Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2022, 07:31 PM   #1
timbentzel

Tow Calculator

Hi everyone, does anyone have a good tow calculator to determine the tow capacity of your vehicle? I may be looking for a new tow vehicle in the future and RV and I know there are a lot of factors and detailed calculations that have to be considered before making a final decision, but I was looking for something to get me in the ballpark to run some different scenarios before running the numbers on a specific tow vehicle and RV before purchasing either. Any recommendations would be appreciated...thanks!!
timbentzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:49 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

You can approach it one of two ways:

Find the RV you like, then armed with the weights you can find the appropriate tow vehicle or:

Decide what you want as a tow vehicle, and again armed with weight capacity’s find a trailer suited for the tow vehicle.

Until you have in your mind the size/length of the trailer you want, or the tow vehicle, there really isn’t any reason to talk about any “tables”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 03:56 PM   #3
Genek

Load Capacity

But most of all….don’t forget the load capacity!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
You can approach it one of two ways:

Find the RV you like, then armed with the weights you can find the appropriate tow vehicle or:

Decide what you want as a tow vehicle, and again armed with weight capacity’s find a trailer suited for the tow vehicle.

Until you have in your mind the size/length of the trailer you want, or the tow vehicle, there really isn’t any reason to talk about any “tables”.
Genek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:56 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

"Tow capacity" is a useless number when talking about towing a camper. Modern day drive trains are quite capable of towing anything that doesn’t exceed the PAYLOAD of the truck. Typically the truck's payload is the limiting factor.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:33 PM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
"Tow capacity" is a useless number when talking about towing a camper. Modern day drive trains are quite capable of towing anything that doesn’t exceed the PAYLOAD of the truck. Typically the truck's payload is the limiting factor.
X2
Unfortunately the towing capacity is the first number many see when looking for a tow vehicle! Then when looking at a trailer they look at dry weights not GVWR!
Just saw the saddest post on another forum. The poster had a 15,000# 5er tow with 2021 F250 with a GVWR over 10,000# likely close to 11,000#. He was encouraged to get a F350 “One Ton”, well bought a 2022 F350 CC SB with a GVWR of 11,500# and only gained 350# of payload! Now with his new one ton he is still 250# over GVWR, and within 450# of his rear axle rating.
One really needs to look at the numbers!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:25 PM   #6
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
X2
Unfortunately the towing capacity is the first number many see when looking for a tow vehicle! Then when looking at a trailer they look at dry weights not GVWR!
Just saw the saddest post on another forum. The poster had a 15,000# 5er tow with 2021 F250 with a GVWR over 10,000# likely close to 11,000#. He was encouraged to get a F350 “One Ton”, well bought a 2022 F350 CC SB with a GVWR of 11,500# and only gained 350# of payload! Now with his new one ton he is still 250# over GVWR, and within 450# of his rear axle rating.
One really needs to look at the numbers!
Have you weighed the front axle on a Dodge 6.7? It’s going to be within 500# of your front axle rating…
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:03 PM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essvar View Post
Have you weighed the front axle on a Dodge 6.7? It’s going to be within 500# of your front axle rating…
Yes, front axle weighs about 5,500# on a 6,000#rating. That said that weight doesn’t change much unless one puts a big bumper on.

The rear axle has far more opportunity to gain weight. The poster was already over GVWR and at only 450# left on the rear axle.

My point was that he recognized that the F250 wasn’t enough TV, so he went and traded the oversized F250 for a F350 with only a few (350#) pounds of payload.

I thought about getting a SRW Ram 3500 CC LB with a 12,300# GVWR, and about 4,200# payload. I ran the numbers and I would likely be right at the 4,200# payload. So we skipped the SRW and opted for the DRW.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:41 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbentzel View Post
Hi everyone, does anyone have a good tow calculator to determine the tow capacity of your vehicle? I may be looking for a new tow vehicle in the future and RV and I know there are a lot of factors and detailed calculations that have to be considered before making a final decision, but I was looking for something to get me in the ballpark to run some different scenarios before running the numbers on a specific tow vehicle and RV before purchasing either. Any recommendations would be appreciated...thanks!!

Lots of numbers to consider - max towing capacity and shipping weight of the RV are meaningless.

For a start take the yellow/white sticker inside the driver's door of the prospective truck and get the payload. Then find a prospective RV; take the shipping weight of the RV PLUS the carrying capacity and add them, that will give you the gvw of the trailer; some brands put that on there and others you have to add. Then take that gvw of the trailer and multiply it by .12(12%) for a bumper pull and .22 (22%) for a 5th wheel; that will give you an approximate tongue/pin weight for the RV. To that add 200lbs. for a hitch and 600 - 750 lbs. for "stuff" in the truck. Now you have the pin/tongue weight plus 200 for hitch and 6-750 for "stuff" (including people) in the truck. That will get you to a starting point. If a bumper pull the hitch will be less than the 5th wheel. On the other hand, it doesn't hurt at all, and is in fact preferable, to have a safety cushion in your weights.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:27 AM   #9
Gumby52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Lots of numbers to consider - max towing capacity and shipping weight of the RV are meaningless.

For a start take the yellow/white sticker inside the driver's door of the prospective truck and get the payload. Then find a prospective RV; take the shipping weight of the RV PLUS the carrying capacity and add them, that will give you the gvw of the trailer; some brands put that on there and others you have to add. Then take that gvw of the trailer and multiply it by .12(12%) for a bumper pull and .22 (22%) for a 5th wheel; that will give you an approximate tongue/pin weight for the RV. To that add 200lbs. for a hitch and 600 - 750 lbs. for "stuff" in the truck. Now you have the pin/tongue weight plus 200 for hitch and 6-750 for "stuff" (including people) in the truck. That will get you to a starting point. If a bumper pull the hitch will be less than the 5th wheel. On the other hand, it doesn't hurt at all, and is in fact preferable, to have a safety cushion in your weights.
"DO NOT use weights from brochures (tow capacity tables) of the truck or rvs, most are based on a specific truck "as equipped" you probably wouldn't buy & dry weights of rvs which you will never tow anywhere near that weight. Absolutely DO NOT take advice about ANY weights from a truck or rv salesperson, 1st they don't know, 2nd they don't care, they want to sell you something whether it's appropriate or not. If either salesperson says "yea with that truck you can tow anything on the lot" or "that rv can easily be towed by your vehicle" run, don't walk away.
The pertinent numbers are posted on the trucks door jamb & on the manufacturers tag on the driver's side front corner of the rv or a tag in a cabinet somewhere."

Actually, I think the two Danny's (Sourdough & Travelin Texans) have the exact table the OP was looking for - exactly in that order and as written. I couldn't figure out how to quote 2 replies, so I quoted the first and copied the second - don't mean to plagiarize...

This is why I hang out and lurk around here.

Gary & Judy
and of course the 2 shelties
2018 Cougar Half-Ton 22RBS
2017 F-250 6.2L
Gumby52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:57 AM   #10
lcarver02

First, there is no tow calculator or chart as each person has some unique towing needs or desires. Some advice would be to first pick a trailer you like, or style you will like for at least 10 years. Determine what loading you will have, toys, items stored for your trip, people, and anything else that weighs over 20 pounds. Next step would be to get the information on this trailer and go to a new truck dealer to have them "spec" a truck for you. You will need to tell them where you plan on going (altitude), grades you will be pulling, and your personal preferences (fuel type) and truck type. They should be able to give you a good idea of the equipment you need. The most important item here - your budget. Some advice is to add in about 10-15 percent buffer just in case you get a different trailer or find some friends.
lcarver02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:32 AM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarver02 View Post
First, there is no tow calculator or chart as each person has some unique towing needs or desires. Some advice would be to first pick a trailer you like, or style you will like for at least 10 years. Determine what loading you will have, toys, items stored for your trip, people, and anything else that weighs over 20 pounds. Next step would be to get the information on this trailer and go to a new truck dealer to have them "spec" a truck for you. You will need to tell them where you plan on going (altitude), grades you will be pulling, and your personal preferences (fuel type) and truck type. They should be able to give you a good idea of the equipment you need. The most important item here - your budget. Some advice is to add in about 10-15 percent buffer just in case you get a different trailer or find some friends.
Most every rv listed on a website will have a "spec" section, look at the dry weight + carrying capacity or the GVWR, with this number use 13% of that weight for tongue weight + 100lbs for the hitch a TT or 23% for pin weight of a 5th wheel + 200+lbs for the hitch. With these numbers campare them to the driver's door of a particular truck for payload & front/rear axle weights. Each truck has its own particular weights whereas any chart will use generalities rather than particulars.
I personally WOULD NOT consult the truck dealer for advice on any weights or towing abilities, they have one agenda, sell you a truck PERIOD.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 01:47 PM   #12
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarver02 View Post
I agree with Travelin' Texans on this one....I would never trust a Ford dealer to sell me the properly equipped truck. Perhaps if you find a good commercial fleet manager to deal with, but not the truck salesman at your local Ford dealer - even one with a large new truck inventory. The salesmen I've dealt with wouldn't even know what I was talking about if I mentioned the payload sticker, much less provide any valuable input after telling them the altitude I'm going to be towing at, grades etc.

I learned the hard way that it's incumbent upon the buyer to know what he needs and to understand basic tow requirements. Trusting the sales people can be one of the most costly mistakes a new RV'er can make...BTDT.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:18 AM   #13
travelin texans

DO NOT use weights from brochures (tow capacity tables) of the truck or rvs, most are based on a specific truck "as equipped" you probably wouldn't buy & dry weights of rvs which you will never tow anywhere near that weight. Absolutely DO NOT take advice about ANY weights from a truck or rv salesperson, 1st they don't know, 2nd they don't care, they want to sell you something whether it's appropriate or not. If either salesperson says "yea with that truck you can tow anything on the lot" or "that rv can easily be towed by your vehicle" run, don't walk away.
The pertinent numbers are posted on the trucks door jamb & on the manufacturers tag on the driver's side front corner of the rv or a tag in a cabinet somewhere.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:08 PM   #14
wiredgeorge

Hopefully the OP will log back on and see some of this wisdom. He was last on at the very time he posted his query.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:15 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

He logged in last night I believe. I looked at his profile page and he has a post stating he bought a 2021 Cougar

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=50079

So now I’m wondering if he’s getting out of it or just upgrading his TV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:29 PM   #16
wiredgeorge

Quote:
He logged in last night I believe. I looked at his profile page and he has a post stating he bought a 2021 Cougar

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=50079

So now I’m wondering if he’s getting out of it or just upgrading his TV.
Chuck... totally unrelated but I know you must work on campers of almost all vintages. What age range is your most frequently worked on? New, a couple years old, 10 years? Etc. Just being nosy since do-it-yourself vs shop doing the work has come up so much lately.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:33 AM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Chuck... totally unrelated but I know you must work on campers of almost all vintages. What age range is your most frequently worked on? New, a couple years old, 10 years? Etc. Just being nosy since do-it-yourself vs shop doing the work has come up so much lately.
It seems like I see a lot of older stuff lately. Right now I have a 2007 Monaco diplomat with slide motor issues. Last month I had an Alpha Gold See Ya 2000 I think. But we are replacing a rear wall on a 2015(?) Thor Ace and yesterday we started an axle swap on a 2018 crossroads.

A lot of the older rigs are owned by people my age and older who either can’t or just don’t want to work on them.

Old 01-27-2022, 05:30 AM   #18
wiredgeorge

Quote:
It seems like I see a lot of older stuff lately. Right now I have a 2007 Monaco diplomat with slide motor issues. Last month I had an Alpha Gold See Ya 2000 I think. But we are replacing a rear wall on a 2015(?) Thor Ace and yesterday we started an axle swap on a 2018 crossroads.

A lot of the older rigs are owned by people my age and older who either can’t or just don’t want to work on them.
I don't like working on mine but there are few alternatives for shop repair near where I live and even though I am kinda on the geezer side, can't afford to do the upkeep I can do myself. I rebuild vintage motorcycle carburetors all day long and doing upkeep and repair just doesn't seem like fun but I do what needs doing. I will NOT work on my truck and am happy to pay a pro to do it as getting into the engine bay these days on the 1 ton is painful even with a Chewy box laid out over the engine.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:27 AM   #19
rhagfo

Well another thread sidetracked, this time by a senior member, and a site team member, it happens so easily.

Towing calculators if you do an internet search you will likely find some, some work well other not so well.

I think fitting an existing TV to a new trailer is much easier than fitting a new TV to existing trailer.

Worse yet is new TV to new trailer, due to the many unknowns.

One thing I read many times with those ordering new TV, especially new trucks, is that once the order is completed the dealer can't provide what the trucks payload will be.

Manufactures should be able to calculate what the effect of different options will be on total payload as the vehicle is ordered.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:35 AM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well another thread sidetracked, this time by a senior member, and a site team member, it happens so easily.

Towing calculators if you do an internet search you will likely find some, some work well other not so well.

I think fitting an existing TV to a new trailer is much easier than fitting a new TV to existing trailer.

Worse yet is new TV to new trailer, due to the many unknowns.

One thing I read many times with those ordering new TV, especially new trucks, is that once the order is completed the dealer can't provide what the trucks payload will be.

Manufactures should be able to calculate what the effect of different options will be on total payload as the vehicle is ordered.
Sorry

Tags
tow