Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2022, 04:11 AM   #1
Nitehawk

Larger tire size

I have a 2018 passport ultra light 293UBH .
I have upgraded the suspension to LIPPERT Road armor and wet bolt shackles. Now since I have not really used the camper the last two years due to covid and work and the fact the tires are now going on 5 years old I want to change them . So my question is .....at the moment tire size is 205 / 14 could I put 205 / 15 .? Would there be an advantage to doing so?
I know wheel well clearance is limited and because we have fantastic road maintenance here in Quebec, we have bottomed out a few time and rubbed the tire on the top side . Thinking about installing bumper to preavent this as well,
Thoughts and recommendation Please
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 04:35 AM   #2
wrvond

Well, you've already listed some disadvantages to a larger size tire.
What would be the advantages you are trying to gain by going larger?

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:34 AM   #3
Nitehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Well, you've already listed some disadvantages to a larger size tire.
What would be the advantages you are trying to gain by going larger?
One advantage I am thinking about would be that all my trailers would be the same size... I have 3.

Also from what I can see I have a better range selection.

Also wondering why they would put 14's on a trailer this size when most other trailers have 15,
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:39 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Sounds like you have your questioned "at hand". If you have other trailers with 15" tires then take spares from 2 of them and see if they'll fit. With that said, installing any larger diameter tire on a trailer where the current tires are rubbing doesn’t sound like a good idea to me.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:39 PM   #5
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehawk View Post
I have a 2018 passport ultra light 293UBH .
I have upgraded the suspension to LIPPERT Road armor and wet bolt shackles. Now since I have not really used the camper the last two years due to covid and work and the fact the tires are now going on 5 years old I want to change them . So my question is .....at the moment tire size is 205 / 14 could I put 205 / 15 .? Would there be an advantage to doing so?
I know wheel well clearance is limited and because we have fantastic road maintenance here in Quebec, we have bottomed out a few time and rubbed the tire on the top side . Thinking about installing bumper to preavent this as well,
Thoughts and recommendation Please
Tire size. Page #21.

https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p...ers-manual.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 05:12 PM   #6
wrvond

Quote:
One advantage I am thinking about would be that all my trailers would be the same size... I have 3.

Also from what I can see I have a better range selection.

Also wondering why they would put 14's on a trailer this size when most other trailers have 15,
As pointed out, with other trailers on hand that use the size you are interested in it would be very easy to mount a set and check the actual clearance - keeping in mind static clearance is going to be much greater than dynamic clearance, your idea to use bump stops would probably be a necessity.
Most entry level TT's have historically gotten 14 inch wheels and tires because, first and foremost, they cost less to install. It's also likely a 14" wheel/tire combo has a lower weight carrying capacity that more closely matches the weight rating of the axles. No point in putting a 15" wheel/tire with capacities that would exceed the rating of the axles. Which comes back to cost - more capacity cost more money.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:48 PM   #7
CWtheMan

Quote:
I know wheel well clearance is limited and because we have fantastic road maintenance here in Quebec, we have bottomed out a few times and rubbed the tire on the top side. Thinking about installing bumper to prevent this as well,Thoughts and recommendation Please
The minimum standard for the distance between the top of the tire to whatever it can hit above is 3.5 inches. If you have that clearance, something else is wrong causing the bottoming out. Just maybe those roads are not as well maintained as you think they are (LOL!).
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote