Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Bob Landry

Outback & Rear Ladder

Has anyone added a ladder to a 10thAnniv Edition Outback? I called Keystones customer service to ask a question about my yet to be picked up new Outback. My question was, can a ladder be added to the Outback? I got the canned response of "If it doesn't come with it, then we don't recommend adding one". Then I go back and look at the 10thAV Brochure and there it is in B&W.."Braced for rear ladder". So, has anyone done it, did you DIY, or did you have the dealer install it?
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
tocools

As long as it is over 19ft long they it can be done the brackets are in there already. We had the dealer do ours. so the answer is yes.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Berick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Has anyone added a ladder to a 10thAnniv Edition Outback? I called Keystones customer service to ask a question about my yet to be picked up new Outback. My question was, can a ladder be added to the Outback? I got the canned response of "If it doesn't come with it, then we don't recommend adding one". Then I go back and look at the 10thAV Brochure and there it is in B&W.."Braced for rear ladder". So, has anyone done it, did you DIY, or did you have the dealer install it?
I just bought a 298RE 10 Anniversary Outback as well and was wondering why it didn't have a ladder? The dealer told me they don't want us up there so they didn't put a ladder on.... to discourage people from going up there. Mine won't be in until the end of April but I am pretty excited! I hope I didn't mess up and buy another poorly made trailer again.
Berick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berick View Post
I just bought a 298RE 10 Anniversary Outback as well and was wondering why it didn't have a ladder? The dealer told me they don't want us up there so they didn't put a ladder on.... to discourage people from going up there. Mine won't be in until the end of April but I am pretty excited! I hope I didn't mess up and buy another poorly made trailer again.
Interesting. The dealer needs to go to Keystone's website and watch the Exterior walk-around video. They talk about the galvanized steel trusses and the coverings which they say "lets you walk around on the roof without concern". Yiu have to wonder how some of these dealers are even able to sell a trailer.

As far as a permanently installed ladder, I abandoned that idea in favor of a 12.5' telescoping ladder that will not only get me up on the roof for the few times that will be necessary, but it will aid in cleaning off the tops of the slide-outs. The price is probably about the same and much more versatility.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
jq1031

Smile

Bob.....My new TT, also yet to be picked up is a 2011 Laredo 297RL. The rear ladder question came up & my dealer called the Keystone factory rep. while I was at the dealership, Lazydays RV in Florida. His answer to why no rear ladder, was very simple & direct. The back of my TT has a very large picture window & to maintain the integrity of the window, window seal and the surrounding rear structure no ladder or brackets or any kind of mounting support brackets were added. The back of that trailer is not to be used to support a person climbing on the roof, although once on the roof you're fine.
The answer to my situation is buying folding ladder to use when needed. It will also be less expensive and can be used for other things. Hope that helped!
Joe
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Bob Landry

I've already got the ladder. It's 12.5 ft that telescopes down to around 30". I cut a piece of indoor/outdoor and had it stitched on both side to make a sleeve to slip over the top of the ladder so when I lean it against the trailer, it won't mar the gelcoat. That should work well.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
jq1031

Sounds good, where did you get the ladder? I thought of using some heavy socks for the top of the ladder.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #8
Bob Landry

From Amazon. It's the Extend & Climb 12 1/2' model. It was $182.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
Berick

I think I agree with the portable ladder idea. If there are mixed reviews on installing one on the back of my unit, I think I'll just play it safe and get a collapsable ladder.
Berick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
Bob Landry

The 10th Anniv Outback brochure specifically states that the back is "braced" for a ladder. It's not a big deal since I'm opting to not go that way, but it does illustrate that Keystone's design, production people, and reps might want to start talking to each other occasionally.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berick View Post
Add the dealers to the above comment about communicating. The brochure and on-line video go into detail about roof construction and that it is "walkable". I wonder if these people feel any embarrassment when they get quoted something off of their own website?