Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2019, 03:31 PM   #81
INTERCEPTOR

Just fyi, GCWR is based on weight ratings, not actual weight. Insurance looks at the rating.

Also, your 4100+ payload is a pipedream. Yes the Ram payload charts give nice numbers. My 2020 Rams 3500 Laramie based on Rams payload chart is 4330lbs... However my door sticker is under 3600lbs. So don't base it off that chart. The chart is for a truck with no options or extras.
INTERCEPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #82
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTERCEPTOR View Post
Just fyi, GCWR is based on weight ratings, not actual weight. Insurance looks at the rating.

Also, your 4100+ payload is a pipedream. Yes the Ram payload charts give nice numbers. My 2020 Rams 3500 Laramie based on Rams payload chart is 4330lbs... However my door sticker is under 3600lbs. So don't base it off that chart. The chart is for a truck with no options or extras.
Not really so. I've looked at numerous 3500 Rams with payloads in the 4200lb range so not really a "pipedream". Maybe not YOUR 3500, but 3500s none the less....CC, SWB, lots of adds to a Tradesman pkg. to make them more like the nicer trucks. I intend to get a Big Horn. Laramie chews a big chunk off payload with stuff I don't want or need. I'm comfortable; I will fit any trailer to what I have. That's what is nice about where we are; I can buy the truck I want and "fit" the trailer to it since we aren't strapped into any particular trailer or type because we're...."flexible".

As far as insurance refusing a claim based on ratings vs an actual weight slip? I'm comfortable with that fight as well if it arose, but I don't anticipate it.

Edit: I will say that there is a large probability that by the time I can find a truck to buy the payload may well be under 4k but I'm good with that and actually figure it will happen.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:12 PM   #83
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Another update although disappointing. Had the build sheet done, numbers tentatively approved and they wanted to verify the employee pricing. Looks like a no go. The plan doesn't have "total" protection or something like that per the lady at FCA I talked to. Whatever you buy has to be in your hands by 1/2/20, not ordered. The dealer said they thought with the order placed as "sold" it would suffice but apparently not. They are waiting for word back from their Chrysler rep to confirm. Maybe it IS time to fly to Idaho
I am sorry to hear that Danny. But that does confirm my initial suspicion. Ha, if there is that one in Idaho still available you may look into it. The pricing plus the other discounts make it worth it.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:26 PM   #84
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
I am sorry to hear that Danny. But that does confirm my initial suspicion. Ha, if there is that one in Idaho still available you may look into it. The pricing plus the other discounts make it worth it.

Well, the saga continues. They couldn't find anything that was close to what I wanted in the 3500. Now the new order falls out so I asked them if there was any option before I went back and got one in TX. Got a Laramie (don't want one) option sent to me this evening from another dealer that will have to be sent in. Didn't want a Laramie but it checks virtually all of my boxes at a premium of 6k extra and the lack of side steps. Maybe this one will work. The money isn't an issue it's just the principle; I will buy it if they just don't go dumb on making a deal.

And as one poster noted; Yes, I'm sure my payload will go down...but I can adjust to that.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:02 PM   #85
Wyldfire

So I have to ask. Have you even looked at the 3500 diseals? I was looking at their website tonight and was shocked to see diseals priced less the 50,000. It didn't seem like gasers were any cheaper.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:34 PM   #86
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post
So I have to ask. Have you even looked at the 3500 diseals? I was looking at their website tonight and was shocked to see diseals priced less the 50,000. It didn't seem like gasers were any cheaper.

Oh yes, I've looked at diesels until my eyes bleed. My issue is price vs need. A diesel just doesn't work for me. Money isn't an issue, I just can't justify, in my mind, the price of a diesel for no more than it will give me in real life. I know many think the diesel is the pinnacle of "being able to have it"; not to me. If you need it get it, if you don't I don't think anyone should feel like they are "cutting themselves short" because they didn't choose to get one. Sort of like I buy a Toyota 4runner vs a Lexus GL 470? Why? Doesn't do a thing for me and what I need from the vehicle vs being able to say "it's a Lexus" means nothing to me unless it's has a function for me. But, I've not seen a Ram like I want, with a diesel, less than 65-70k - to me, it's a truck, not a statement.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:54 PM   #87
Wyldfire

I understand that. I have a Ford diesel because I need it here in Idaho. Driving a fully loaded pickup, pulling a trailer up long climbs on forest service roads to 10,000+ feet almost mandates a diesel. Also makes it a lot safer and easier to come back down with exhaust brake.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:27 PM   #88
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post
I understand that. I have a Ford diesel because I need it here in Idaho. Driving a fully loaded pickup, pulling a trailer up long climbs on forest service roads to 10,000+ feet almost mandates a diesel. Also makes it a lot safer and easier to come back down with exhaust brake.

Got it and I agree if you are using it all the time. I have a vacation home at 9k elevation and I've never had any issue using the 6.4, 3.73 getting up or down. I figure, having owned them, the 4.10 will be even better. I will agree that the exhaust brake is a nice feature but I've never had an issue with a gas engine in the mountains if you know what you are doing and manage the situation.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:46 PM   #89
Badbart56

Many folks that never had a diesel don't want one for various reasons. My last gas powered truck was a 1989 C2500 that ran like a race car when it wasn't pulling anything. The 5 speed transmission was fun to drive but I had a tractor business back then and when I loaded the gooseneck trailer with the Massey Ferguson and some equipment, it was quite the dog. there wasn't much else to choose from back then. The Chevy 6.2 and Ford 6.9 were not a lot better than a big block gasser.

My Dad bought an F350 Powerstroke in 96 and let me use it for a week. OMG! It was a towing beast! But DANG it was noisy! I bought a 97 F350 the next year. In 98 I bought a Chevy C2500 6.5 TD. I passed on the 6.0's and the 6.4 Ford's. Dodge stuck with Cummins and it proved to be one of the most reliable high mileage power plants. The 7.3 Navistar that Ford sold in their pickups was a close second. Duramax/Allison proved to be a great combination. Ford finally built their own diesel and it has proven itself to be very strong and reliable along with their 6 speed transmission.

With all the diesels I've owned over the years I may have just been lucky, but I have never had any major failures and regular maintenance never seemed all that expensive. Glad they made all the noise go away, although you definitely know you're in a TRUCK when you hear that old 7.3 loping! Yeah, the diesel option cost more. and just driving my F350 around town....it's not all that impressive. I mean it's a truck. A big old honkin truck. But hook up to my Fusion 405 or my 46 foot flatbed trailer with a bulldozer on it and you understand. This truck is capable! Overkill for most of your daily needs? Probably. But I don't see myself owning a gasser again. Make no mistake, it's not an ego thing. The same logic I use in carrying a firearm applies here. I'd much rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it. I like them. They're powerful. And I can afford one. So that's what I drive. I like diesels. Your mileage may vary. That I understand. But if you have any doubt....

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:19 PM   #90
sourdough
Site Team

Jeff, I truly appreciate your thoughts and insight....and I really like your "interests" listed on your personal profile.

In your case I totally understand the diesel and would have one myself. If I needed one I would get it and deal with any associated problems they presented. I've read enough horror stories of the failures and costs they can bring that I just have an extremely difficult time convincing myself to get one and possibly incur those costs when I'll use (need) it for 5k miles a year - and even then I won't NEED it, I would just have it. I won't be pulling a large 5th wheel no matter what; we don't want one. I will however agree that they are pulling monsters and feel really stout. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:07 PM   #91
Big1

I would definitely go gas, I had a 2016 2500 6.4L Hemi with the 4.10 gears, my payload was like 3k and my towing was like 15,000+ something and the newer one is probably
more towing now. It's just you are going to have high rpm that is normal for gas, if you can I would try to go with the 4.10 gears I had to order mines that way.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:29 PM   #92
sourdough
Site Team

An update; going with the Laramie. They had to go get it and it will be here this evening. Going in tomorrow and sign papers and give it a once over. Will take possession Monday after they get the side steps installed. Did not want a Laramie with all the bells and whistles (leather, all kinds of doo dads, 12" nav screen, etc. etc. etc.) because it chews up too much payload with things I won't use. But......here we are. I had hoped for a payload in the 4k range but as a previous poster noted, it will probably be less. I'll know tomorrow. And, it's flame red just like my current truck so I'll never know I changed.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #93
Gegrad

Quote:
An update; going with the Laramie. They had to go get it and it will be here this evening. Going in tomorrow and sign papers and give it a once over. Will take possession Monday after they get the side steps installed. Did not want a Laramie with all the bells and whistles (leather, all kinds of doo dads, 12" nav screen, etc. etc. etc.) because it chews up too much payload with things I won't use. But......here we are. I had hoped for a payload in the 4k range but as a previous poster noted, it will probably be less. I'll know tomorrow. And, it's flame red just like my current truck so I'll never know I changed.

Sounds good Danny, that color is awesome. Congrats! Doesn't the Laramie automatically have leather and such? I know the huge 12" screen is an option, so no worries there. You'll have to let us know what the payload ends up at. And some pics!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:37 PM   #94
Snoking

Quote:

Congrads: We want pictures at some point!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture post.gif
Views:	92
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	24727  
Old 12-28-2019, 03:43 PM   #95
chuckster57
Site Team

Congrats!!! Been a long journey, hope the good memories are longer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:18 PM   #96
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Sounds good Danny, that color is awesome. Congrats! Doesn't the Laramie automatically have leather and such? I know the huge 12" screen is an option, so no worries there. You'll have to let us know what the payload ends up at. And some pics!

Yes, the Laramie comes with leather. I would have never dreamed of spending 1995 for a 12" screen nav but that's all there was. At least it has the Alpine premium sound system I'll never use. It has heated and cooled seats which I would never choose in my truck but got them in my new 4Runner in October and DW loves them so what used to be a sticking point for both of us isn't so much anymore.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:33 PM   #97
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Congrats!!! Been a long journey, hope the good memories are longer.

Thanks Chuck, and yes, it has been a long journey. I have spent since summer looking for a 1 ton like I wanted. Casually looking at most places I went to, talked to some dealers/sales managers and it became clear to me that I wanted something they didn't like to stock. Got to FL and decided to nose around a little more then found out about the employee pricing - which was really good compared to most "end of the year" sales. That got me motivated to find something so I could take advantage of it. Found the same thing....it was going to be hard to find but finally got one that sort of close. I knew what I wanted to spend and what a truck like I wanted would cost and then all this. As I told DW and the sales manager, I guess I'm the only guy I know who would spend an extra 10k to save 2500 (over non employee pricing) . - BUT...I got employee pricing!!! Hoping the memories are good and long as well.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #98
flybouy
Site Team

Danny I hope have found the "right one for you". Enjoy that "new car smell" and most importantly have fun!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:56 PM   #99
JRTJH
Site Team

Congratulations, Danny. Here's hoping the memories you make with your new truck are some of the ones you smile about for years to come !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:13 PM   #100
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks guys. I'll post back with payload and pics after I get it. As far as being happy long term with it....I hope. I've been talking to a GM of a Ram dealership who is my friend and known me for years. He advised that I probably wouldn't like the ride of the 3500 because it was so harsh. What they do at his dealership is sell the 2500 and install Sumo springs to keep the ride soft. He said putting those on made it the same thing as a 1 ton...of course we had that conversation. Anyway that will be an unknown. Many have posted here and other places that they like the 1 ton and the ride doesn't change that much; others won't have one due to it but I'm not sure they ever had one....sort of like me with the 3/4 HD due to back pain. Now, having driven the newer ones AND having my gallbladder removed (where they found 7 large stones which removed 95% of my back pain) I'm thinking the 1 ton will be OK running 65psi unloaded and "Sumo Springs". We'll see.