Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2021, 01:34 PM   #1
revrusty

Buy quality blue def

I just want to give a heads up to others who may be as ignorant as I have been about blue def quality. I have assumed that as long as it says 100 per cent blue def that the brand did not matter. In fact I have often filled the blue def tank at truck stops. Now my truck is in the shop because of crystals forming and stopping up the blue def system. Been a week as they took out the tank and injector and other parts. The diesel shop mechanic says that they have had tractor trailer trucks cut off while idling overnight after filling def tanks at truck stops. I had noticed the white crystals around the dispenser nozzle but didn't have the knowledge to know it was a problem. NOW I know the hard way.
Anyway. just a heads up to others like me that don't know any better. I don't know if we are allowed to mention a brand but if we can let me know and I will tell you the brand my mechanic recommends. He says they have never seen a problem when using this particular brand. Thanks for listening and hope this can help someone else avoid my problem.

2021 Ram 3500 megacab w/ cummins 6.7HO, SRW
Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
revrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #2
bobbecky

You already made reference to the brand when you said BLUE def. The basic product is called def (diesel exhaust fluid), and the blue is part of the brand name. I’ve never had a problem with the fluid, although since purchasing the truck, I think I’ve almost exclusively used the Blue brand.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:04 PM   #3
revrusty

Well that just further demonstrates my ignorance on the topic. However, the type of blue def that has been recommended to me is by Peak. I see a lot of blue def products by other companies and I don't know what is in the tank at Pilot truck stop, it says blue def, I think. Anyway I am certainly no authority but if I ever get my truck back in service I will only use the one my mechanic is recommending.

Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
Old 02-10-2021, 03:18 PM   #4
Badbart56

I put about 200K miles a year on my semi truck and have never had any issue with DEF. I probably go through 5 to 8 gallons per day. And for my F350 I've used Walmart DEF and never had any problems with that either. The white crystals you speak of are present in all DEF. The only issues I'm aware of is when someone gets the idea that they can add water to the DEF to try to get more mileage out of it. There are sensors that can detect this and they will shut the truck down if the mix is modified. It will also shut down if the sensor goes bad, I have experienced that. As long as it's API certified it's good, and believe me, if a company tried to sell some that wasn't and truckers had breakdowns because of it, they would be sued and blacklisted.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:31 PM   #5
revrusty

I can assure you that I have NEVER added anything to the def. Again, I am only sharing what happened to me, they have 2 other pickups at that shop right now with def problems of some sort. I am certain that the occurrence is rare or there would be more awareness as you say and I have trucker friends who have also had no problem.

I did also hear from a friend that owns a construction company that they had problems with their 2 newer bulldozers that require def. Crystals stopping up injectors. They now meticulously clean the nozzle every time try to avoid the crystals that form there.

One other thing that the mechanic told me was that for trucks that get little use, the def can form the crystals in the tank more often. They told me to try to drive my truck at least an hour a week to help that problem. I should have mentioned that my TV often sits for a week or two without being cranked. It is not our daily vehicle.

Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
Old 02-10-2021, 03:39 PM   #6
notanlines

Rusty, you don't seem to be catching on to Bob's comment that Blue DEF is a particular brand, a good brand I might add. DEF is simply that, DEF. "Diesel Exhaust Fluid."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:28 PM   #7
Laredo Tugger

I have never used enough DEF to fill out of the truck stop pumps. I have always used the aforementioned color coded product and had no problems. I usually throw 2 boxes in my TV if I am going to tow on a trip and keep one on hand for in between trips. Never had any problems with the fuel system, I do not commute daily in my truck but I do drive it 2-3 times a week for various reasons.
While we are on (topic) diesel exhaust systems, I was reading about an uptick in catalytic converter thefts. Evidently as the rest of the world has decided they want to do their part for clean air the demand for these parts and metals has skyrocketed as well as the price.
Does the modern day exhaust system on our tow vehicles have these components in the DEF system or are they completely different designs (because they are diesel)? The article did mention lifted 4X4 trucks were easier targets than conventional height vehicles. Guess I will just tie the neighbors mean dog to my truck every night?
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:47 PM   #8
dutchmensport

I have never used DEF at any truck stop, because I just don't stop at truck stops. The only Truck Stop I'll stop at is the I-80 Truck Stop on Interstate 80 in Iowa. It's clean (and busy).

I use Wall Mart Blue DEF and never had any problems. Wall Mart sells another brand, but I will not use it at all. Why? Because the cap is not sealed. Blue DEF comes in a box, the cap is sealed, and you know its not been watered down. I spent too much $$$$ on my truck to take risky chances using a brand that's a little cheaper, and run the risk it's been tainted. Just like medicines, if the cap seal is not sealed, don't use it.

I have no clue what is being sold at truck stops. But the few I've been to, if the oil and grease and spilled gasoline all over everywhere is any indication of what's going on with the DEF, I'll just keep getting mine from Wall Mart and pay a little extra.

My truck is paid for. I'm in no hurry to go in debt for another one because I cheap-ed out a couple bucks and it ended up costing me thousands.

The above poster makes a good point though.... if the DEF sold at truck stops is not good, truckers would be throwing fits.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:56 PM   #9
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Wall Mart sells another brand, but I will not use it at all. Why? Because the cap is not sealed.
The Walmart house brand (Super Tech) does have a seal under the cap. If it doesn't, return it and get your money back. Do that for any brand actually. What that means is that someone may have used the DEF and filled the container with water and returned it to the store for a refund. It happens.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:07 PM   #10
BigBobIa

Buy quality blue def

Does anybody use truck stop DEF? I have because it is easier, just insert nozzle and pull handle, and cheaper and I assumed DEF is DEF. open to being convinced not too.

Only 4500 miles on ram 2500 and just filled 2nd time today.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:13 PM   #11
JDDilly

I have a 2018 RAM 3500 and always fill at truck stops. It is easy when the DEF is at a 1/4 tank and I need fuel, one stop for both. I have 35000 mikes on this truck and had 160000 on my past 2500, never a problem.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:32 PM   #12
BigBobIa

Can DEF freeze? Gauge read quarter tank. Added 4+ gallons and gauge did not move driving 5 miles home. High around +10°f today. (-11° this morning)
Old 02-10-2021, 05:47 PM   #13
gearhead

There are a lot of urban legends about DEF. API approved DEF is DEF. SuperTech or Blue DEF. SuperTech is almost half price. I'm thinking truck stop DEF is even cheaper. I've used all of them.
Some of the biggest BS spreaders are mechanics.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:51 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobIa View Post
Can DEF freeze? Gauge read quarter tank. Added 4+ gallons and gauge did not move driving 5 miles home. High around +10°f today. (-11° this morning)
Yes, DEF will freeze. There is a thermostatically controlled DEF heater right next to the DEF pump (in the DEF tank). When you start the truck, if it's cold enough, the DEF heater turns on and defrosts the DEF near the pump. If the truck goes into a regeneration, the heater will turn on and stay on to keep the pump supplied with "liquid DEF".

I'm not sure what kind of fluid level system RAM uses. Ford uses a device with 4 rods of varying lengths, as the DEF rises, the rods sense the level. It's "sort of like the sensors in the black tank"... Hopefully, more accurate... Mine has been OK for 6 years now with no problems.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:51 PM   #15
gearhead

quote:
I did also hear from a friend that owns a construction company that they had problems with their 2 newer bulldozers that require def. Crystals stopping up injectors. They now meticulously clean the nozzle every time try to avoid the crystals that form there.

So they pull the injectors every time before they start them to clean them?
Tell us more.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:58 PM   #16
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrusty View Post
I can assure you that I have NEVER added anything to the def. Again, I am only sharing what happened to me, they have 2 other pickups at that shop right now with def problems of some sort. I am certain that the occurrence is rare or there would be more awareness as you say and I have trucker friends who have also had no problem.

One other thing that the mechanic told me was that for trucks that get little use, the def can form the crystals in the tank more often. They told me to try to drive my truck at least an hour a week to help that problem. I should have mentioned that my TV often sits for a week or two without being cranked. It is not our daily vehicle.
Was there a problem that caused you to take it for service? Or did they find that mysteriously when changing the oil for you or some other routine maintenance.... I’ve never heard of that before but the fact they have several other trucks in for same thing seems a little fishy to me ... maybe that’s a how they make extra money..probably not but I would be looking for second opinion if it wasn’t covered under warranty
Old 02-10-2021, 06:25 PM   #17
revrusty

OK. let me first say AGAIN, that I claim no expertise on the subject. I want to make it clear that I am relating information as it as been shared with me. I brought the truck in because the check engine light came on. The code said there was a problem in the def system. I also want to say that I live on a farm near a small town . The diesel repair shop I am using is well known to me and has an excellent reputation.
For further clarification, the check engine light came on while traveling a few hundred miles on my next to last camping trip. It actually went off a couple days after returning home and I just forgot about it. It came on again on my last trip of the season while again pulling our camper. This time I got it checked while the light was still on.

So as others have already wrote, I see blue def available from various sources. The diesel shop owner, who owns several pickups and tow trucks, said that he had experienced some issues in the past and had not had any since switching to Peak brand blue def.

As always, I am finding this forum to be a wonderful source of knowledge and opinion. Thanks for all the input. It is my thinking that my problem is somewhat related to so much down time with the truck not even running for a couple weeks at a time. I hope to solve this part by taking the TT out more often!!

Thanks again everyone and keep the info flowing.

Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
Old 02-10-2021, 06:32 PM   #18
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrusty View Post
OK. let me first say AGAIN, that I claim no expertise on the subject. I want to make it clear that I am relating information as it as been shared with me. I brought the truck in because the check engine light came on. The code said there was a problem in the def system. I also want to say that I live on a farm near a small town . The diesel repair shop I am using is well known to me and has an excellent reputation.
For further clarification, the check engine light came on while traveling a few hundred miles on my next to last camping trip. It actually went off a couple days after returning home and I just forgot about it. It came on again on my last trip of the season while again pulling our camper. This time I got it checked while the light was still on.

So as others have already wrote, I see blue def available from various sources. The diesel shop owner, who owns several pickups and tow trucks, said that he had experienced some issues in the past and had not had any since switching to Peak brand blue def.

As always, I am finding this forum to be a wonderful source of knowledge and opinion. Thanks for all the input. It is my thinking that my problem is somewhat related to so much down time with the truck not even running for a couple weeks at a time. I hope to solve this part by taking the TT out more often!!

Thanks again everyone and keep the info flowing.
Good luck and happy camping! Yeah it isn’t good to let anything mechanical sit too long without running or driving it...im sure your service guy is ok I just try and look at all angles
Old 02-10-2021, 07:47 PM   #19
Ken / Claudia

I guess I am confused, in store DEF products come from about 12 different companies. Only 1 is named Blue DEF that I am aware of. All of the DEF pump handles at truck stops are Blue that I have seen. But what brand does a or any of the truck stops sell from the pumps at truck stops? I have only filled DEF once at a truck stop and I do not remember if there was or was not a brand label on the pump.
My pickup is a driveway queen and sits for weeks and longer, only owned it for 2 years so far no fuel or DEF issues. Mileage is right at 100,000.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:29 PM   #20
travelin texans

My last GMC had 138k miles with DEF used from truck stops all across the country & from jugs of whatever was the cheapest brand from whatever store it was purchased at with never a DEF quality issue.
DEF does have a shelf life & you should find a date stamp on the jug similar to a gallon of milk, always buy the freshest. As was already mentioned if whatever brand you buy isn't sealed return it, DO NOT USE an unsealed jug.
DEF will freeze. It's 68% deionized water & 32% urea (yea piss). If it happens to get into the fuel system your truck will run for about 15 seconds.
As for plugged injectors it shouldn't be plural, DEF is pumped through 1 injector, completely separate of the fuel system, directly into the exhaust.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality