Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-06-2022, 05:43 PM   #41
pawpaw
Senior Member
 
pawpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Lockport, Louisiana
Posts: 296
Thanks!! Had a Keystone Fuzion that we bought in 2014 and traded it in for a Grand Design Solitude that was destroyed during Hurricane Ida. Downsized to a Cougar 25RDS that's plenty big enough for the wife and I. Kids are grown and have their own campers. Sold my dually not thinking we'd get another camper. So now the tow police think I need to get a Kenworth to handle around a 7800 lb. trailer!! My Expedition with the max tow package is rated for 9200 lbs and has a payload of 1769 lbs. Re-adjusted the Equalizer and shifted more weight to the trucks front axle. Like a see-saw game that we had with the toyhauler. I always leave early to get to a campground and keep speed down to the 60-62 mph range. I'm sure you'll get pointers on how to handle your GSD on here also!! Great animals and I've owned a couple over the years myself.
__________________
2021 Ford Expedition FX4 with max towing. 33" BFG KO2's 4 point Equalizer hitch.
2022 Cougar 25RDS
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:31 AM   #42
pawpaw
Senior Member
 
pawpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Lockport, Louisiana
Posts: 296
Took the camper out on its first trip last week. Went to a state park close to New Orleans and just stayed 2 nights to get use to the camper. Only glitches were from a leaky shower door and latches on the fold up table broke and breakfast ended up on the floor. Whoever designed it gets a zero! Rig towed fine in low winds and camper didn't feel heavy at all accelerating and braking. Weight seems to be dispersed evenly over the 4 axles and didn't notice any swaying.
__________________
2021 Ford Expedition FX4 with max towing. 33" BFG KO2's 4 point Equalizer hitch.
2022 Cougar 25RDS
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:46 AM   #43
wiredgeorge
Senior Member
 
wiredgeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mico, TX
Posts: 5,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
Took the camper out on its first trip last week. Went to a state park close to New Orleans and just stayed 2 nights to get use to the camper. Only glitches were from a leaky shower door and latches on the fold up table broke and breakfast ended up on the floor. Whoever designed it gets a zero! Rig towed fine in low winds and camper didn't feel heavy at all accelerating and braking. Weight seems to be dispersed evenly over the 4 axles and didn't notice any swaying.
Saw a picture of your camper in a for-sale ad. That table doesn't appear to be hinged in the U shaped dinette. What latches? Does that table collapse to make a bed (for someone you don't much care for)? How do you like that U shaped dinette? Seems it would be awkward getting around to the rear. I personally removed out standard dinette and replaced with an Ikea table and two chairs (just the two of us). Anyway, glad this camper is working out for you.
__________________
wiredgeorge Mico TX
2006 F350 CC 4WD 6.0L
2002 Keystone Cougar 278
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:14 PM   #44
pawpaw
Senior Member
 
pawpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Lockport, Louisiana
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Saw a picture of your camper in a for-sale ad. That table doesn't appear to be hinged in the U shaped dinette. What latches? Does that table collapse to make a bed (for someone you don't much care for)? How do you like that U shaped dinette? Seems it would be awkward getting around to the rear. I personally removed out standard dinette and replaced with an Ikea table and two chairs (just the two of us). Anyway, glad this camper is working out for you.
2 spring loaded latches that lets you raise or lower it to make a bed out of the dinette area. Worked good for a day until a few drunken cajuns leaned on it and it collapsed. The legs will be amputated and I'll still use the top. Ate many meals on TV trays so we'll buy 2 for the wife and I. Junk design on the latches and people have had many problems with them. Dealer is supposed to get me another table and I'll see if my son in law can beef it up. For short trips this rig is ideal and its like a toy compared to the almost 60' truck and trailer we had before. Not planning on any long trips and if we do I'll use one of my son in laws 3/4 ton diesels.
__________________
2021 Ford Expedition FX4 with max towing. 33" BFG KO2's 4 point Equalizer hitch.
2022 Cougar 25RDS
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:07 PM   #45
wrvond
Senior Member
 
wrvond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Leon, WV
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Saw a picture of your camper in a for-sale ad. That table doesn't appear to be hinged in the U shaped dinette. What latches? Does that table collapse to make a bed (for someone you don't much care for)? How do you like that U shaped dinette? Seems it would be awkward getting around to the rear. I personally removed out standard dinette and replaced with an Ikea table and two chairs (just the two of us). Anyway, glad this camper is working out for you.
I've got that same table in my camper with U shaped dinette. When I picked my unit up from Bisch's RV in Coldwater, MI somebody put it in the upright (unfolded) position. It was down when I did my walk through, and it basically got destroyed on the six hour trip home. I contacted Bisch's twice about this and their service department has ignored me both times. Essentially the hinges are pop riveted together so I straightened them out and put it back together with 1/4-20 pan head screws, washers and nuts. There's a small nick in one edge and a light scrape across the top. I guess I just get to live with those. It also put a small gouge in the floor, which I worked on with a pair of tweezers and some wood glue. That repair is almost invisible.
Anyway, we had a friend sleep on it with the cushions and a two inch thick memory foam topper. She said it was quite comfortable. The biggest problem we had is that the "bed" is nearly eight feet long (the width of the camper) and getting any kind of mattress topper to fit is pretty much impossible. We ended up getting a queen size topper and trimming the width down to fit. Since the table isn't bolted to the floor it's easy to slide it around to make room for both of us to use as work stations with our laptops. Lots more room than a conventional booth dinette.
__________________
2022 Cougar Half Ton 24RDS
2017 F350 DRW 6.7L


wrvond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:52 AM   #46
adm1949
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Fredericksburg
Posts: 10
25RDS Dinette Table

We had the same problem with our dinette table. The first time I raised it, the latch broke. Keystone replaced the base with same type. I'm trying to be very careful raising and lowering the table. If it ends up breaking again, I found a different base that looks to have a much better latching mechanism. Here's a link...
https://factoryrvsurplus.com/product...-legs-bed-base
__________________
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2020 Ford F150 King Ranch w/EcoBoost
adm1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:17 PM   #47
wrvond
Senior Member
 
wrvond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Leon, WV
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by adm1949 View Post
We had the same problem with our dinette table. The first time I raised it, the latch broke. Keystone replaced the base with same type. I'm trying to be very careful raising and lowering the table. If it ends up breaking again, I found a different base that looks to have a much better latching mechanism. Here's a link...
https://factoryrvsurplus.com/product...-legs-bed-base
Great find!
I’m going to have to take some measurements to ensure it fits properly when lowered, but it looks like a great alternative.

Thanks!
__________________
2022 Cougar Half Ton 24RDS
2017 F350 DRW 6.7L


wrvond is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cougar

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RV® is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.