Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
1st. Knight

Smile Slide Toppers

I have a 2010 Cougar 276RLS and looking at purchasing a Slide Topper. Looking for comments on brands. Carefree versus A&E plus the different styles. Any Suggestions would be appreciated. By the way, We Love our fifthwheel and any warranty issues I had were taken care at local dealer and not the dealer I purchased from. Can't say enough good things about R&R Rv in Spokane.
1st. Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

We have an '08 Cougar 28RKS and recently purchased an A&E/Dometic from Camping World in WA who also did the install. It has been on only for about 6 mos and hasn't had that much use but so far we are happy with it. It does the job, works just fine and we are glad that we went ahead and got one.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
1st. Knight

Thank you for feedback. I hate having to go up on the roof when I am about to go home and sweeping all the pine needles off when it is raining. Kind of concerned over slipping and falling. Long ways down for an "Old Fart".
Old 01-18-2011, 04:45 AM   #4
Jim W

This is my second 5er and both have slide toppers. The first one had the Carefree of Co and this Cougar has the Dometic style of topper on it. Other than mounting they are very similar to each other. When it rains hard and the slide is out, they will retain water on top. Do not stand next to the slides has they are pulled in if moving the next day. You will get a good shower from the slide has it comes in with all the water the topper can hold. Another thing that you can do is place a beach ball under the topper to raise it up but then you need a ladder to place it under and remove it. This will keep water from pooling on top.
Some campers have complained of toppers flapping in the wind on real windy days. I have never notice this on my unit. I do move the slides in and out per the instructions if we are camped longer than 4 days in a row on the same site.
I would not own any type of camper with a slide without a topper on it.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
antiqfreq

We installed A&E Dometic toppers in November of 2009 before we starting fulltiming and they were easy to install and are doing a great job.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
1st. Knight

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am going to the RV show this weekend and plan on seeing if someone wants to cut me a deal. Buying online is too expensive when considering shipping charges. Sounds like either brand of topper will do me fine.
Can't wait for spring and camp fires once again.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
mhs4771

I agree with others, wouldn't be without slide toppers. Have A&E/Dometic on our Montana as that is what the Dealer carried, so that's what was installed.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
Dutch & Di

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st. Knight View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am going to the RV show this weekend and plan on seeing if someone wants to cut me a deal. Buying online is too expensive when considering shipping charges. Sounds like either brand of topper will do me fine.
Can't wait for spring and camp fires once again.
One suggestion I'd like to make is be SURE you know what fabric you are getting. We loved our fabric from Carefree but when we did a "redo" last year, we had to get new awnings and toppers to match and assumed the material would be the same quality---It Wasn't. Lesson learned there. Diana
Old 01-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
Devildogmom

Question

Since we are going to order our Cougar, is it a good idea to order it with the slide toppers?
Devildogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

I think that would be a good idea and perhaps you can work out a deal with your dealership in the process. I think the general consensus is that nearly everyone who has them thinks that slidetoppers very worthwhile so why wait until later to get them?
Old 01-27-2011, 04:45 AM   #11
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildogmom View Post
Since we are going to order our Cougar, is it a good idea to order it with the slide toppers?
When I bought the 318SAB Cougar last Feb 10, I had the dealer provide them for free. We had the final price of the Cougar with trade in of our other 5th wheel. Then the dealer wanted to know if this was a good price or not. My DW and I talked about it off to the side, away from the dealer. Then went back and said if he included the three slide toppers for free with installation, then he had a deal. This also included the 16" tires on the unit.
He said OK when do you want the unit and how much money will you put down on it.

So I would suggest that if possible I would get the dealer to throw them in for free with installation.

Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote