Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
albertr

Extended Warranty Coverage

We bought the 2011 'used' and are now considering 'extended' warranty. Does anybody in here have any experience good or bad with warranties? Does anyone know a good one. If I read all the comments on some sites I get the impression that there are no good ones but that can't be true. Comments please. Thanks..Al
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Jim W

If you really feel that you need an extended warranty, than I would suggest you look into one from Good Sam's Club.
I myself do not believe in them, for all they really do is generate income for the company who issue the extended warranty. I myself have invested in to books for RV repairer and I use this web site if I need more information. http://www.rvknowhow.com/index.html

To me an RV is nothing more then a house on wheels and I maintain my own home with out an extend warranty.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
KanTC

Albert,

In reference to buying a 'used' 2011 --- Keystone DOES allow the transfer of the remaining 1-yr factory warranty to the subsequent owner(s), when the trailer was originally purchase from an authorized dealer & with all documentation in place. See page 6 of the current Owner's Manual.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/man...anual_2011.pdf

As Jim said... We don't purchase an extended warranty. Most of the components in an RV have a warranty from that (component) manufacturer, and some are even covered beyond the standard 1 yr. warranty on your trailer.

Read the fine print on any extended warranty - many times there are several exclusions. In the long-run, you might be better served to take the money you'd spend on the extended warranty, and start a 'RV Repair' nest egg.

Terri
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
albertr

Smile Extended Warranty

Thanks a lot for that info Terri. We will pick up the 'new' Avalanche on Thursday this week. Now I am wondering what I have to do to make sure that this warranty is transferred.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
KanTC

Post Warranty Transfer

Al,

I've never dealt with a warranty transfer either, but...

The first 2 paragraphs of the warranty give (at least some) info on what's required. See Pg 6, titled: 'Limited One Year Warranty'

Please be aware that there may be additional requirements listed in the 3 pages of Warranty Info... I simply skimmed through it quickly, and MAY have missed something!

Those 2 paragraphs state, IN PART:

*"All owners (original or subsequent) must be properly registered with Keystone RV Company to be considered for eligibility."*

*"The subsequent purchaser(s) also has an obligation to notify Keystone immediately upon the transfer of the warranty and to further provide proof of purchase within the one (1) year."*

Assuming that the Avalanche was originally purchase from an authorized Keystone dealer (as also required by the warranty), the rest of the process appears [to me] to be a combined effort - starting with the dealer & ending with you.

I'd think the dealer would FIRST register you as the new owner (with Keystone) & start the warranty transfer; and then, you'd have to complete the process according to the warranty obligations.

That said - I'd suggest that you call the dealer (ASAP) to ask questions & get details. One phone call now, could save you both some time & possible headaches/delays on the 17th.

Keep in mind that most dealers probably don't do many 'warranty transfers' and may not be familiar with the process either. There MAY (or may not) be specific document(s) that you & the dealer are required to complete at the time of delivery. There may be a specific process in which YOU are required to "notify Keystone immediately upon the transfer of the warranty." [Call a specific dept??... Documents by certified mail??... etc.]

If your dealer doesn't know how to do a warranty transfer or what's required??... well... kindly ask HIM call Keystone & find out!! Dealers have a direct phone line to the *Bat Cave*, and you don't. Odds are, HE will get the answers faster.

Let us know how the process works, the info may be helpful to someone else at a later date!

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
Old 02-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
jje1960

2011 used...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertr View Post
We bought the 2011 'used' and are now considering 'extended' warranty. Does anybody in here have any experience good or bad with warranties? Does anyone know a good one. If I read all the comments on some sites I get the impression that there are no good ones but that can't be true. Comments please. Thanks..Al
I hope you got one heck of a deal buying a "used" 2011....???? Point is, we bought a 2011 and were comfortable with the purchase, considering price and warranty, seems your kind of forced into considering this extended warranty. Not the best position to be in.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
albertr

Warranty Transfer

We called Customer Relations at Keystone. Actually the procedure is pretty simple. Soon as Avalanche is transferred to our name we call Keystone and thats about it. Thanks...Al
Old 02-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
KanTC

RE: Warranty Transfer

That's good to know! Glad to hear that it's not a *jump through hoops* process. And, by the way... congrats on your new Avalanche.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot