Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
KathiS

Installing toilet paper and towel holders

We just purchased a 2011 318SAB Cougar. After we got it home we noticed there isn't any place to hang towels or toilet paper in the bathroom. Being new to trailers, is it okay to drill holes in the walls to hang these things? Any recommendations on what to buy or how to install?

Also, I have been on the Keystone RV website and have not found a place for owners to register to receive service reminders and recall notices. Is there such a thing?

Thank you.
KathiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
Ruffus

Talking Towel & TP Holder

Hi KathiS
When we got home with our 5ver we noticed the same. I found two interior walls in the bathroom that I could mount the racks on because I was not comfortable drilling on an exterior. If you push on the walls you can see where the aluminum studs are and most towel racks can be cut to the length you need.
I bought some nice brushed nickel holders at Home Depot that worked fine.
Jim B
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Outbackmel

Our bathroom fixtures experience

We decided not to drill in our 2011 Outback. Found good quality suction hooks and hung them around the shower glass. For a "paper" holder, after looking at 1,000 , we settled on a free standing set up sold by Wal-mart. Works great!!

Drilling is not a problem if that is your preference. Follow the advice given in the thread. We had "stuff"; in our previous 31' Hornet TT everywhere...never an issue. We decided to be more "portable" until we live in this RV enough to say.......YEA, hang it !!
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
We decided not to drill in our 2011 Outback. Found good quality suction hooks and hung them around the shower glass. For a "paper" holder, after looking at 1,000 , we settled on a free standing set up sold by Wal-mart. Works great!!
This. Works great with no drilling plus it holds more than 1 roll so you are covered.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

In response to your query regarding service reminders and recall notices, Keystone does have a list of recalls which can be accessed by clicking on "Customer Service" on the their home page. You should also receive a notice from Keystone regarding any recall that pertains to your RV. I am not aware of service reminders that Keystone sends out to its customers.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:00 AM   #6
Jim W

I signed up here for recall alerts. https://www.rvrecallalert.com/Default.aspx
This is good for all models of campers.
I too own a 318SAB Cougar that did not have any towel bars or toilet paper holder mounted in the camper. I asked the dealer why the toilet paper holder was not mounted and they stated that each owner wanted them in a different space so they let us figure out where we want it.
So I have mounted the toliet paper holder on the angled wall that the door is mounted on. I used two 1/2 long drywall anchors that expand. I used a cordless drill on slow speed and drilled the required holes . I then place a towel ring next to the medicine cabinet with the same procedure.
Under the cabinet by the toilet, I place a 18" towel bar cut done to 17" with a 1/2 piece of Baltic birch plywood. This is sized to fit in the space under the cabinet. The towel bar mounting supports are then screwed into the Baltic birch plywood. Grind the screw threads flush with the plywood after mounting the supports, assembly towel bar to the plywood base. Then glue the plywood to the underside of the cabinet base with clamp bars holding in place until dry.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
Happy Camper

Towel Hangers

For hanging coats, jackets, towels, and the like we have found that the 3M On Command hangers work great in our RV. You can mount them anywhere you want and if you decide you dont like it there you can remove it easily with no damage to the walls and remount it elsewhere. They come in all sizes and have various colors. Check them out at any Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart or other like places.

Rick
Happy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:40 AM   #8
DFreiberger

Happy Camper has it right. Most bathrooms do not have walls large enough to put towel racks on comfortably. The 3M stick-ons work great and you can get them to match you bathroom details (chrome, brushed, nicket, etc). \

As far as the toilet paper holder, buy 1/4 inch spreadable mollies, the metal ones that collapse as you draw the screws up. They also have sharp tangs which will grab the wall as you tight to keep them from turning as you tighten. The 1/4 in spreadables are only about 3/4 in long so will not be too long to fit between the walls. Be careful not to drill too deep.
DFreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
owner registration, racks, towel rack