Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2022, 04:59 PM   #1
Tom35758

Brand new Hideout 253RL! hitch problem

Ok, there has got to be a simple answer to my problem, the hitch on the Hideout will not disconnect, from the husky wd hitch it will not unlock, wiggled the tv front to back, raised and lowered the jack, got to the point of lifting the tv rear wheels, finally after 15-25mins of trying it finally unlocks. What is the answer, it should not be this hard, there is no way to adjust the locking mechanism of the hitch?

2022 Keystone Hideout 253RL

2018 Nissan Armada tow vehicle
Tom35758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:15 PM   #2
Np2650

Is it properly lubricated? I used to clean and re-lubricate the socket and locking mechanism on my tow behind at the start of every season. If I didn't do that, it would occasionally stick and not release.
Np2650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:18 PM   #3
Tom35758

my wife and i end up covered with grease every time we try to unhitch, so yes

2022 Keystone Hideout 253RL

2018 Nissan Armada tow vehicle
Tom35758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:52 PM   #4
markcee

Is this a chronic issue?

On occasion I've had to put the truck in reverse and just bump it back a fraction and hold it there. My wife is usually on jack duty so she will then give it a go while I stay on the brake. If you need to get out yourself, perhaps put the emergency brake on before shifting back to Park to avoid the truck settling forward again.

Not familiar with the Husky hitch but if it's setup with the head adjusted with a decent tilt, causing the ball to be angled downward, that may exacerbate the issue.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 04:53 AM   #5
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post

Not familiar with the Husky hitch but if it's setup with the head adjusted with a decent tilt, causing the ball to be angled downward, that may exacerbate the issue.
This is exactly the issue with mine. CW installed mine at the greatest angle possible. I have to be perfect when both hitching and unhitching.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:04 AM   #6
wegone

I've experienced in my driveway at home a few times.
What I came to find out is my TV is cocked, on a different side to side plane than the trailer, as my parking spot for my trailer is flat, the area leading up to it is not, it's downhill and not as level as the trailer pad.

Make sure your bumper on your TV is as level (side to side) as your trailer.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 04:50 AM   #7
Weldon

My equalizer hitch does that every now and then, even when it's lubed up with the equalizer blue hitch grease. I either back the truck up a 1/4 of an inch or lightly tap the release with my rubber mallet. I know the exact height that the TT and TV should release. If you do not, use the backup method. Also, which model WD hitch do you have? I assume you have raised the tongue on your travel trailer higher than the level of the ball on your vehicle. The first time I tried to unhitch my equalizer, it took me about 10 tries to figure out the process with a friction weight distribution hitch. The camping world guy who told me what to do was...less than helpful. YouTube and this forum gave me what I needed to get it done. It is likely a simple answer but more info needed to help you out.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout, hitch