Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2021, 06:53 PM   #1
Freeheel4life

Snowbirds looking for a Bend spot

I haven't posted or looked around here in a while but the forum helped me a lot when I picked up my Springdale (it's been a while but both UP John and CA John helped me a ton, and thank you)

That being said I'm about to have some hookups available in the Bend/Sunriver area. Was hoping to get some feedback on what people might be willing to pay?? I've discovered long term/summer spaces are hard to come by in the area. Also, what's 30A vs 50A service price difference worth to most full timers/snowbirds??

I'm sure there's an app out there that most are using that I don't know about. Aby suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you all for every bit of info I've gleaned from this fountain if knowledge.
Freeheel4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:41 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I think there are a lot of variables in your question; location, length of stay, facility etc. I've stayed in places where there was very little monthly difference in 50A vs 30A and some with no difference if both were offered at the site. Nightly rates obviously very because the campground usually picks up that tab but monthly usually falls to the camper.

For us we stay in 50A only unless it is a dire situation...and I won't be there long. One place in FL charges 50 a month extra for 50A monthly. Another nothing...but their rates are plenty to take care of it.

I guess to answer your question - "what's it worth" would be 100% subjective. How much do you want everything you can run to run...or not? For us I don't care what the difference is because on a monthly basis it is usually minimal. I wouldn't hesitate to pay 100+ a month for 50A just because. JMO and your best bet is to start checking campgrounds to see what those differences are in YOUR area you are going to...they vary a lot.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:15 AM   #3
notanlines

There are Encore parks in the area that get about $900/mo and $1,050 with 50 amp. We've found that Encore is high as a cat's back (like KOA) but usually clean and well maintained across the country.
Charge what the market will bear is sort of the world's mantra. Mom and pop RV parks are going the way of the mom and pop farms. Oh, did I mention the mom and pop grocery stores, hardware stores....
In our travels around the country we see that the small, private resorts/RV parks that families flocked to back in the day are quickly deteriorating, folding, being left to be used for other things. Young people are generally not willing to work a dairy farm milking 40 head of Holsteins, working 20 hours a day, 8 days a week. The 'farm' down the road is milking 5,000 head of cows, three times a day, with two milking carousels and 40 employees.
The day of the $20/night RV parks are about over. And 30 amps? Even 32' RV's are sometimes equipped with 50 amps. Try to camp in hill country, Austin, Texas area for the month of July with 30 amps and 32' of RV. 50 amp service is almost mandatory these days and old RV parks with 30amp aluminum wiring built in the 60's aren't going to survive.
If you are going to attract a crowd of campers you will have to have good amenities and what you charge will be secondary.
I guess all the mom and pop RV operators are working 40 hours a week? Uh huh, dream on.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:08 AM   #4
fatcatzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
There are Encore parks in the area that get about $900/mo and $1,050 with 50 amp. We've found that Encore is high as a cat's back (like KOA) but usually clean and well maintained across the country.
Charge what the market will bear is sort of the world's mantra. Mom and pop RV parks are going the way of the mom and pop farms. Oh, did I mention the mom and pop grocery stores, hardware stores....
In our travels around the country we see that the small, private resorts/RV parks that families flocked to back in the day are quickly deteriorating, folding, being left to be used for other things. Young people are generally not willing to work a dairy farm milking 40 head of Holsteins, working 20 hours a day, 8 days a week. The 'farm' down the road is milking 5,000 head of cows, three times a day, with two milking carousels and 40 employees.
The day of the $20/night RV parks are about over. And 30 amps? Even 32' RV's are sometimes equipped with 50 amps. Try to camp in hill country, Austin, Texas area for the month of July with 30 amps and 32' of RV. 50 amp service is almost mandatory these days and old RV parks with 30amp aluminum wiring built in the 60's aren't going to survive.
If you are going to attract a crowd of campers you will have to have good amenities and what you charge will be secondary.
I guess all the mom and pop RV operators are working 40 hours a week? Uh huh, dream on.
Think you are wrong no Encore parks in the Bend/ Sunriver area of Oregon. There is a Thousand Trails park, but most sites do not have sewer. There are both 50 and 30 amp sites. Hope this helps.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:15 AM   #5
notanlines

I simply thought that Encore/Thousand Trails RV Park, Bend, Oregon, owned by
Equity Lifestyle Properties might be in the Bend, Oregon area. My bad. I take back everything I wrote and will be more careful in the future. I got that little wink from a 'Master electrician' member...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote