Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
gomerbubba

Converter/battery issue?

I have a 2011 Cougar SRX. The lights are dimming and flickering and the A/C and TVs shut off from time to time. Is this a converter problem or battery problem?
Also where is the converter located? (Behind the fuse panel?)

Thanks,
GB
gomerbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
f6bits

The A/C and TV have practically nothing to do with the converter or battery. Both of those (converter and battery) are 12V systems, while A/C and TV are the full 110 volts. The converter is usually part of the breaker box, but I’m not so sure on the SRX.

Is this happening at a campground? It’s a good idea to use a line monitor to make sure you’re getting good power:
http://www.trci.net/products/surge-guard

EDIT

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
SteveC7010

The WFCO or other converter is usually near the fuse panel if not right behind it. In our Cougar, you have to remove a wooden panel at the bottom of a cabinet to get at the WFCO while the fuse panel is at the top of the same cabinet near the ceiling. The main control panel with tank gauges, slide controls, some lighting controls is in the same cabinet.

Everybody's Keystones seem to be a bit different but they still have a lot of similarities. If you know where the fuse panel is located, listen for a very faint hum nearby when the trailer is plugged into shore power. The very faint hum will likely be the transformer in the converter. A louder hum is more likely to be the cooling fan on the converter.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
outbackmac

converter

AC could be flickering if you loose 12 volts to t,stat, check fuses on converter i had the same issue
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
gomerbubba

converter

I just called Keystone. They said it is located behind the fuse panel. It is making a rather loud sound when the lights dim. I am going to check it and the battery after work. Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
gomerbubba

converter

I replaced the converter (behind the fuse panel). After narrowing it down by disconnecting the battery and noticing the drop in voltage after about an hour. The fan quit and the unit was very hot.
Replaced the converter and it worked great for over 2 hours without the battery. Will check on it later today to verify.

Thanks all.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

I bet you got it. the converter is part of the a/c system not like what one fellow said, if it was not hookedup to a/c how would it charge the battery? and if it is bad it could over heat and put a hi load on the system andmake the lights flicker. hope it's fixed soyou can have fun!!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
f6bits

I meant the Air Conditioning (A/C), not AC Power. I still don’t see the connection between the converter and the television set.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote