Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
Maxzd

Toy hauler rear cargo awning or gutter.

I have spend hours surfing the web looking for a good solution to cover my style of rear cargo door. I have found even though the ramp door has a rubber seal, when the trailer is at the right angle and it rains I get small amounts of water forming in the garage. I would have to guess looking at units with full size door its no different they have same design.

The picture of the rear cargo door of my unit is below. Unlike a passage door the ramp has no gutter above to stop rain.. I might just find an awning gutter with two drain spouts same setup as a typical awning has. If you have any ideas or have seen or own a similar unit and solved this let me know. If you also have seen a screen door for this style let me know too. Thanks.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

As you mentioned, you might want to look into installing an RV gutter or drip rail above your drop-down door.
Camping World sells a product called EZE -RV Gutter System which adheres to the unit with 3M tape and comes in packs of 50 ft or 10 ft. You can go to their website to view this item (www.campingworld.com) Not sure if you can attach spouts to this gutter system or not.

If you go online to www.rvstoredirect.com you will find a product in their RV Gutter spouts and systems section. These are aluminium gutters which are fastened with screws. I believe it comes in 14ft lengths.
Both of these products or something similar might divert water away from the top and sides of the door and reduce or eliminate water from entering your cargo area.
Can't help you with the screen door. Perhaps a Glass/Door shop would make up one for you.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
jje1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxzd View Post
I have spend hours surfing the web looking for a good solution to cover my style of rear cargo door. I have found even though the ramp door has a rubber seal, when the trailer is at the right angle and it rains I get small amounts of water forming in the garage. I would have to guess looking at units with full size door its no different they have same design.

The picture of the rear cargo door of my unit is below. Unlike a passage door the ramp has no gutter above to stop rain.. I might just find an awning gutter with two drain spouts same setup as a typical awning has. If you have any ideas or have seen or own a similar unit and solved this let me know. If you also have seen a screen door for this style let me know too. Thanks.

Hmmm, never thought of that (dripping inside the rear door), while I have not seen any water in our SRX it's winter and I've not been in there all that much. I'm going to look at that stick on gutter... I kind of cringe at the thought of drilling them holes in the outside of the unit. Had problems with only a few holes for the RVQ in our last TT. Thanks for the tips. As soon as it warms up some I'm going to work on fitting the new Boliy in the front compartment next to the battery... actually think it might fit after quickly measuring this past weekend. If it does, will fit an exhaust pipe and post pictures.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
SLIMSHADIE

I agree with Festus. A gutter above the door would redirect the water. I would try the 3m version first and caulk the top too. Thats how it is above my outdoor kitchen door.
On my cargo hauler, there is a L shaped piece of aluminum ( a little wider than the door) above my ramp door the probably helps. Just a couple of ideas.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
KanTC

Maxzd,

I've seen rear screens offered as options on models similar to yours (by other manufacturers), so obviously 'someone out there' makes them. You might try this place - they advertise custom sizes.

http://www.toyhaulerscreens.com

Also, you might try contacting a Keystone Raptor dealer. Raptor offers a rear screen option, plus they have a dual-ramp floorplan, so the dealer should be able to tell you who makes the screens & if they're available in other sizes too.

Last but not least, Care Free makes a Cargo Add-A-Wall, but I don't know if they do custom sizes.

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com

Hope this helps.

Terri [& DH Kevin]
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
Hmmm, never thought of that (dripping inside the rear door), while I have not seen any water in our SRX it's winter and I've not been in there all that much. I'm going to look at that stick on gutter... I kind of cringe at the thought of drilling them holes in the outside of the unit. Had problems with only a few holes for the RVQ in our last TT. Thanks for the tips. As soon as it warms up some I'm going to work on fitting the new Boliy in the front compartment next to the battery... actually think it might fit after quickly measuring this past weekend. If it does, will fit an exhaust pipe and post pictures.
I had the 5th wheel slanted forward in my father in laws driveway last week. Initially I saw a small pool of water between the passage door and the open access hole in the garage. I thought it was from going in and out of the passage door but there was evidence it was flowing from the cargo door. BTW I picked up an old RV cabinet door and two hinges and latch for that access opening in the garage. Cost me 10 bucks. I also used left over cherry panelling I had to make kitchen shelves and covered the inside top of the hole. Now between the door and that ridiculously warmer in the main part of the unit.

I think the 3M choice will work best. I might see if I can put those gutter extensions on each end too. Will post pics. Good luck with the front compartment project!

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Old 02-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
As you mentioned, you might want to look into installing an RV gutter or drip rail above your drop-down door.
Camping World sells a product called EZE -RV Gutter System which adheres to the unit with 3M tape and comes in packs of 50 ft or 10 ft. You can go to their website to view this item (www.campingworld.com) Not sure if you can attach spouts to this gutter system or not.

If you go online to www.rvstoredirect.com you will find a product in their RV Gutter spouts and systems section. These are aluminium gutters which are fastened with screws. I believe it comes in 14ft lengths.
Both of these products or something similar might divert water away from the top and sides of the door and reduce or eliminate water from entering your cargo area.
Can't help you with the screen door. Perhaps a Glass/Door shop would make up one for you.
Awesome I am going to give the camping world 3m gutter a try. Hopefully I can make two gutter extensions work too just for good measure. Thanks.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Old 02-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanTC View Post
Maxzd,

I've seen rear screens offered as options on models similar to yours (by other manufacturers), so obviously 'someone out there' makes them. You might try this place - they advertise custom sizes.

http://www.toyhaulerscreens.com

Also, you might try contacting a Keystone Raptor dealer. Raptor offers a rear screen option, plus they have a dual-ramp floorplan, so the dealer should be able to tell you who makes the screens & if they're available in other sizes too.

Last but not least, Care Free makes a Cargo Add-A-Wall, but I don't know if they do custom sizes.

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com

Hope this helps.

Terri [& DH Kevin]
Thanks kanTC. Both sites look familiar. I think you are right contacting keystone as the raptor does have a similar door on a few models. Hoping to hear if there is anyone out there who owns one of these screen doors to see if it's worth the money or not..

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Old 02-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
jje1960

Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxzd View Post
.... BTW I picked up an old RV cabinet door and two hinges and latch for that access opening in the garage. Cost me 10 bucks. I also used left over cherry panelling I had to make kitchen shelves and covered the inside top of the hole. Now between the door and that ridiculously warmer in the main part of the unit.
Cool beans, looking forward to the pics. We are going to leave that small compartment open, perfect for the cat litter box! Our daughter is going to use the bay for sleeping, having the litter box in there will keep the litter from spreading all over and giving her something to complain about... After the golf cart is unloaded, it's a very nice sized room, when daughter decides it's not "in her plans" to come along, we have couple of leather chairs that will sit back there.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote