Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
dlooney

chirping furnace

Hello to all. We are new to this site and have already learned so much. We recently bought a 2006 Keystone Cougar 309efs (traded in a 2003 Wildcat)and took it out for the first time this weekend. When using the furnace I hear something that sounds like a cricket chirping. This does not happen all the time. The dealer we bought it from told us that everything checked out fine and that everything worked properly but want to make sure this is normal. Should we be concerned about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I've never posted anything so I hope I'm doing this right.

Thanks.
Arkansas
dlooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Keith and Donna, Welcome to the forum. From what you describe it is possible that the fan has not been used for a while and may be a little stiff. There are many things on the furnace that can make strange sounds. There are blank ports on the heat exchanger that can rattle or squeak. Dirt or insect nests in burners can also cause noises. The fan ( without the burner ) runs before ignition and again after the flame stops, if you hear the noise at these times it is the fan. If you where not present for the testing of the furnace at the dealer see if they are willing to RETEST with you there and point out the noise. Hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
rver

Our Challerger also chirps - it is coming from the propane tank area and I cannot figure out what is causing it. We had this noise when we first purchased this 5er and the dealer replaced the pressure regulator but that did not stop the odd noise. I'm beginning to think it might still be the regulator. Noise happens with use of the frig, the stove and/or the water heater.
rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
dlooney

Thanks hankpage. Our camper sits on a lot year round about 2 1/2 hours from us (our weekend get-a-way). I think I'll have my husband check the few things you mentioned before we take it back to the dealer. Again, this is a great site and I know we'll enjoy. Thanks a bunch!
Arkansas
Old 03-11-2010, 04:47 AM   #5
deadeye

In the latest addition of Good Sam Highways their was a article regarding " chirping" caused in the propane tanks. Since 2005 the code requires a 1 way valve in the pigtails connecting the tanks to the regulator valve. Sometimes the valve gets sticky. The suggested method to correct the problem was to disconnect the tanks and spray a small amount of WD40 in the lines to lubricate the 1 way valves.
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
dlooney

Going back next weekend so we'll try that also. Thanks so much.
Arkansas
Old 03-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
In the latest addition of Good Sam Highways their was a article regarding " chirping" caused in the propane tanks. Since 2005 the code requires a 1 way valve in the pigtails connecting the tanks to the regulator valve. Sometimes the valve gets sticky. The suggested method to correct the problem was to disconnect the tanks and spray a small amount of WD40 in the lines to lubricate the 1 way valves.
deadeye,
That's one I had not heard of. Thanks for the info, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #8
rver

Thank you very much, Deadeye. That chirping has been driving me more nuts! I don't normally carry WD40 since it can get gummed up by dirt but since this will be internal, I'll get a small can and try it. Wonder if it will cause a fish oil smell since I understand that it is the primary oil in Water Dispersal formula 40?
Old 03-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
rver

I did try the WD40 trick and it worked! Just tried it on a fried here at Big River and it worked for him as well. Thank you.

PS - No fish smell.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
hankaye

Howdy All;

Two winters ago I was hearing a churp-churp-churp whenever my furnace fan kicked-in.

The night of Dec. 6th. I was awakened by the top of my head being cold (!).
Bear in mind that this is a 1995 TT that I had bought used and am still living in fulltime (08 Cougar 278RKS willl replace it end of this month), here in Central Utah. That night the temp got down into the -40's ..... The motor chose that night to die.
end result was a freeze-out. Insruance covered all but the deductiable... was back in within a month. Repair facility closed for 2 weeks fro Christmas...
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote