Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2021, 09:41 AM   #21
rlh1957

The extended warranty usually is for issues occurring after manf/factory/dealer warranties expire.

Regardless, with that many issues right after delivery... I’d hitch up and pull in to their lot when they open.
I’d be sure every executive, sales and service associate and customer walking in knew that I was unhappy with the service and rig I got. Your ink isn’t even dry and your sales person hasn’t even gotten their commission yet.

Record everything on camera or camera phone for posterity.
No need in shouting or causing a scene. You can remain in charge and forceful without threats and getting all red faced.
The public supports a customer that has been wronged but get crazy, well not do much!

If you have a friend in the media looking for a story invite them along. If a positive outcome it will be good for CW public standing and you get served soon.
Doesn’t matter who’s fault it is... it always goes back to the dealer service to fix.

Check your states return laws where you can void contracts based on lemons.
Maybe they'd like their bum rig back.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:58 PM   #22
CampForever

Extended Service Plan from Good Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfredregill View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am a first time RV buyer and also new to the forum.

On March 29th I purchased a new 2021 26RKS travel trailer with the extended $2300 warranty from Camping World. Here is my experience since signing off:

Went to pick it up and battery was dead, so I had to run down a tech at Camping World and have him find a replacement battery so I could hook it up, but he was able to do that.

Got home, parked, leveled, plugged in the shore power to charge battery, but had to leave on a trip.

Got back April 16th, started trying out the features. Quickly discovered outlets were out, along with outside fridge, and bath GFI trips as soon as I plug into shore power. Called for appointment but no availability for 2-3 weeks. Got the techs on the line, all of who have been great. They suggested I swap out the GFI, which I did. I should add that I have sold my home, closng on April 30 and moving into the RV temporarily while a search for a new home. So I am extremely busy packing. Replacement GFI did not work; techs think I have a short and must bring it in. Got an appointment on May 17th.

Then yesterday while de-winterizing and sanitizing, I discovered that when I turn on the water pump, I have a big leak on the rear of the toilet which put a whole lot of water into the unit. I consulted with the tech again, he was very helpful, suggested maybe pulling the toilet, taking it in to Camping World (I live a mile away). Don't really have time for this, plus I don't feel like should have to put up with this on a brand new RV, with a very expensive warranty, right off the lot.

Responded to an email from the Camping World General Manager near me (not where I bought it) who sent an email prior to this, offering to help if I needed it. Described the issues to him. No response thus far.

I don't really want to go 17 days with no plumbing and don't feel like I should have to.

What would you do? I think it is time to play hardball.

Thanks,
Will
According to the Good Sam representative trying to sell me an extended warranty yesterday, "you are not required under this warranty to take it to Camping World, if you don't though you have a $100 deductible. If you take it to Camping World they wave $50 of the duductible."
CALL AROUND

2015 Montana 3910 FBTH
2015 Chevrolet 3500 Dually Duramax
Camping since 1972
CampForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:54 PM   #23
MarvnMabel

Listen, my 25RES has been with the dealer more than with me since June 2 last year. Keystone actually flew out to meet with us (in Montana). Have it back now on a long road trip - - not happy still.
MarvnMabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:19 PM   #24
Phil Saran

I've been in your place. I live in Denver Colorado and we were traveling
to Michigan for a 4 week trip (June 2019) the first night in Nebraska
we could not get the water heater to work. Luckily the CG had nice
bathroom/showers. In the morning I started calling dealers to the east
of us since that was the direction we were heading. Called two CW and
one other non CW. All too busy to even have me stop by for a look.

I called Keystone Customer Retention (800#) and talked with them
they said call a mobile mechanic and save parts and receipt for work.

I called and found a mechanic 30 miles east of me and made a appointment
to stop at his shop in the morning (saving me a $80 service call).

He tested and found the circuit board to be bad and the electric probe
to also be bad. $200 parts/labor and we had a water heater that worked
and went on our trip.

When I got home I called Keystone and they said to mail them the items
and the recipe.

A couple of weeks later I got a email stating they would pay for the circuit
board and it's labor, but the electric probe was considered a consumable
item. I accepted my money and moved on.

On the way up into the Upper Pennsville (sp?) in Mich. I lost my left rear
brake on the 5th wheel. I knew we were headed to Zeeland MI so I called
and made a appointment at a Keystone dealer, took it in and the tech
started to check it over and I said look at the left rear because it was
the hottest one. The tech pulled the tire and then started on the brake
drum and all the guts fell on the ground. He said that's new I never had
one come apart. They got a new brake assembly and installed it and
checked the other brakes and had us out the door in a couple of hours.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:26 AM   #25
Susan1955

Service after the sale😡

I am so sorry to hear about your experience with Camping World and your purchase of a new trailer there. I purchase a trailer, keystone passport 2017 at the Camping World in Mesa Arizona. I was not surprised to read the comments about fixing the trailer yourself. I assume that’s why you bought the extended warranty so you didn’t have to do it. I read many times that it almost never a good idea and I’m so glad I didn’t get one. After spending thousands of dollars to purchase a new RV why would the new owners then have to fix so many things? Yes I understand a few things may get overlooked when building, and on walk thru but there’s no reason it should take 4 to 8 to 12 weeks getting these things done. I can order something from Amazon and get it the next day. But Camping World always claims that it’s gonna take 2 to 3 months to get a “part” Come on. Also don’t you think the new owners should get first in line after paying thousands? I bought a new trailer so I didn’t have to deal with problems that used trailers might have. I’m not handy so I now take it in to better service depts or find someone who can do the work much cheaper and way faster so I can be camping not waiting.
Susan1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:17 AM   #26
Grumpy Camper

Sorry to hear about your issues with CW! I had similar results when I purchased my 2020 Cougar with them as well.
heater not working, refrigerator not working, leaking shower, awnings pulling off
multiple trips back... spent more time trailering from Cape Cod to Berkeley than going any trips.
What a coincidence.
Good luck!
Grumpy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:15 PM   #27
wfredregill

Update on 2021 26 RKS issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfredregill View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am a first time RV buyer and also new to the forum.

On March 29th I purchased a new 2021 26RKS travel trailer with the extended $2300 warranty from Camping World. Here is my experience since signing off:

Went to pick it up and battery was dead, so I had to run down a tech at Camping World and have him find a replacement battery so I could hook it up, but he was able to do that.

Got home, parked, leveled, plugged in the shore power to charge battery, but had to leave on a trip.

Got back April 16th, started trying out the features. Quickly discovered outlets were out, along with outside fridge, and bath GFI trips as soon as I plug into shore power. Called for appointment but no availability for 2-3 weeks. Got the techs on the line, all of who have been great. They suggested I swap out the GFI, which I did. I should add that I have sold my home, closng on April 30 and moving into the RV temporarily while a search for a new home. So I am extremely busy packing. Replacement GFI did not work; techs think I have a short and must bring it in. Got an appointment on May 17th.

Then yesterday while de-winterizing and sanitizing, I discovered that when I turn on the water pump, I have a big leak on the rear of the toilet which put a whole lot of water into the unit. I consulted with the tech again, he was very helpful, suggested maybe pulling the toilet, taking it in to Camping World (I live a mile away). Don't really have time for this, plus I don't feel like should have to put up with this on a brand new RV, with a very expensive warranty, right off the lot.

Responded to an email from the Camping World General Manager near me (not where I bought it) who sent an email prior to this, offering to help if I needed it. Described the issues to him. No response thus far.

I don't really want to go 17 days with no plumbing and don't feel like I should have to.

What would you do? I think it is time to play hardball.

Thanks,
Will
May 17th update:

So, the Campinig World in Lakeville (near me) fixed the plumbing issue but not the electical, so I kept the appoimtment at Baxter, MN for today that I made on April 21.

I packed up the trailer this morning, drove about an hour to Camping World / Gander at Baxter, and on arrival was told "this is just a drop off - we can't even get to this for another month." (But, I made this appointment almost a month ago....) They suggested I try other dealerships (outside of Camping World)

In the meantime I have more warranty issues for the list.

This is really taking the fun out of it. What would you guys do now?

Also, my fear is that even if I do find someone to look at this electrical problem, if it is indeed a short, a staple through a wire somethere, won't they have to be pulling walls apart to get at it? I've put screws through wires at home and had to do that. Not sure I would still want the RV if these guys are ripping out walls on a new RV.

Will
wfredregill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:52 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Will, unfortunately this all started off on the wrong foot for you. Your issues would have/should have been found before your trailer ever left the lot...you are new and didn't know. Shame on the selling dealership. Now you have what you have and I hate that for you.

Some thoughts and some things you have to navigate in RV ownership;

Your trailer has issues. They were not found before the sale, you signed off on it and it then became a "warranty" problem...much more difficult to resolve once you have driven away with it.

You bought the trailer from one dealer further away and want a dealer "closer" to work on it. Generally that just won't work. With CW they will honor the warranty of any trailer they sell....but, at a non selling dealer, you will not take a preferred spot - you get put in line as you are seeing. Without some leverage or personal interaction with a non selling dealer it is what it is.

When making an "appt." at a dealer it will be to bring it in...not get it fixed while you wait. The wait could be a week or 6 mos. You really need to have some idea of what is going on in the trailer, how it works and what might be broke or cause any malfunction. Not doing so leaves you wide open for some of the things you are experiencing and folks ripping you off in the future.

Worrying about staples in wiring, walls coming out etc. is premature. You need to get someone qualified to look that stuff over and give a professional assessment. It will probably be fairly simple. Unfortunately it's just not quick, easy or simple once you elect to involve a dealership of any kind. Good luck to you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar