Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
LarryD

Water heater bypass valves??

Thinking about a new Cougar High Country 299RKS and hoping someone can tell me where the bypass valves are located? Probably any Keystone model and floorplan with the water heater below the corner shower has the same setup. I didn't see any valves under the vanity sink. Are the valves behind the basement access panel behind the docking station?? If so, is it inconvenient to get to the valves to winterize the rig? Or maybe I've missed something.

Also, what is the black valve (or whatever it is) under the vanity with two water lines connected to it?
LarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #2
Jim W

On my Cougar 318SAB, the bypass valve is located behind the basement access panel by the water heater. I am in that area already when winterizing, so to me this is not inconvenient at all. I need to access the water pump bypass valve in-order to pass the RV antifreeze fluid through the water lines and faucets and not into the fresh water tank.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
Ruffus

Access Panel

Hi Larry
I have a Copper Canyon and my by pass valve is located at the rear of the water heater. There is a small square plastic panel on the basement bulkhead that has four screws in it. I remove the panel to get access to the by pass valve.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
LarryD

Thanks for the responses. I guess this is not a big deal, I don't winterize the rig anyway since I typically use it even in Jan. and Feb. So, I just dump the tanks, empty the water heater and open the low point drains. Any remaining liquid may freeze, but it doesn't do any damage.

My other concern is the lack of valves on the low point drains. My existing rig has them in a corner of the basement. No need to crawl under the rig to remove the caps. I hope I can add valves that will be accessible on the Cougar.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
miller8179

Ours is accessible by removing a drawer in the back bedroom of our Copper Canyon.

No low point valves, just the caps but they are easy to access and remove.

They all freeze up below 30 though... even with the extreme thermal package and the heat running full time. Apparently heat doesn't make its way around our underbelly too well.
miller8179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
LarryD

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller8179 View Post
Ours is accessible by removing a drawer in the back bedroom of our Copper Canyon.

No low point valves, just the caps but they are easy to access and remove.

They all freeze up below 30 though... even with the extreme thermal package and the heat running full time. Apparently heat doesn't make its way around our underbelly too well.
WOW, do you know where the system actually becomes frozen? I assume you are using the 12V pump when temps drop below freezing. If so, the most vunerable part of the system should be the pick-up tube. If the tank is full, it will take quite some time for it to freeze. And the pump should stay warmer than the pick-up tube. If the tank is at the rear of the trailer and the pump is located further forward, then the long water line may be too exposed.

On my existing brand, I have camped at temps below 20 degrees for several days and never had anything in the trailer freeze. And that is with the furnace shut off, just using portable electric heaters to keep the unit warm.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
Thinking about a new Cougar High Country 299RKS and hoping someone can tell me where the bypass valves are located? Probably any Keystone model and floorplan with the water heater below the corner shower has the same setup. I didn't see any valves under the vanity sink. Are the valves behind the basement access panel behind the docking station?? If so, is it inconvenient to get to the valves to winterize the rig? Or maybe I've missed something.

Also, what is the black valve (or whatever it is) under the vanity with two water lines connected to it?
That "black valve" is just a vent for the water lines....

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
LarryD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
That "black valve" is just a vent for the water lines....

Ron W.
Ron,

Thanks for the answer. I kind of thought it was some sort of check valve or vent, but rather than guess, it really is a benefit to gain from other owner's knowledge.