Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2021, 12:00 PM   #41
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
Good Afternoon,

We at HiSpec want our end-users to know that we stand behind our tires and wheels, if you are having any issues with either our wheels or tires, please contact us at [email protected]. HiSpec does not use a house brand mold for our Oracle or Sonoran tire brands. Our team of engineers designs all of our wheels and tires in our Indiana facility where we have an onsite test facility and use third-party testing facilities for our products. We strive to provide safe reliable products yet at some point issues will occur and we try to handle issues in a fair responsible way to the end user.
What is your tire plant code?
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:14 AM   #42
ChuckS

Hispec seems to make decent RV wheels BUT their ST series 235/80x16 tires being bought by Keystone Alpine division and installed are pure crap..

Images are from 2021 Alpines .. tires with less then 2500 miles, proper cold inflation and tow speeds under 70mph..

Oracle Hispec tires installed OEM by Keystone on Alpine fifth wheels are JUNK…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	628E7820-10F8-495F-84C9-E9AB7ADB7C92.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	36896   Click image for larger version

Name:	7DC960E7-01C5-428B-90FF-AEB189BB775A.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	36897   Click image for larger version

Name:	3DAA0115-BE7A-44EC-863B-F901A941A841.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	36898   Click image for larger version

Name:	2358E154-3BE2-4EC9-B29A-BE38F7F8BF5E.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	36899  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:55 AM   #43
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Hispec seems to make decent RV wheels BUT their ST series 235/80x16 tires being bought by Keystone Alpine division and installed are pure crap..

Images are from 2021 Alpines .. tires with less then 2500 miles, proper cold inflation and tow speeds under 70mph..

Oracle Hispec tires installed OEM by Keystone on Alpine fifth wheels are JUNK…
There are questions that needs to be answered here. That's a polyester cased tire. What size and load range is it? The specs call for ST235/80R16 LRG. Does Oracle/Hispec not build a steel cased tire in that size and load range?
Old 11-04-2021, 08:11 AM   #44
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
There are questions that needs to be answered here. That's a polyester cased tire. What size and load range is it? The specs call for ST235/80R16 LRG. Does Oracle/Hispec not build a steel cased tire in that size and load range?
This link is the tire and wheel installed OEM on 2021 Keystone Alpines.. It is crap.. period

https://www.trekwood.com/products/14...8-Lug-Nitrogen

Old 11-04-2021, 08:29 AM   #45
wiredgeorge

Quote:
This link is the tire and wheel installed OEM on 2021 Keystone Alpines.. It is crap.. period

https://www.trekwood.com/products/14...8-Lug-Nitrogen
Ok... but that tire is at a great price of only $470 plus shipping. Have to start saving my pennies!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:18 AM   #46
notanlines

George, this is Trekwood, carrier of the finest RV parts and tires on the planet. Why would you question them selling a $99.00 tire for $470.00?
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:11 AM   #47
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Ok... but that tire is at a great price of only $470 plus shipping. Have to start saving my pennies!
Yup... the link used for reference... I would not buy from Trekwood unless I had to but they do have a nice reference database to draw from

And I contacted Keystone customer service and asked specifically if this tire was serviced with "Nitrogen" since it has the green cap...

The response was yes... as far as they knew...

But I also asked "WHAT ARE YOU AIRING THE TIRES UP WITH PRIOR TO SHIPPING" and the response was "we don't know"

MY POINT IS.... this OEM installed Hispec tire is crap and should not be installed on the Keystone Alpine.. or any other RV...

Old 11-04-2021, 03:24 PM   #48
CWtheMan

Quote:
Yup... the link used for reference... I would not buy from Trekwood unless I had to but they do have a nice reference database to draw from

And I contacted Keystone customer service and asked specifically if this tire was serviced with "Nitrogen" since it has the green cap...

The response was yes... as far as they knew...

But I also asked "WHAT ARE YOU AIRING THE TIRES UP WITH PRIOR TO SHIPPING" and the response was "we don't know"

MY POINT IS.... this OEM installed Hispec tire is crap and should not be installed on the Keystone Alpine.. or any other RV...
Like many others, you're unhappy with OEM tires. However, what has 100% nitrogen or green valve caps got to do with tire quality?

From the time the trailer leaves the factory to the time of first sale there is no record of tire care. And, you have not provided your tire maintenance practices.

Will you please provide a date of manufacturer and tire plant code from the information on the tire sidewall? Maybe the plant has a history of providing marginal tires. But, I doubt it because there have been zero recalls on hundreds of millions of ST tires. So, "crap" is really your opinion?
Old 11-04-2021, 04:40 PM   #49
sourdough
Site Team

I think "crap" is probably a good descriptor for many of the OEM tires; cheapest option from the cheapest manufacturer usually equals crap.

Recalls would result from "known" complaints filed with NHTSA etc. Most folks gripe, buy new tires and then talk about it...myself included. I have no use for a "recall" on tires...to what, get new crap tires? I view the recall as a HUGE red flag that many folks found a product that defective. Get OEM on the trailer, remove them before they leave the lot and be "very" happy IMO.

If folks would look at the plant code I think it would narrow it down quickly to poorly run plants, bad inspection practices or build requirements. Lots of info for owners to try to gather and provide that would result in nothing for their benefit. As noted the manufacturer just picks another plant, another mold and another questionable, unknown, manufacturing process/compound and continues on.

In the end, IMO, we're back to what "owners" experience and their opinions based on their experiences. I deal with that, not with who decided to jump hoops to file an NHTSA complaint and see if something ever surfaced. I do think that anyone with a failure should absolutely pull the plant manufacturer code/location. I figure we would find that would narrow it down pretty quick.

As far as the tires as we receive them on a new trailer - I figure they're shot when they get to their destination. Funny, but I just visited with a guy that said he delivered RVs from Indiana (moving Uhauls now). While filling with fuel I asked if they ever worried about tire pressure, condition etc. His answer? Not at all. Hooked up and rolled..... Now -

Bought this trailer new and had them put new Sailuns on it before I got there to pick it up. STRESSED that they were 110psi tires and not the 95psi tires that were OEM and I wanted them aired to that for pick up. What did I find when I arrived? I asked what the psi was in the tires....service advisor said he didn't know. I asked if he did not get my request for the 110 and he said he did....so, what was it? He didn't know. Asked the SM (copied on email) and he didn't know. Air pressure from the dealer on new 110psi Sailuns? Best was 60 and the spare was 47. Think about what the trailer had from the "quality' manufacturer, picked up and hammered across the country then you pick it up and think it's "primo"......mistake.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:35 PM   #50
ChuckS

waste of my time

'

Old 11-05-2021, 05:34 AM   #51
Ken / Claudia

In 04, I bought a 28 ft Wilderness at a dealer 70 miles from home. I new a lot about ST tires back than but not as much as now. I signed a sales contract and was coming back the following week for the PDI, I told them to air up the low tire.
Got there a week later the trailer had been moved several acers to the pick up area and still had a tire that looked flat. I than used my tire gauge all 4 and the spare where way under max. psi. They than aired all tires up, before handing over the check I informed the sales manager that I was going to the nearby tire shop to have tires inspected and any with damage will be returned.
I think I paid about 50 bucks to have tires deflated, inspected and steel valves installed. Tire shop said they were ok. So off we went to take the RV to a beach property 75 miles away without any problems.
Looking back on that day, I should have not taken delivery of the unit until new tires where installed. No telling how long or how many times the dealer moved that unit around with at least 1 tire appearing to be flat. I do not remember the tire brand.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:37 AM   #52
CWtheMan

Quote:
waste of my time

'
Then why did you come on here complaining?
Old 11-05-2021, 09:20 AM   #53
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Then why did you come on here complaining?
Calvin, Was Chuck complaining or telling about his experience with this tire brand? Chuck is generally one of the most knowledgeable posters on this site as he has vast experience with many Keystone branded campers and their tires. I am sure you are also a guru but taking a fairly civil discussion to not so civil is counter-productive. I have no knowlege of the Hispec tires, their wheels or their company but it seems that they have a company rep haunting this site and he mentioned the tires were proprietary US design and made overseas as memory serves. Probably best to let the user Hispec take on issues posed and allow members with first hand experience to voice their concerns about the brand without pressing them for plant numbers or date codes as these are certainly not recorded and I doubt these tires are sitting somewhere to be examined; they looked pretty much like trash.
Old 11-05-2021, 12:15 PM   #54
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Calvin, Was Chuck complaining or telling about his experience with this tire brand? Chuck is generally one of the most knowledgeable posters on this site as he has vast experience with many Keystone branded campers and their tires. I am sure you are also a guru but taking a fairly civil discussion to not so civil is counter-productive. I have no knowlege of the Hispec tires, their wheels or their company but it seems that they have a company rep haunting this site and he mentioned the tires were proprietary US design and made overseas as memory serves. Probably best to let the user Hispec take on issues posed and allow members with first hand experience to voice their concerns about the brand without pressing them for plant numbers or date codes as these are certainly not recorded and I doubt these tires are sitting somewhere to be examined; they looked pretty much like trash.
Do you not wonder how they got to be "trash"?

Would you not do some investigating into the cause before going to the bottom line with a "trash" statement?

Were they already "trash" when purchased on the trailer or become "trash" when they failed?

If "Chuck is that savvy about that brand, why didn't he have them replaced before first sale? There are a lot of other name brands that could have been approved by Keystone for use on that trailer.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #55
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Do you not wonder how they got to be "trash"?

Would you not do some investigating into the cause before going to the bottom line with a "trash" statement?

Were they already "trash" when purchased on the trailer or become "trash" when they failed?

If "Chuck is that savvy about that brand, why didn't he have them replaced before first sale? There are a lot of other name brands that could have been approved by Keystone for use on that trailer.
Perhaps the tires came off of rigs that Chuck worked on? Why did I replace the tires on my 2002 the first time? I honestly can't recall the brand but they were outdated... more that 4 years old. Perhaps these tires were outdated, perhaps they ran over a nail or perhaps the tread separated. After I replaced my tires the first time I ignored the spare which looked like new. The four on the trailer axles looked fine but were about 3 years old or a tad more. Got them replaced with Carlisle which I personally have had good luck with. Went out by my trailer one day and the spare had a "bubble" in the center of the tread. A couple days later BANG... blew to pieces and I bought a new spare. It is a "house brand" from Big O Tire and was the only one they had in stock in the correct size. I keep it aired up and a cover on and inspect it when I check tire pressures before taking the camper out. Did I try and do a post mortem on the spare that blew up? Nope... wasn't worth the effort.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:57 AM   #56
ChuckS

The IMAGES of the TIRES I POSTED on ARE NOT FROM MY ALPINE...

**** Maybe my glasses are bad or I can't comprehend what I thought I posted but I could swear that I stated the images were NOT MY TIRES ****

The images I posted about are from FOUR different Alpine owners with 2021 Keystone Alpines with the OEM installed Oracle Hispec 235/80x16 tire that is 14 ply G rated

And I will state again... based on these four failures I posted about ... and there are others with this specific tire that have had failures as seen in the images.. that THESE ORACLE HISPEC tires are CRAP..

The failures range from mileages of as little as 500 to some around 3000 miles...

I am not complaining about the tires.. instead trying to advise people these Oracle Hispec tires in the 235/80x16 are having issues... they are CRAP and appear to be as reliable as Towmax and Trailer King tires were in the past

If they were on my Alpine I would replace them immediately..

They ARE NOT on my Alpine... I run a Geo Star 14 ply tire on my Alpine and have since May 2015.. I upsized the OEM tire from 235/80x16 E rated 10 ply to 235/85x16 14 ply G rated tires 1 month after purchase because the tires (Trailer Kings) were ticking time bombs

the very next year (2015) All Keystone Alpines came equipped with 14 ply G rated tires instead of the E rated 10 ply tires from 2014.

The OEM tires were made by Provider and were G rated 14 ply and have had good success on ALL Keystone Alpines since 2015

****The 2021 Keystone Alpines started coming equipped with the ORACLE HISPEC Nitrogen filled tire that is 14 ply G rated... or so it says on the sidewall and the tire IS FAILING ... aas seen in my first post about the Oracle Hispec tire being CRAP... and CRAP is just exactly what it is.....

I DO NOT have the following info:
1. Tire date codes
2. Tire plant build codes
3. Tire pressure run by the OPs
4. MPH at time of failure
5. If tires were covered and protected from UV exposure
6. Ambient temperature of the day at time of tire failure
7. Number of miles towed by delivery service from Keystone plant to dealership
... etc

Old 11-06-2021, 05:31 AM   #57
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
The IMAGES of the TIRES I POSTED on ARE NOT FROM MY ALPINE...

**** Maybe my glasses are bad or I can't comprehend what I thought I posted but I could swear that I stated the images were NOT MY TIRES ****

The images I posted about are from FOUR different Alpine owners with 2021 Keystone Alpines with the OEM installed Oracle Hispec 235/80x16 tire that is 14 ply G rated

And I will state again... based on these four failures I posted about ... and there are others with this specific tire that have had failures as seen in the images.. that THESE ORACLE HISPEC tires are CRAP..

The failures range from mileages of as little as 500 to some around 3000 miles...

I am not complaining about the tires.. instead trying to advise people these Oracle Hispec tires in the 235/80x16 are having issues... they are CRAP and appear to be as reliable as Towmax and Trailer King tires were in the past

If they were on my Alpine I would replace them immediately..

They ARE NOT on my Alpine... I run a Geo Star 14 ply tire on my Alpine and have since May 2015.. I upsized the OEM tire from 235/80x16 E rated 10 ply to 235/85x16 14 ply G rated tires 1 month after purchase because the tires (Trailer Kings) were ticking time bombs

the very next year (2015) All Keystone Alpines came equipped with 14 ply G rated tires instead of the E rated 10 ply tires from 2014.

The OEM tires were made by Provider and were G rated 14 ply and have had good success on ALL Keystone Alpines since 2015

****The 2021 Keystone Alpines started coming equipped with the ORACLE HISPEC Nitrogen filled tire that is 14 ply G rated... or so it says on the sidewall and the tire IS FAILING ... aas seen in my first post about the Oracle Hispec tire being CRAP... and CRAP is just exactly what it is.....

I DO NOT have the following info:
1. Tire date codes
2. Tire plant build codes
3. Tire pressure run by the OPs
4. MPH at time of failure
5. If tires were covered and protected from UV exposure
6. Ambient temperature of the day at time of tire failure
7. Number of miles towed by delivery service from Keystone plant to dealership
... etc
Chuck,

Thanks for relaying the information from another forum source. I'm sure members who have these tires are interested in their performance/reliability issues regardless of the ambient temperature at failure or tire plant codes...

This should NOT have been a "shoot the messenger" event, but unfortunately, it turned into one...

Thanks again for the information. It'll help those new owners who have 2021 Alpines that are equipped with HiSpec brand as OEM tires. Hopefully, Keystone RV is well aware of the problem and taking action to prevent issues with future production.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:34 AM   #58
sourdough
Site Team

John is correct and this should not have been a "shoot the messenger" issue. I (most) depend on real life owner reported issues vs something from the NHTSA. A miniscule percentage of failures are reported to them simply because it is a waste of time and effort that will not change the actions the owner has to take to fix his problem.

When a trend is beginning, as we are seeing, with Hi Spec tires that seem to mirror what happened with Trailer King/Tow Max it is a help for all owners to hear of them and be aware. Heck, I was aware of the TK issue and "thought" I could make it a couple of years....that was a costly mistake. Now I try to give anyone a heads up that will listen just as Chuck has tried to do in this thread. I also don't think a failure is "not real" unless reported to the NHTSA for the reasons stated above. I did mention looking up the plant code simply for the owner's own edification. It can shed some light if there is a recurring problem. I appreciate Chuck putting the information out, it might save someone a $7k bill in the future.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:12 PM   #59
flybouy
Site Team

I've said this in the past but I'll repeate myself. There's the analytical world of gathering the facts abd then there's the reality " of the moment". It's easy to set in an office and say " send me all the evidence and facts and I'll tell you what happened". The reality of the issue is that the vast majority of trailer tires are mfg ofdshore with little oversite. Then they are container shipped accross the world, with no oversite. After they are installed there's no telling what treatment they received while the trailer was transported from point A to point B for sale. So in my humble opinion EVERYONE is rendering an opinion, some of it total BS.

The reality of the situation as I see it is a tire fails, often it's considered a "new" or "barely used" tire. The brands of these failed tires are fairly consistant. So there you are, failed tire, often tires and you need to replace them and get on with your life. Reality, take the time to record everything, spend perhaps hours calling the government agency and who knows if you'll talk to someone who knows Jack Sprat about tires to what end? No, I think the reality is the owner wants to get that CRAP TIRES off their trailer ASAP and the person replacing the tires says "Yup, we see these CRAP TIRES fail all the time."

What I don’t understand is how someone can can proclaim that "they don’t talk brands" and promote themselves as having an unbiased scientific approach and yet come running to the defense of certian brands when they fail and are called "CRAP ".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #60
wiredgeorge

I think Calvin's point is that the tires are regulated and must conform to certain standards and that if they meet the standard of the tire placard, they conform. I don't think he was promoting Hispec tires or any other brand, just saying they conformed to the criteria of the OEM (Keystone). Subjective experience with these tires has shown they are crap but do conform to Keystone's standard. Hispec was likely low bidder or available when other brands were not or at a high cost to Keystone.

Tags
tires