Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2021, 10:32 AM   #41
rlh1957

Yes it’s isolated and not the norm in RV’ing.
With the thousands of RV YouTube videos I only remember 4 that described any real trouble.
There are always gonna be obnoxious, loud & noisy, inconsiderate and unsanitary types you encounter.
But as always you have to be real and stay alert as to a potential trouble. As in the shower incident. Always have a wary eye on the bath house if you can’t have someone with you.

The RV and camping industry is exploding with new comers to our way of life. With the numerous campers statistics would imply that reports of maintenance issues, theft, bad behavior, etc. will be reported more.
The RV community in growing in a huge leap will attract more unsavory characters and becomes a prime picking field.
We carry many very expensive and untraceable things… ie: generators, ebikes, motorcycles, bicycles, canoes, Yeti type coolers, 12V refrig/freezers, hoses, electrical protector units.

Yes it will become more prevalent, but you didn’t leave your home, job or lifestyle because the world got so bad compared to 25, 40 or 50 years ago. I remember when we left all the house doors open, left the keys in the car, garage open. Neighbors could come and borrow a mower or tractor without asking.
That life is gone and we’ve adapted to living in a security conscious world.
RV life has been moving more that way.

We can work together and look out for each other while being vigilant in guarding our safety, our things and camp from others or each other!

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 12:11 PM   #42
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionX View Post
Full time RVing might not be our thing....

We've had to call the cops twice now in 3 months!!! I know a couple bad apples don't represent the whole lot of RVers but really!!!! 2 issues in 3 months!!!!

First my wife was scared out of her mind when a man entered the women's bathroom while she was showering, asking her inappropriate questions (she was alone in the bathroom). Last night our RV "neighbor" pinned me against the my RV for 20 minutes talking nonsense about my wife and I. I was able to get him to back up enough so I could run into the RV, lock the doors, and call the cops! I was actually concerned for my safety!!!! To the point of running through all the possible scenarios in my head of how to get away without going to the hospital!

He have pepper spray and knives but would rather not use them and I didn't have them on me as I didn't think that person was a threat. We even had a beer together a few nights prior with another RVer next to him. Sad that we even have to have weapons!

So far the bad experiences are outweighing the good ones...

Oh...for anyone interested. The first bad experience was at Illinois Beach State Park. This most recent one was at the Agricenter RV Park in Memphis.
Quote:

We've had to call the cops twice now in 3 months!!! I know a couple bad apples don't represent the whole lot of RVers but really!!!! 2 issues in 3 months!!!!

First my wife was scared out of her mind when a man entered the women's bathroom while she was showering, asking her inappropriate questions (she was alone in the bathroom). Last night our RV "neighbor" pinned me against the my RV for 20 minutes talking nonsense about my wife and I. I was able to get him to back up enough so I could run into the RV, lock the doors, and call the cops! I was actually concerned for my safety!!!! To the point of running through all the possible scenarios in my head of how to get away without going to the hospital!

He have pepper spray and knives but would rather not use them and I didn't have them on me as I didn't think that person was a threat. We even had a beer together a few nights prior with another RVer next to him. Sad that we even have to have weapons!

Oh...for anyone interested. The first bad experience was at Illinois Beach State Park. This most recent one was at the Agricenter RV Park in Memphis.
You seem to be a bit naïve about personal protection. As a former peace officer, there are a few things I would like to point out that would hopefully help you in the future.
1. Trust your gut. If you have a bad feeling about someone you have just met. Be aware, keep some distance, and be vigilant.
2. NEVER use public showers that you cannot secure strongly against entry. I would recommend never using them period. You can’t get much more vulnerable than that! Your RV has a shower, use it! At least you have privacy and security.
3. Always be aware of your surroundings. Not paranoid, just aware.
4. AWAYS file charges if you are assaulted, and you were. You absolutely should have filed charges. If the cops that responded didn’t ask you if you wanted to file charges, they don't belong in that uniform. Drunk or whatever, doesn’t matter. No one had the right to assault someone, and it can be verbal or physical.
5. Always call the cops if there are issues like this, and always let the RV management know as well. If management doesn’t immediately respond, call the cops. I let management know that if they don’t immediately respond, the cops will. I have only had to do this once with some folks that had too much to drink and got too rowdy. DO NOT confront them. Thats what the cops are paid to do.
5. Check out any RV park you intend to stay at ahead of time. Is it new or run down? If run down you probably don’t want to stay there. A nice place values their reputation and have invested a lot of money. They don’t want any trouble makers.
Being friendly and helpful to campers is part of the RV experience. Doesn't mean there aren’t good people out there because there are. Just don’t put yourself in a vulnerable position. You make friends over time and build trust the same way. It’s the amount of trust that determines the amount security precautions. Like others, I never trust someone that I have just met, but always try to be friendly, and helpful. And like others have mentioned, never bring a knife to a gunfight. Don’t let these people change your desire to experience the full time lifestyle, but also don’t put yourself in vulnerable situations. Safety first!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:22 PM   #43
LadyFaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
There are a good many folks in this world that like to prey on those weaker than themselves. While it is best to avoid those individuals, it isn't always possible.

To lessen the probability of an encounter, I find it important to display an air of confidence and readiness. Not aggressiveness, just alert readiness.
While I'm too old and broken down to kick butt anymore, I don't let on like I couldn't..

I'm old, fat and crippled up. I will STILL fight physically to defend me and mine if necessary. As I told one of my sons when he was feeling feisty, I might wind up in traction or laid up for a while, but I can STILL take him out!! By the by, he agreed with me on that. Said he'd much rather DAD was mad at him than Mom. After all, Dad might HURT him, whereas Mom would .... Well, you get the idea.

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 30B
2019 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR V6
TINSTAAFL - "there is no such thing as a free lunch" Any farmer can tell you:
"you don't work, you don't eat." It is that simple.
LadyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:10 PM   #44
fugdannin

Really!!!

Funny thing I have been out here 6 years full-time and really only met 1 true jerk but held my ground and it all worked out. Did you call the cops a lot when you were in a stick and brick? I have never felt afraid or thought the police were needed. I don't associate with a lot of people but I do occasionally.
Maybe you need to upgrade your parking places or maybe you are like a friend that is on his 6th marriage and says there is just something wrong with women. The rv life is like any other portion of society with a mix of good and bad. I just think way more good than bad though.
Why would you not call the people in charge of the park before you called the cops?
fugdannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:33 PM   #45
fugdannin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
If one's occupation didn't put you at the courthouse, or the county jail, or in conversations with law enforcement officers, or probation/parole officers, or prosecutors, or defense attorneys, (I'm sure I'm forgetting others), but if your occupation didn't expose you to this, then you have no idea how surrounded you are by criminals and other bad people, be they "petty or seriously bad." No amount of optimism nor rose colored glasses will change this fact.

Trust your instincts. Mother Nature gave you that tool for a reason. In case it's not obvious, the reason is for your "safety and survival." If something seems wrong, leave. If possible. If you're instinct was wrong, you're out nothing. If you're right, then you've removed yourself from the problem. Better safe, than sorry, right?

And for those of us comfortable with the 2nd Amendment, be prepared.
On the money. Will walk away if they let me. Most of them are predators looking for easy prey so don't act like easy prey.
fugdannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:55 PM   #46
JRTJH
Site Team

When it comes to "frequent issues" while RVing versus "at home where nothing ever happens"... Think about how stable the neighborhood in most S&B communities really are. Houses don't move, families living in those houses also seldom move, so you're "camping with the same people for years on end "while at home"....

When in the RV, the whole community is mobile. People come and go and it's not uncommon to have new neighbors on both sides every couple of days... Simply because of this "mobility" you'll be exposed to more people in a week or two in a campground than you are in most "S&B neighborhoods" in 2 or 3 years...

So, the potential to "come across someone that doesn't fit in or someone who's a "jerk and you know it" is much greater in a campground than in most communities (at home)...

That doesn't mean RVing has more risk (most RV'ers are great, honest people), but you'll occasionally find that one that isn't "friendly neighbor" material.... It happens occasionally, there's not a lot any of us can do to prevent it from happening. Learn how to best deal with it and always remember, unlike your S&B, where you may be "stuck in a bad situation", this RV house has wheels and you can be "on your way to a nicer neighborhood" in less than an hour....

Keep smiling, keep being friendly, keep helping others and the vast majority will return your efforts, usually 10 fold....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:16 PM   #47
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
How many German Shepherds constitute a pack? You get our Chihuhuas and Peekapoo barking and you will not want to open our camper door. Seriously, pooches of most any sort that watch out for strangers are one of the best RV security systems. We never take along any of our mutts who might actually do something about an intruder other than bark as our queen bed limits the amount of dog critters on a trip.
Well, in our case it is usually three to four.
We used to big time show more than now, old age has slowed us down, but we had 17 all living in the house at one time. The most I ever took on a road trip though was 15. Calls for a lot of work remembering who can be out with who and who has a grudge against who and etc.
The boys are much easier to live with as they respect the pack order. The girls however........ Well lets just say don't ever get a girl mad at you, she will never forget, and I think that goes across species.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:22 PM   #48
KarenK

There was a similar shower incident in a small campground in MI years ago. Woman's first mistake was using the shower building late at night tween 11 and midnight. Guy went into the stall, she ran out screaming, her boyfriend (was a cop) chased the guy while other campers got the girl a jacket and stayed with her.

I almost always shower in my camper. Past couple of summers I have used the individual locking shower rooms in a state park in Pentwater, MI in the middle of the day...after they've been cleaned and before the onslaught of kids after supper. Mostly because I didn't have water hook up and was rationing my water usage. When it was just my kid and I we always cleaned up inside if it was dark out.

I'm not overly friendly...goes with the territory when you're a solo female camper. Usually have friends/family in the campground to socialize with, but sometimes it's just better to say goodnight and head in when the vibe around the campfire heads south. We've been in the bar biz for yrs, my creep radar is pretty keen.

Not meant to discourage you from having fun traveling just stay aware and selective who you interact with.
Past
2006 Springdale 280 FWIKL-GL
1997 Jayco 253
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:24 PM   #49
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
I would then remind them profiling isn't bad thing unless they were profiling people based on race, sex etc. I would then use a similar analogy to Ken / Claudia. Everyone does it, they profile people/situations using their life experiences as a guide.
"Discrimination" is a survival trait.
Remember what happened to the Dodo, who didn't have it.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:34 PM   #50
LadyFaire

When the whole "let people use whatever dressing room or rest room they want" started, someone asked my husband what he would do if some male followed me into (or entered while I was using) the facilities. He said he'd direct the people with the stretcher in so they could cart out the male's carcass. I am very feminine, nice and sweet. Unless you threaten me in any way. Then, my training kicks in. I was LEO, both military and civilian. If threatened, I am neither nice, nor sweet. Seriously, you HAVE to stand up for yourself. You HAVE to defend and protect yourself. A lot of times, there is no one else who CAN. Of course, if you are the victim sort, carry on.

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 30B
2019 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR V6
TINSTAAFL - "there is no such thing as a free lunch" Any farmer can tell you:
"you don't work, you don't eat." It is that simple.
LadyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:50 PM   #51
chuckster57
Site Team

We have found over the years that the fees for a site can filter out MOST of the type we like to avoid. Being retired LEO, I don’t really want to worry any extra. There is a public campground 20 miles away, county passed a law that allows any indigent person to stay free for 14 days, have to leave for 3 days and can return.

We stopped going there after watching some “interactions” between campers. Yes County Mounties showed up, said stop it and left.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 03:21 AM   #52
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
We have found over the years that the fees for a site can filter out MOST of the type we like to avoid. Being retired LEO, I don’t really want to worry any extra. There is a public campground 20 miles away, county passed a law that allows any indigent person to stay free for 14 days, have to leave for 3 days and can return.

We stopped going there after watching some “interactions” between campers. Yes County Mounties showed up, said stop it and left.
So the campground was turned into a homeless camp?
Old 11-15-2021, 04:02 AM   #53
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I think this is in California.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 04:03 AM   #54
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Perhaps he refers to his entire state?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 05:11 AM   #55
foneguy

Quote:

Say no more. Memphis is crime ridden I don’t go there without a firearm!
foneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 05:45 AM   #56
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
No. It is a county operated campground at a reservoir. There are sites available with a variety of hook ups. My boss still camps there, I don’t know which section because he has a triple axle TH with a Gen.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:53 PM   #57
jasin1

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Perhaps he refers to his entire state?
Ok makes sense now
Old 11-15-2021, 04:57 PM   #58
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
No. It is a county operated campground at a reservoir. There are sites available with a variety of hook ups. My boss still camps there, I don’t know which section because he has a triple axle TH with a Gen.
I think I’d avoid that campground personally
Old 11-15-2021, 05:19 PM   #59
chuckster57
Site Team

We do avoid it.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:09 PM   #60
P & T

Quote:
I think I’d avoid that campground personally
Quote:
No joke. There are nore non operational rv's and motorhomes all over the Bay Area. San Francisco all around lake Merced and Oakland too. They set up homeless camps and run extension cords that tie into lamp posts or whatever. The cities deliver porta-johns and ohhh the smell! The dips#*t Governor started a program where they were buying slightly used rv's and handing them out to homeless people (literally setting up empty lots full of these).

As the common areas filled up with dumper rv's, the decent campgrounds on the Delta filled up with full timers. We had a full time spot for about 3 years to have Delta access for the kids anytime we wanted. It was great until it started to get crowded with sketchy characters. The campgrounds tried to raise prices to weed people out and it worked until social services started paying the difference for many.

We took a few years off of rv'ing until about 3 years ago and we set standards as to where we'll camp and the #1 rule is only friendly small talk in passing, we don't need any new best friends.
NV is home but SD is where I'll be.
P & T is offline   Reply With Quote