Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
brenda57

New to forum with questions about 1/2ton

We currently have a Flagstaff 25D and are looking for something bigger with slides. Interested in Cougar 5th wheel but right now we only have a Ford F150. Don't plan to do any long trips for now. Is the 1/2 ton new for 2011 or will we be able to find one in an earlier year model?
brenda57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
KanTC

Hi Brenda & welcome,

The Cougar line has been around since 1999, and the Cougar X-Lite (5th wheel) since 2008.

Am I correct - you're asking about the 5th wheels advertised as "1/2 ton towable" ??

If so, then... please be aware that (regardless of the marketing labels & despite what salesmen may say), in a real world situation with any 1/2 ton truck, your choice of 5th wheels (any brand) will be very limited, at best.

There are several Cougar owners here, I'm sure they can offer more specific info on those 5th wheels.

Good luck!

Terri [& DH Kevin]
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:22 AM   #3
Flyguy

Pulling a 1/2 ton towable 5ver with a 1/2 ton truck can be a tricky business; I can only relate my experiences to you with my truck. I looked at many so called 1/2 ton towables and found after looking at their specs that they really are better towed with a 3/4 ton truck, now that being said I looked into what could be done to my Tundra to be able to do this. First I consulted a forum dedicated to the Tundra and talked to many members who are doing this and they told me to target the RAWR (rear axle weight rating) of my truck which is labeled on the driver’s side door jamb. The label said 4150 lbs (yours may be different, look and see), then get a set of LT tires rated to cover the RAWR (usually they are rated at about 2500 lbs per tire). Next we need to enhance the load rating of the rear spring pack to be able to cover the load of the pin weight of the 5ver, and this can be done by adding either air bags or supersprings to it (in my case it boosts the spring pack rating to 3000 lbs). Next we need to find a hitch that will work with your truck, mine is a short bed (5'8") and the only one that I would be comfortable with is the Pullrite Superglide that's designed for my truck. Next we need to know the maximum tow rating for your truck (mine is 10,400 lbs). Now you should be set to pull a 1/2 ton rated 5ver as long as the 5ver specs do not exceed the numbers that you know for your truck, for me I estimate that a 5ver with a pin weight of 1950 lbs or less (keep in mind that the 3000lbs payload includes the weight of the hitch and all passengers in the TV as well as pin weight) with a GVWR of around 9500 lbs or less is doable. This limits the choices out there but there are some that qualify. Good luck and I hope that all this helps you in making your decision.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote