Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2022, 01:46 PM   #1
Dilly541

Rear camera experiences and preferences

Hello all. I have just installed a rear camera kit on the trailer and it works well. I took it for a quick drive the other day and am a bit unsure on how I should set it.

It’s a LeeKooLuu model and it is mounted on the existing Furrion mount location. I currently have it set so I can just see the spare tire on the bumper to assist with backing up. When driving, I was hoping for more “fish eye” so I could also monitor vehicles following behind. Currently, they would have to be pretty close to see them in the camera monitor.

My question is, do you guys typically see more benefit in using it like an electronic rear-view mirror when driving, or as a backup assist?
Old 04-19-2022, 02:15 PM   #2
jsb5717

I have mine set similarly. We have a fold down rear deck on back of our trailer. I don't use it every trip but the camera is set to see the back edge of it when it's down. When it's up I can't see it or the back of my trailer but I know how far my field of view is to the back of the trailer. I suppose a rear-camera view could be useful but I can see pretty well with my mirrors so I tend to be more interested in what's going on directly behind me when backing or when the rear deck is loaded with gear.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:55 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

We typically tow either the Slingshot or the boat behind the fifth wheel. I've set my rear camera so I can view the tongue/trailer behind the fifth wheel. I'm more interested in making sure my cargo is safe and secure than I am in seeing a tailgater behind the trailer.

When towing the fifth wheel "solo" I can see about 30' behind the trailer. That's enough to verify clearance when passing another vehicle (before moving back into the lane in front of it) and enough distance to know that I can make a left or right turn without "clipping" anything that might suddenly dart out from behind me on either side.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:07 AM   #4
jasin1

I have a bike rack and keep my camera angled down so I can see if they are secure while towing and it gives me a view about 6-8’ behind the rv for backing up. I can’t see any cars behind me usually
Old 04-20-2022, 06:03 AM   #5
lonerider98

I have mine setup to see when I can change lanes. Wife is used to make sure I don't back into anything. I can see her in the camera.
lonerider98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:22 AM   #6
dutchmensport

I have a Furrion and it cannot be adjusted for a different angle. I can see the ladder on the camper (no bumper) and a distance of about 30-40 feet behind the trailer. It works well for back up and works well when someone is tail gating. If someone is not riding my (missing) bumper (figuratively) I can see them in my rear view mirrors. So, the camera works well in that blind spot I can't see with the mirrors. Keeping that in mind, understanding it's limitations, and it's one strength (blind spot), it works pretty good for me.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:49 AM   #7
meaz93*

I use the Furrion 360° Observation Camera for my 38' Outback; and it is awesome to be able to view traffic in real time behind and to either side of the trailer.
It has the green, yellow, red back up markers that really help when backing up....too bad it doesn't beep as you get closer to an object, but that's not a problem.
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:25 AM   #8
Balvar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilly541 View Post
Hello all. I have just installed a rear camera kit on the trailer and it works well. I took it for a quick drive the other day and am a bit unsure on how I should set it.

It’s a LeeKooLuu model and it is mounted on the existing Furrion mount location. I currently have it set so I can just see the spare tire on the bumper to assist with backing up. When driving, I was hoping for more “fish eye” so I could also monitor vehicles following behind. Currently, they would have to be pretty close to see them in the camera monitor.

My question is, do you guys typically see more benefit in using it like an electronic rear-view mirror when driving, or as a backup assist?
Which model camera?
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:20 PM   #9
Dilly541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
Which model camera?
Its the model LK7

Thanks for everyone's input. I think it will remain in backup mode for now.
Old 04-20-2022, 04:13 PM   #10
hlh1

I also installed the Lookeeluu on my TT 2920RL and I'm very pleased with it. I have it tilted so I can see traffic at 150 feet or so. It's nice to see who's coming up on my rear.
hlh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:33 PM   #11
SMBuckner

we just purchased a backup camera powered it up to test everything works great… However the wiring for pre wired spot on the back of the camper has no power to it. We had the truck hooked up and in reverse no power. My question is where does that power cord go? So we can find the wire and see what’s going on or re do it? or any other ideas to get power to the camera?
SMBuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:37 PM   #12
BigBobIa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMBuckner View Post
we just purchased a backup camera powered it up to test everything works great… However the wiring for pre wired spot on the back of the camper has no power to it. We had the truck hooked up and in reverse no power. My question is where does that power cord go? So we can find the wire and see what’s going on or re do it? or any other ideas to get power to the camera?

Turn on your truck headlights.
Old 07-22-2022, 01:01 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^ This....

The power is usually "tapped off the center clearance/running light. Those lights ONLY have power when the headlights/parking lights on the tow vehicle are turned on. And, FTR, the daytime running lights, even if they are the tow vehicle headlights, do not power up the trailer running lights. That power is applied by the tail lights to the 7 pin connector, so in "reality" the trailer running light power is applied when the tail lights on the tow vehicle are powered on which is accomplished by turning on the "headlight switch"....

Oh, and "automatic headlights" won't power the trailer running lights during the day, only at night or when in tunnels ....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-22-2022, 01:23 PM   #14
BigBobIa

Rear camera experiences and preferences

And when your done for the day remember to turn the headlights off or bank to automatic. Mine are always on automatic and I then wonder why the truck is dinging at me when I get out!!!
Old 07-22-2022, 01:38 PM   #15
bsmith0404

I sometimes tow a utility trailer behind my 5th wheel for the RZR, other times I have my swivel wheel connected for the Harley. My camera is set so I can see those items. I can monitor the tow straps and make sure everything is staying secure as we drive. I can also see when I clear a car while passing, anything beyond that, I don’t care about. Someone coming up behind me, I can see that in my mirrors until they get too close. I’d see them if they rear ended the trailer or swivel wheel. Nothing I can do to prevent it from happening if it’s going to so no reason to watch them approaching.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 01:47 PM   #16
Auto Parts Guy

What rear camera are you guys using? I prefer the wireless version that you can view on your phone or other device. I just bought a Hopkins vueSMART 50050, but it hasnt arrived yet. Hoping it works as expected.
Auto Parts Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 02:02 PM   #17
bsmith0404

I have an Emmako digital wireless that I bought off Amazon. Works great, but I did have to add a wired antenna instead of the little one that came with it. I just bought one with 40’ of coax and run it up to the front cap area on the roof of the 5er. Now the signal is very strong and I never lose picture. Before, the camera worked great in parking lots, but I would lose the signal or the image would freeze up while going down the road. My dad has a Furrion which works great, most reviews I’ve read comparing cameras say the Furrion has a better range. I’m good with the one I have, even with the additional antenna, it’s about $400-500 less than the Furrion.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:41 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Parts Guy View Post
What rear camera are you guys using? I prefer the wireless version that you can view on your phone or other device. I just bought a Hopkins vueSMART 50050, but it hasnt arrived yet. Hoping it works as expected.
I would be reluctant to "add more apps to a cell phone" with hopes of consolidating the devices on the dash. As an example, you've got the TPMS app, the rear camera app, navigation app and you're towing through a city on a busy interstate and you get a text or a phone call and suddenly hear a "beeping"... is it the TPMS, or the camera losing signal or the navigation directions to change lanes ???? All while trying to "finish the text or end the call so you can get back to driving, while "fiddling with the damn phone" to find the source of the beeping, so you can determine "which app is needing attention"....

There's something to be said for "dash clutter" when it comes to towing heavy trailers, at least for me... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-23-2022, 07:51 AM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I would be reluctant to "add more apps to a cell phone" with hopes of consolidating the devices on the dash. As an example, you've got the TPMS app, the rear camera app, navigation app and you're towing through a city on a busy interstate and you get a text or a phone call and suddenly hear a "beeping"... is it the TPMS, or the camera losing signal or the navigation directions to change lanes ???? All while trying to "finish the text or end the call so you can get back to driving, while "fiddling with the damn phone" to find the source of the beeping, so you can determine "which app is needing attention"....

There's something to be said for "dash clutter" when it comes to towing heavy trailers, at least for me... YMMV
You beat me to it!
I'd prefer the seperate monitors for the TPMS & especially the rear camera so that both can be viewed at a glance at any moment. How often do you check the side mirrors or both side & rear while driving your car, imagine having to pull up the app on your phone to do that every time. You can listen to the the directions from your phone not necessarily need to see it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 09:18 AM   #20
bsmith0404

Yep, my camera and TPMS sit one above the other. I can see both at a glance. The navigation is on the radio display. Sometimes I use the truck navigation, other times I’ll use Apple Car Play, but it’s all easy to see