Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2022, 07:11 PM   #1
Stevenj

Wifi router help

Trying to install winegard router in pre-wired keystone hideout. I have a set of wires I am assuming they're for power. One is white with red line and other is white with black dashes. Not getting any voltage from them. Checked all breakers and fuses, all good. Turned on all switches, still no power. Any help would be appreciated!
Stevenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:10 PM   #2
LHaven

I'm assuming these are flexible stranded 12V wires, as a 120V wire would be in Romex casing. (I'm not familiar with the Winegard unit.)

The "Keystone 12 VDC Wire Standard" chart doesn't show any white with black dash anywhere, but it could just be the ground conductor. If the other wire has a solid pink line (it looked red to me when I was working on it myself today, but it's pink) it's a 12V accessory circuit, which is what it ought to be. It ought to be on your accessory fuse, same one that runs your radio, TV antenna booster button, and USB outlets if you have any. Those two wires shouldn't be separate, they should be a two-conductor pair.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:35 PM   #3
pasayten

I have a 2021 Cougar 26RBS and installed the router... I had to cut and splice the wires... So when you check voltage, one side pair were dead (downside) and one side pair were hot (upside).... Did you check both sides for voltage? If still an issue, I will pull my router plate and see what I tied in to... :-)

2022 GMC 2500HD Sierra Denali Crew Cab Gas
2021 Cougar R26RBS
pasayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:38 PM   #4
LHaven

A common theme in these tales of router installation on our forum involves the joy of hunting around atop the ceiling looking for all the wires you need, some of which have long since released themselves on their own recognizance.
Old 05-05-2022, 02:27 AM   #5
jasin1

this is from forest river but the wiring from the antenna should be the same …the only difference should be the color of the 12 volt keystone wires and if you have to fish around the ceiling to find them..edit: i had the wrong video originally posted…here is the correct one
Old 05-05-2022, 03:57 AM   #6
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenj View Post
Trying to install winegard router in pre-wired keystone hideout. I have a set of wires I am assuming they're for power. One is white with red line and other is white with black dashes. Not getting any voltage from them. Checked all breakers and fuses, all good. Turned on all switches, still no power. Any help would be appreciated!
When you removed the blanking plate from the ceiling, were the three small wires (bundled together) and the power wire attached to the plate with a zip tie?

If the power wire loop was attached to the blanking plate then that is the wire you were intended to use. The white wire with the color stripe is going to be your positive lead. I simply separated the wires (carefully) and then used wire taps to connect the router connector to each one. Then used a volt meter to check for 12 vdc between the power connector pins.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:02 AM   #7
Stevenj

Yes. The wires were zip tied all together. There is no voltage coming from the power wires.
Stevenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:02 AM   #8
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenj View Post
I have done this 2x in 12 months as I traded our original trailer in for a one a bit larger. The first experience went flawlessly. The second not as smooth. You can search for that post. I would NOT cut anything until it has logically been all planned out. In the second case, I couldn't mount the unit in the 'pre-install' area as although the power wire was fine, the antenna wire was missing and discovered to be too short. I installed the switch/switch plate in the ceiling at the preinstall hole and moved the mount location for the gateway about 18" directly under the Winegard antenna on the roof.

Attached is a 'better' version of the Keystone wiring diagram. The only type of wire that fits that description is a signal wire. (red/black) I would start fishing around in the ceiling for a green/white wire for the power and locate the antenna wires.

Jay
Attached Files
File Type: pdf keystone wiring diagram.pdf (951.0 KB, 93 views)
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi