Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
KanTC

Post Over-head power vents/fans & roof vent covers

There's several posts throughout our forum about adding an over-head power vent/fan, and great suggestions for roof vent covers -- I'll add my post here for those who may only search the Mods and Upgrades section.

Last year we found [stumbled upon ] another option when replacing the basic O/H bedroom vent in our Laredo.

Maxx-Fan Deluxe model 5100K (manual operation)... is an all-in-one low profile unit, so there's no need for a roof vent cover and it's only 5" high (when closed).

http://www.maxxair.com/manual-maxxfan.html Info, photo gallery & video

We've had (& still have) other brands of power vents/fans and 9"+ high roof vent covers. In fairness, I'd say this fan itself is very comparable although I think it's quieter... I'm a light sleeper. The selling point for us was the fact that (in our situation) it wouldn't add to our over-all height. Your results may vary, of course!

Just an FYI to those looking for possible options.

Terri, the co-pilot [& DH Kevin]
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanTC View Post
There's several posts throughout our forum about adding an over-head power vent/fan, and great suggestions for roof vent covers -- I'll add my post here for those who may only search the Mods and Upgrades section.

Last year we found [stumbled upon ] another option when replacing the basic O/H bedroom vent in our Laredo.

Maxx-Fan Deluxe model 5100K (manual operation)... is an all-in-one low profile unit, so there's no need for a roof vent cover and it's only 5" high (when closed).

http://www.maxxair.com/manual-maxxfan.html Info, photo gallery & video

We've had (& still have) other brands of power vents/fans and 9"+ high roof vent covers. In fairness, I'd say this fan itself is very comparable although I think it's quieter... I'm a light sleeper. The selling point for us was the fact that (in our situation) it wouldn't add to our over-all height. Your results may vary, of course!

Just an FYI to those looking for possible options.

Terri, the co-pilot [& DH Kevin]
I went crazy and bought 4 of these for my unit. (yes 4)... 3 manual 5100 series and one remote 7100 series. I bought them back in sept paid 225 each for the manual opening and 300 for the remote version. Prices vary but I felt I got a good deal, bought in Washington state almost 100 dollars a unit cheaper than home.

What drew me to these was:

- like the low profile lid. Will operate when driving has a locking lid..

- will run when vent is closed. Great to circulate warm air back down. Also good when raining if you want air moving. Also runs intake or exhaust.

- all in one unit didn't need to buy a vent cover, so almost same price.

- 10 speed fan and they are quiet. I too am a light sleeper.

- draws less than 0.2 amps on low speed. Great when running off batteries. If dry camping In most summer weather good alternative to air conditioning and generator running all night. Sometimes there is no generator option at nightnso these work wonders.

so do I need four.. Well... I needed vent covers then I talked myself into having 2 intake and two exhaust....

The remote unit is for the main floor. Ceiling height would require assistance to reach the ceiling controls so picked a remote control unit. The bedroom, bathroom and back loft have vents so i bought manual units.

Bedroom for sure, main floor for sure, on a warm night one as exhaust one as intake.. I wired up the basic 12 volt fan to a wall switch already, but would need a different vent cover if I keep it... Loft has a cheap vent cover from factory Only reason I can think of is prevents small kid from climbing out onto roof..

So when weather gets better I will decide what to install. Opened one box to look at it, pleased with fit and finish. Hooked up to 12volts fan moves a lot of air and is quiet.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
antiqfreq

We have Shur flo reversible fans in our bedroom and living room area.
We have the Maxx air vent covers on also in 3 areas.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote