Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
Maxzd

Extra Drawer Added 2011 Cougar 325SRX

Mod is on a 2011 Cougar 325SRX, but I have seen other floor plans that have the same kitchen setup. I can see this working on any cougar with this particular kitchen floor plan...

One of the biggest complaints my wife had was the kitchen lacked drawer space. There are 3 drawers in our cougar kitchen floor plan, and just seems one shy. What's frustrating is it looks like there should be one more, but from the factory there is a false panel and a huge air space in behind. It looks like installing another drawer might just interfere with plumbing...

Not So... Here's the before picture.

Here's the After picture.

Ordered the entire drawer and drawer slides from my dealer so it matches hardware and stain exactly. Front Rail, bought an old cougar cabinet door ($10 bucks) they had instock, ripped it to make a matching front rail piece. For the drawer cabinet to slide had to fashion "extenders" to have something to screw into.

Total Time couple hours. Total Money $120.00. Got taken to the cleaners on shipping it was $32 bucks for the drawer. Part's department at my dealer Travelhome in Langley BC disappointing so far to deal with. Customers are an inconvienience if you're a DIY. Hundreds of units delivered each month couldn't just put it in a customer unit and save shipping? Anyway.. No other choice on this one.

I hope this mod inspires others out there to consider doing this on this floor plan. Hey Keystone, how about just adding it from the factory like it should be in the first place??

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
KanTC

Thumbs up

Excellent Maxzd - looks like a factory install! Kudos to you on a job well-done.

As a side note: Many times manufacturers will leave that space "un-used" on a cabinet base if/when there's a flip-up counter extension used (or offered) on other floorplans within that same model.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot [& DH Kevin]
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
jje1960

Looking Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxzd View Post
Mod is on a 2011 Cougar 325SRX, but I have seen other floor plans that have the same kitchen setup. I can see this working on any cougar with this particular kitchen floor plan...

One of the biggest complaints my wife had was the kitchen lacked drawer space. There are 3 drawers in our cougar kitchen floor plan, and just seems one shy. What's frustrating is it looks like there should be one more, but from the factory there is a false panel and a huge air space in behind. It looks like installing another drawer might just interfere with plumbing...

Not So... Here's the before picture.

Here's the After picture.

Ordered the entire drawer and drawer slides from my dealer so it matches hardware and stain exactly. Front Rail, bought an old cougar cabinet door ($10 bucks) they had instock, ripped it to make a matching front rail piece. For the drawer cabinet to slide had to fashion "extenders" to have something to screw into.

Total Time couple hours. Total Money $120.00. Got taken to the cleaners on shipping it was $32 bucks for the drawer. Part's department at my dealer Travelhome in Langley BC disappointing so far to deal with. Customers are an inconvienience if you're a DIY. Hundreds of units delivered each month couldn't just put it in a customer unit and save shipping? Anyway.. No other choice on this one.

I hope this mod inspires others out there to consider doing this on this floor plan. Hey Keystone, how about just adding it from the factory like it should be in the first place??

Wow, came out great, well done. We still can't decide to do the same or small flip-up or flat pull out. It's nice to see well done example, something to show the boss.... Supposed to get a bit warmer Sunday, will do the proper measuring and figure out if the Boliy will fit in the front compartment. Still going to do the rear pull out rack as well (definitely the warmer weather project), options for different set-ups.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanTC View Post
Excellent Maxzd - looks like a factory install! Kudos to you on a job well-done.

As a side note: Many times manufacturers will leave that space "un-used" on a cabinet base if/when there's a flip-up counter extension used (or offered) on other floorplans within that same model.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot [& DH Kevin]
Thanks. You're spot on with the flip-up counter extension comment. We would have gladly looked at that if factory available option. We looked to see if cougar offered that option in another floor plan with same kitchen design. They offer flip up counters, just not for this setup would have been awkward looking to bolt from another unit even if it was same countertop finish. The cabinets all appear to all be built elsewhere then installed in the RV. Most RV's I've owned appear to be built and installed in the RV. Either way, unless I ever get to talk to a keystone designer or product manager, I doubt I'll ever know why the decision to omit a potential 4th drawer.

Happy I have mine!

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Old 02-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
Wow, came out great, well done. We still can't decide to do the same or small flip-up or flat pull out. It's nice to see well done example, something to show the boss.... Supposed to get a bit warmer Sunday, will do the proper measuring and figure out if the Boliy will fit in the front compartment. Still going to do the rear pull out rack as well (definitely the warmer weather project), options for different set-ups.
With that nice rolling cart you have now I think an extra drawer would be a huge win over another counter.. Could be wrong unless you don't expect to bring the rolling cart with you always. The extra drawer now holds all of our cutlery; forks knives and spoons. Better height too, much happier..

Definately interested to hear your comments on the front compartment. I have 4 heavy duty batteries and my inverter all wired up in there. I can fit my honda 2000 in there for storage and overhead for tools but that's about it now..

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Old 02-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
cdevill

I have been going through all of the drawers in our 296BHSSR and replacing the lauan plywood with Cherry. I'm also adding drawer dividers in the ones that need it as well. There was a panel under the stove for the water heater access that was made of the 1/8" thick plywood. I replaced it as well with a stained piece of hardwood with a matching hardware knob and eliminated the screws that held it into place. The TT's interior just looked so nice and then seeing that lauan in it just didn't seem right. I'm a custom woodworker so I can do all of this in my shop quite easily.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
jje1960

Rolling cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxzd View Post
With that nice rolling cart you have now I think an extra drawer would be a huge win over another counter.. Could be wrong unless you don't expect to bring the rolling cart with you always. The extra drawer now holds all of our cutlery; forks knives and spoons. Better height too, much happier..

Definately interested to hear your comments on the front compartment. I have 4 heavy duty batteries and my inverter all wired up in there. I can fit my honda 2000 in there for storage and overhead for tools but that's about it now..
Must agree, the drawer option is looking good... there is a drawer in the new cabinet, however just hate the wasted spot, especially after seeing yours! I was in there last weekend, the cart rolls right to the back bay without any issues, so we will keep it back there until we park, keeps the walk space open in the main cabin. Now just waiting for the weather to break, supposed to be almost 60 in a week or so... will open the back and see how the golf cart fits! Still been thinking about the boliy in the front compartment, will get to that soonest, can see that will take a weekend with fitting and running a line and manual gen/shore switch. Your honda 2k should fit real nice there. If mine fits... have been thinking of an exhaust option. Steel pipe with bend, remove the spark arrest, wrap pipe with fiberglass, and insert into a larger flex pipe and down to through the floor. Basically pipe in a pipe with the fiberglass wrap inside. May even drill some holes in the inner pipe, helps muffle. My dad's an ol' machinist so maybe an round aluminium to mount the genset and keep it all tight.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdevill View Post
I have been going through all of the drawers in our 296BHSSR and replacing the lauan plywood with Cherry. I'm also adding drawer dividers in the ones that need it as well. There was a panel under the stove for the water heater access that was made of the 1/8" thick plywood. I replaced it as well with a stained piece of hardwood with a matching hardware knob and eliminated the screws that held it into place. The TT's interior just looked so nice and then seeing that lauan in it just didn't seem right. I'm a custom woodworker so I can do all of this in my shop quite easily.
Sounds like some nice upgrades. Link some pictures so we can have a look at your handywork.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX