Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2022, 12:55 PM   #21
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJ View Post
Weldon are you using the borax and dawn every time you dump like pods or just when it needs a good cleaning.
I think i will try this.
I use the pods when we camp. I use the borax method on the trip from home to the campground (only 5 to 10 gallons ), and the dump when the tank gets 2/3 full or more. Full disclosure, I started this to PREVENT our toilet from smelling. Thankfully it has worked. Good luck
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:52 AM   #22
JReinhart

It is probably not your toilet or a black tank issue. Under your sink is what is called an air admittance valve. I had the same problem with my trailer last year. I changed mine and the smell went away.

Yes I know that the sink goes to grey but they do tie in together under the trailer. Most people (myself included) tend to leave the grey tank valves open when connected to sewer.

As a plumber of 25 years I say start there since it hasn't been an issue for the whole time you had the trailer.

Here is a link to what I'm talking about:

https://www.rona.ca/en/product/oatey-sure-vent-air-admission-valve-39018c-11205151?viewStore=66550&cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp= 11296783805&cq_con=114398803321&cq_term=&cq_med=&c q_plac=&cq_net=u&cq_pos=&cq_plt=gp&&cm_mmc=paid_se arch-_-google-_-aw_smart_shopping_generic_plumbing-_-71700000074019633&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1ZeUBhDyARIsAOzAqQ I4rOejCsquHKf8c33x8_T14KO9VUzy3se1urToADWdhjxUEQlH uwoaAiP6EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
JReinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:00 AM   #23
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJ View Post
We are having problems with the black tank smelling after a few days. We flush at the end of every trip, and every time are are at full hook up.
We have been use in the orange Campo pods and have tried others, but after a few days it starts to smell. This problem just started a few months ago, for the first 2 or so years on our 2019 Outback no problems. Do any of the others brands work any better, or even the liquids treatments?
If you have no leaks in your system, try the “Unique Digest-it” brand of tank treatment. This is a live microbial treatment that literally eats poo and TP. It keeps your tank clean and odorless. I have been using it for a few years now. NO need to flush your tanks unless you are putting your RV into long term storage like over the winter months. It tells you not to flush your tank and why is in the instructions. Once you dump, add more treatment per instructions and add about 4 gal water back into your tank. Done! You can get this product at Amazon, Walmart. And other places. Google it and you will find other retailers. This stuff also keeps your tank level probes clean and makes them as accurate as they can be. Hope this helps. Happy camping!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:47 AM   #24
SC GT Yellow Jacket

Enzymes work best

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
You might try one of the enzyme type tank treatments. We converted a number of years ago and have had much better results. With two of us, I normally dump the black tank once a week, but it’s about 50 gallons, so a smaller tank might need dumping a couple times a week.
I agree with Bob Becky. We used pods and liquid "perfume" the first year, then switched to enzyme treatments. The enzymes eat the material that would cause the smell, so there is no smell. Works great for us. Definitely have to empty from full tanks and flush as often as possible. But with the enzymes we don't see anything but liquid when we drain the black tank. No brown blobs like we saw before switching. No paper scraps either. It eats it all.
SC GT Yellow Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 04:43 AM   #25
Tomm

So our first few trips no smell, now we get a smell when we flush but it seems to be in the bedroom more than the bathroom. We have a 2022 30RIPR. I've flushed it out a few times and use the 5 gallon bucket with pod method.
Figured I would piggyback on this thread seeing some good advice. Thanks! Tom
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 05:36 AM   #26
ChuckS

I don’t use any chemicals in the black or gray tanks. No reason to ..never had any odors on current rv for the last 9 years..

If the toilet bowl is filled with an inch or so of water no odors can back up thru the toilet bowl out into the inside

The roof vent shouldn’t be drawing odor into the bathroom either ..at least I’ve never experienced this

I would take a long look at the “Anti Siphon” valve for the black tank flush and verify odor isn’t coming form that.usually located under the BR sink up high

If that is good then check the toilet bowl seal

I don’t used the so called built in black tank flush.. it’s a small plastic button with a few holes in it.it will be coming coated with residue from inside the tank over time

I backflush my black and gray tanks using the King flush adapter..never any issues keeping the tanks clean..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:52 AM   #27
Tomm

Ok a follow up. So if our front ac is on when we flush you can smell the toilet. If it is off you don't smell it.
Keystone Bullet Premier 30RIPI
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:52 PM   #28
travelin texans

I tried the Flush King, but the drain on my black tank had 2-90 degree bends in the 1st 18" from the hose connection then another entering the tank, worked great for flushing out the hose, but got very little if anything into the tank itself, definitely not any kind of flushing or rinsing. If the drain is a straight shot into the black it would be far better than the built in tank flush.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet