Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
JJC

2011 Cougar 27RLS new owner needs help

We just bought a Cougar 27RLS Travel Trailer and have some questions.
1. Where is the Water Pump. we have checked the places the other forum questions regarding the location has suggested, and cannot find it in any of them.
2. the pump rattles and shakes.... is this normal for the pump or do we need to return it to the dealer.
3. We live in montana where it gets to 40 below. can anyone suggest things that will help with winterizing it. we have already put antifreeze in all the lines except the water heater. Should we be doing anything else.
4. The refrigerator instructions say to heat tape the lines but i cannot find a way to open it up to find any lines. where might the panal be for that.

Any insite would be very welcomed.
JJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

JJC
You don't need to put RV antifreeze in your water heater. When you did your lines, I assume you isolated the HW tank, drained it and just put the antifreeze in the lines only. You should also pour some into all your drains and toilet. Don't forget about any outside taps you might have. Also make sure that your 110V supply to the HW tank is shut off as you do not want to be heating an empty HW tank.

Not sure about applying heat tape to the frig lines. If you are not going to be using the RV or your frig during the winter, why do the "lines" need heat tape? This is a new one for me.

Water pumps can be noisy. You can reduce the noise by ensuring that they are securely screwed down on a rubberized pad and by replacing the rigid intake and outlet lines with flexible ones. Some lines may be touching one another which also leads to increased noise.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
bennydog

JJC

We have at 2010 24RKSL (which is close) and found the water pump on the street (drivers) side next to the bed. In mine if you look the raised carpeted area is about a foot longer on the drivers side then the other. The screws were well hidden and I recall finding 4. Yes the pump as shipped from the factory is very noisy. There are several steps that you can take to quiet it down some.
You will find that it is screwed to the floor to the trailer, build a shock absorber for it. Basically two pieces of 1/4 inch ply separated by 2 inches of foam insulation screw the bottom to the trailer and the pump to the top. Take the left over insulation and insulate the space the pump is in. Put in flexible pipe between the ridged stuff that's there and the pump. I got mine at home depot (it's the stuff that is under your kitchen sink from the valve to the faucet). I also added an accumulator to the system ( mine is under the sink ) and is actually and expansion tank like sits above the water heater in your house (cheaper than the one the sell for RV's) that will let us flush the toilet in the middle of the night 3 times with out the pump coming on. I think I've posted pictures of most of this in the modification section. If you can't locate them, PM me and I'll send them to you. I also went around and every where I could made sure that the plumbing was not directly touching the trailer as that just transfers the vibration to the trailer. Used some of the round pipe insulation to keep it in the center of the holes. It's a lot of work and you will still hear the darn thing but you can make it much better....especially for the middle of the night thing.

Bob

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
JJC

thanks for the replys. Glad to hear that i do not need to do anything to the refridgerator. i thought that might be a bit of overkill but the manual suggested it.

Yes i did shut off the water heater from the system and drained it and pulled the anode rod out.
Will look near the bed for the darn pump, may need to use the magnet idea one other person used to find the screws. i would think it easy to find as noisy as it is but even with it turned on it is deceaving.
JJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:57 AM   #5
camper 2010

I have a 2010 27RLS. The water pump is next to the pot & pan storage as you come in the back door. Remove the lower drawer by lifting the black tabs on each side of the slides. After removing the drawer, the pump will be on the right. Not much space and it is hard to get to.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote