Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2020, 07:39 PM   #1
Farmallf20puller

2004 Keystone Tailgator XT 329T5 Fender Skirts

I have a '2004 Keystone Tailgator XT 329T5 Toy Hauler 5th Wheel to which needs replacement (white color) fender skirts as the original ones have seen their better days with cracking and being brittle due to 16 years of use and seeing the sun for 6 months each year. I have been doing an extensive search to no availability on the website. I went to websites like ICON to find that they do not have the exact match, and do not have any history of having fender skirts for my year of Tailgator also to which I find puzzling. I also have gone to various Keystone Dealers to which they will take your VIN ID Number to send off to the factory to have no information come back to have the dealer pretty much tell me that they probably are not going to have anything to offer due to my "Tausmahal" being 16 years old.

In a phone conversation with ICON, I know they do custom made to order using the old skirts for a premium cost with a long lead time due to the backlog the pandemic made happen. But before I go that direction of custom manufactured, I wanted to see if any other Tailgator owners found something that I could not find myself in the world of Tailgator ownership?

Know in advance any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Farmallf20puller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:17 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

I was in the same boat as I have a 2002 Cougar and my driver side fender skirt in particular had gotten really ratty and beaten up (my driving isn't great and I scraped it buying gas a few times). I went to eBay to the RV parts and accessories section and typed in "fender skirt keystone" and bingo, a number of them came up. I measured my current fender skits and all those sold are pretty close in length. Main difference is top to bottom measurement so I picked the once closest. Purchased a pair and they look pretty much like the originals and I used the same stand off brackets that keep the fender from flopping but did buy new stainless self tapping scrws for the install. The holes didn't line up very well. I am pretty pleased with the result and didn't cost a bunch of money.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

You have options:

Here is one: https://www.recpro.com/tandem-rv-fen...20-%20Exterior

Another: https://www.rvshop.com/Fender-Skirts_c_1224.html

And Icon: https://www.icondirect.com/lookup-our-skirts/

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:31 PM   #4
luehring1

Yesterday I was searching (unsuccessfully) high and low for a sales brochure on the 2004 Keystone Tailgators, as I am in the process of renovating my unit, and I came across this posting. I have the exact same fifth wheel toy hauler, you have (year and model) with the same problem. I bought mine three years ago without any fender skirts. At the time, I looked through over 100 different fender skirts and never found an exact match, so I gave up, and I am interested in seeing what you find out. I wish I could help you, but you've already helped me as I joined Keystone RV Forum today. If you find a match, or even one that works, please post your successful outcome. Thanks!
luehring1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:29 PM   #5
Farmallf20puller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luehring1 View Post
Yesterday I was searching (unsuccessfully) high and low for a sales brochure on the 2004 Keystone Tailgators, as I am in the process of renovating my unit, and I came across this posting. I have the exact same fifth wheel toy hauler, you have (year and model) with the same problem. I bought mine three years ago without any fender skirts. At the time, I looked through over 100 different fender skirts and never found an exact match, so I gave up, and I am interested in seeing what you find out. I wish I could help you, but you've already helped me as I joined Keystone RV Forum today. If you find a match, or even one that works, please post your successful outcome. Thanks!
I will keep you in mind on what i come across as we move forward. You say you are renovating your Taigator, what are you using for replacement graphics? The ones on mine is curling up due to UV sun, and does not look too pretty.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #6
luehring1

This morning I took Chuckster57's recommendation and ordered the $99 fender skirt set from RecPro. They are a few inches off from the silicone outline still left on my identical rig, but perhaps they will work -- they can't look any worse. For $99, I don't have that much to lose. I will let you know how they work out.

Perhaps a better description of what I am doing is "upgrading" instead of "renovating". I've replaced one of the opposing folding couch / bed units with a fixed dinette set, added laminate flooring, added a peel-and-stick sink backsplash, and painted the interior walls, among other things. I also ordered a TPU diamond plated rubber floor covering for the garage area in the same order from RecPro. My graphics are faded and a little cracked when viewed up close, but not peeling at all. Recoating the roof, repairing a broken window frame, and adding these fender skirts is all I plan to do to the exterior. I will probably buy some graphic restoration product in the future, but I haven't had any luck with these in the past; and I'm not inclined to spend a lot of money on something that's not going to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0482.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	29270   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3910.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	29271   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3914.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	29272  
luehring1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:38 AM   #7
Farmallf20puller

#952 Fender Skirts from Sierra RV Parts

Hello Fellow Keystone Tailgator Owners,

As you can see by my thread on the forum in regards to fender skirts on my '2004 Keystone Tailgator 329T5 XT Fifth Wheel, i have been on the search for quite a while.

I recently came across a possible match on Sierra RV Parts for their #952 Fender Skirts. They mention that it will fit "some" Tailgator's and the Keystone NRG Model Units.

My question is has anyone purchased this skirt for there unit? I wanted to see if others are out there with feedback before purchasing. Yes, i could purchase a set, but Sierra RV does not accept returns for the cost/investment along with shipping costs being close to $100. So i thought i would ask first before taking a chance.

Thanks to all whom have contributed to my post.

Thanks,
Farmallf20puller
Old 05-08-2022, 10:46 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Not that this link will provide you a cheaper source, but there is a pretty clear measurement diagram that might help you better decide if they will fit your trailer. https://www.ebay.com/itm/113256047805

In the event the link doesn't work (sometimes EBay deletes items way too quickly, here's the diagrams with measurements.

A few things to keep in mind:
All tandem trailer axles in those years were 33" wheelbase. That's 33" from the center of one axle to the center of the following axle. So, if the axle wheelbase is correct AND if the fender skirt is long enough to cover the cutout, it's the "correct size" and should fit. The only concern would be whether it comes down far enough to cover the "J-wrap cuts" at the front and back of the wheelwell. You can always "disguise the unfinished cuts" on the J-wrap with a short piece of vinyl molding or even with a bead of silicone to mask the sharp edges.

If you install "both sides" then there's no "evidence of replacement if they aren't the same" so buying two matching fender skirts that fit the cutout won't be a distraction on most units and it comes more to color choice and installation workmanship than about whether there's a "K" in the logo or if the logo is just a blank oval.....

Here's a link to a pair of fender skirts that may fit your trailer and are significantly less than the shipping from Sierra RV. Even though they are 2" shorter in total length, with proper trimming of the existing J-wrap, you may find that they fit your existing wheelwell area "close enough to call it a "wrap" (pun intended).... https://www.ebay.com/itm/17431417808...id=23038145491

Hope it helps.

Doing a Fourm member search, I can't find any members who own a 2004 Tailgator and only 3 that own a Tailgator of any year. All three of them have been inactive for at least 2 years and one has been inactive for 9 years, so not much chance of finding someone who has the same trailer and even less of a chance of finding someone who has replaced a fender skirt on a Tailgator....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone