breach in popular social media platforms

I don't have an account with TikTok, Instagram or Facebook (my wife loves Facebook) but just a heads up that your data on those sites may be compromised.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...sumer_10%22%7D
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:17 PM   #2
QCMan
Gone Traveling

LOL ! Your data is sold the minute you sign onto anti-social media.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #3
B-O-B'03

None of that social media stuff for me either... I still used a Nokia flip phone

I have never understood why anyone would voluntarily give up their personal information to a huge data mining regime.

People voluntarily giving their DNA out is another puzzler.

-Brian
Old 08-22-2020, 07:04 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
None of that social media stuff for me either... I still used a Nokia flip phone

I have never understood why anyone would voluntarily give up their personal information to a huge data mining regime.

People voluntarily giving their DNA out is another puzzler.

-Brian

That's funny! My sis gave me a DNA kit from one of those geniology sites for Christmas a couiple years ago and I gifted it back to her last year.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:58 AM   #5
Griffchard

I don't think that social networks are so dangerous for users' data. And although hacker attacks certainly take place, and the data drain of Facebook users that occurred not so long ago confirms this, I am sure that these are only one-time cases. Social networks allow you to find friends worldwide and keep in touch with them. Also, for example, Instagram is now a very effective business promotion tool. There is even a website called 1394ta.org for those who want to self-promote on Instagram properly.
Griffchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:05 PM   #6
Javi

Ever have blood drawn at a doctor's office
Ever bank on line,
Ever pay for a streaming service with a credit card or bank account
Ever have your DL scanned for a firearm purchase

I could go on and on.. but you get the drift.. all your information is already out there including your DNA
Old 04-29-2022, 12:49 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Ever have blood drawn at a doctor's office
Ever bank on line,
Ever pay for a streaming service with a credit card or bank account
Ever have your DL scanned for a firearm purchase

I could go on and on.. but you get the drift.. all your information is already out there including your DNA
Employers go through the social media posts of folks applying for jobs. If it ain't couth to say it in Sunday School, don't put it out publicly. Somebody is reading or watching or hearing.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:56 PM   #8
wrvond

Go to Amazon and look up any item at random then come back to this forum and watch the ads on the right hand side of the page. Pretty quickly you will see ads for that same item you just looked at on a completely different site.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 01:42 PM   #9
travelin texans

Saw a news article a while back about a woman that went into an office complex to interview for her "dream job", on her way to her car she's posting on social media that "I got the job I've always dreamed of! Don't know however how it will be working for that b#$@h I interviewed with though." About 2 minutes after posting she got a call that they'd "changed their mind, the job was given to someone else!".
If anyone thinks employers don't check social media sites these days they are in for a rude awakening!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 02:05 PM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Saw a news article a while back about a woman that went into an office complex to interview for her "dream job", on her way to her car she's posting on social media that "I got the job I've always dreamed of! Don't know however how it will be working for that b#$@h I interviewed with though." About 2 minutes after posting she got a call that they'd "changed their mind, the job was given to someone else!".
If anyone thinks employers don't check social media sites these days they are in for a rude awakening!
I know that I do... don't do the crime unless you can do the time 😁
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 02:24 PM   #11
NH_Bulldog

My fingerprints (and later) DNA have been on file with the Government since I joined the military in 1986. I always joked that I would make the worst criminal ever lol. The closest I have to social media is that my two English Bulldogs have an Instagram account and they aren’t saying much, just posting lazy camping pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7577ED04-B4B0-4B16-A7F2-4F674A2F805B.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	936.6 KB
ID:	39491  
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:53 PM   #12
Mikendebbie

All of that social media stuff never appealed to me and I never joined any of those. I figure if somebody is looking for me they can call me or send an email. I suppose these forums ARE the extent of my social media.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:23 PM   #13
Nankipoo

The truth police have done blocked 95% of my post for the last 2 years. Do I care…..no, makes me post more.
Nankipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 04:57 AM   #14
dutchmensport

And you better believe that someone is sitting in a chair somewhere reading everything posted on THESE forums too, scrutinizing every word too ....

Oh! those people are called "moderators!"
Old 04-30-2022, 05:47 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
And you better believe that someone is sitting in a chair somewhere reading everything posted on THESE forums too, scrutinizing every word too ....

Oh! those people are called "moderators!"
The moderators do read EVERY word posted on this forum... You can rest assured of that fact...

HOWEVER, if you take a look at the lower section of the forum "front page", the listing of all sections, down toward the bottom, you'll see a section titled, "WHAT'S GOING ON".... The first section of that is a listing of everyone (by name and/or by IP) that is currently logged onto the forum. Right now, for example, there are 642 active users. 24 of them are members and 618 are "guests"... Some of those "guests are Google bots, some are other "monitoring bots" (the kind that monitor your web browsing and trigger those ads on the forum that you see after searching something outside the forum... But, some of those "guests" are IP's that resolve to Russia, China, North Korea, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bulgaria, India, Argentina, Chile, Ukraine, Germany, and a host of other places, most that have NEVER seen a Keystone RV..... So, without a doubt, there are people monitoring every keystroke made on this forum (not moderators) and their purpose for watching everything you type or reviewing every photo you post may not be "Keystone related"....

Think for a moment, you've got your location and your name listed on your forum profile. You make a post in the Campgrounds section of the forum, saying you're planning a trip to Florida and want to know the names of recommended campgrounds in that area. In that thread, you make a post that you've found "just the perfect campground" and reserved a site for the first week of May. Those "618 guests" also have access to that post and, you can rest assured, that somewhere in Russia and somewhere in China, a "bot knows that John Smith, from Victorville, CA, that lives in a HOA that doesn't allow his trailer to be stored next to his garage" will be in Florida the first week of May.... What better way to know the "perfect time to search John Smith's residence" knowing he won't be home and they've got the entire week to empty the house......

Yes, moderators read every word you type, but we're not the only ones who know what you post here.... Some of them also know where you browse on other sites, what you had for lunch and where your i-phone was last registered as you walked through the front door of Dillard's this morning at 10:19, in Victorville.....

The "world gets more transparent" with every bit of information someone can "glean from the tidbits"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 06:43 AM   #16
wiredgeorge

Soon we will be able to let our moderators enjoy the forum without having to moderate as I believe the DHS will be taking the lead in that regard.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/may...vernance-board
Old 04-30-2022, 11:20 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Soon we will be able to let our moderators enjoy the forum without having to moderate as I believe the DHS will be taking the lead in that regard.

Thanks George, that really made my day! Sounds like some folks have been studying how "that other country" controls "misinformation" to make sure the narrative is correct.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 11:28 AM   #18
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post

I heard a rumor that one of her very first campaigns will be to order Keystone to destroy their entire stock of decals that say "Half-Ton Towable."

Old 04-30-2022, 03:04 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I heard a rumor that one of her very first campaigns will be to order Keystone to destroy their entire stock of decals that say "Half-Ton Towable."

One can only hope !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 03:34 PM   #20
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
You know some misinformation is really really annoying... 1/2 Ton Towable is in that category for sure.