Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2017, 08:25 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
Wow just checked the Montana lineup and they're all up there in pin weight. Not sure if i'd want to try that with a short bed srw, though I'm sure some do.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
No, I think that would fall into DRW territory for me. I was visiting with the service manager about what DW and I might be interested in and he insisted I look at the Montana. I like the Montana's, and if I was in the market for a DRW they would be on my list. I won't be getting a DRW so will look at something lighter if and when DW thinks a 5vr is something she wants to do. You've said you have a front living area in a Cougar and that may be something we could look at when the time comes. Thanks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:05 AM   #22
bsmith0404

It all depends on what the future holds in store for you. Personally, I towed a lot of miles and 2 different 5ers with a GM 6.5' bed without a slider with no issues, but I have seen some people with the rear corner of their truck cab crinckled. I always like the looks of a short bed, but when I went to the DRW that wasn't an option with GM, and I won't own another Dodge. What I have discovered, I love the 8' bed. It's not because I can haul sheet goods, which I do a lot, it's because I could install my auxiliary tank up front and still have a 6' bed left over. IMO the aux tank is the best mod I've made to this truck. I absolutely love the added range and the ability to fuel up in the evening without dragging the 5er through a gas station and having to worry about clearances. I don't have to use truck stops and can find the best prices on fuel in that area. Basically, I have a 6' bed for useable space and could get by with another one for towing a 5er, but I will never give up my aux tank.

My dad is in the same boat as you. An 8' bed will not fit in his garage and his truck will NEVER sit outside, especially in the Wisconsin winters. His truck also sits for long periods without being used, mine is a daily driver and I only have to worry about the NM sun. As for the DW driving it, her car was in the shop for a week after a rear ender. She had the option of a little car that my daughter drives or my truck. I drove the car for a week.

As for the diesel, I used to say never. I still do, but it has changed to I will never NOT own one.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:16 AM   #23
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
No, I think that would fall into DRW territory for me. I was visiting with the service manager about what DW and I might be interested in and he insisted I look at the Montana. I like the Montana's, and if I was in the market for a DRW they would be on my list. I won't be getting a DRW so will look at something lighter if and when DW thinks a 5vr is something she wants to do. You've said you have a front living area in a Cougar and that may be something we could look at when the time comes. Thanks.
You just need to drive a dually for a few days and face your fears... and as far as parking in a garage... that's for cars and lawn tractors, pickups park outside..
Old 03-20-2017, 05:01 AM   #24
bagged123

I went from a Chevy DBL cab with the 6.5 box, then a crew cab GMC 2500 duramax 6.5, and now a crew cab 8' bed 3500 dually, and yes before I bought it, I looked at them as boats, but now that I have one, I wouldn't go any smaller, I can carry plywood, mattresses, etc.in the bed with the tailgate up and covered with no problems. Now, I haven't towed my TT yet, but we're going to upgrade to a 5'er soon and I didn't want the issues with a short box and a slider. The 2 downsides with it so far, I'm a foot too long for my garage and in some parking lots, I take up to spots, because if I go line to line, I stick out some, so there are times I take 2 parking spots, but I park way out anyway so folks don't use my truck as a bump stop with their doors.
bagged123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:04 AM   #25
cardinal96ss

For what it's worth. Like you I never would consider a diesel or a long bed dually. That is until I had and still have a 2500 Dodge Ram short bed. I liked the power, but not the noise. For towing, I now have a '13 Chevy 3500 long bed dually. Chevy diesels are very quiet (go listen to one). While it took some getting used to to park it, for towing, I will never go back to gas, a short bed, or SRW.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #26
Tbos

My DW likes the long Bed DRW because it means I can't park in the garage and she now has it to herself.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #27
canesfan

I like my short (6-1/2') bed. It doesn't "fit" into a lot of parking spots either, but I park away and walk in parking lots anyway, even if it fits.

I have an auto slider so I don't have to worry about it. Only issue I ever had was when I scratched my front cap with my hard tonneau cover in an odd turning situation exiting a dump station. Maybe an 8' bed would have solved that.

My only issue is not the bed size, it is the hitch weight. So when I want to haul something I have to get creative. I don't haul stuff a lot, but I do some woodworking and am able to haul 10' boards with no problems. I have also gotten a mattress and box spring back there, with the hitch in place, and drove an hour on the interstate with no issues. I am serious about tying anything back there down though.

I don't want or need an 8' bed, and a dually is out of the question. If I were to go that far I would get a little Freightliner "toter". Wonder how the HOA would feel about that parked in the driveway?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #28
Dave W

The good ol' longbed vs shortbed dilemma along with SRW vs DRW and to add to the fun, diesel vs gas. And all in the same thread!! Love it

I've had most combos except a dually since 1977 and have to say that the current truck is the best combo so far. But with that said, it is at the limits of what I, personally, am comfortable driving with a 38 foot, 12,000 5er. I would be looking at a DRW if longer and/or heavier. The long bed will give you more driving stability and comfort, storage room and better 5er to cab turning clearance. It will also be a PITA in a tight parking lot, forcing you to often park in the back row and a nice walk (exercise!). I do have enough garage with 4" in the front and 2" in the back - a real plus, but only with an older house, ours is 46 years old, or a custom build as designers all seem to thing we drive 14 foot long econoboxes.

Get what you are comfortable with knowing that there are pluses and negatives with virtually any version
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:09 AM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
The good ol' longbed vs shortbed dilemma along with SRW vs DRW and to add to the fun, diesel vs gas. And all in the same thread!! Love it

I've had most combos except a dually since 1977 and have to say that the current truck is the best combo so far. But with that said, it is at the limits of what I, personally, am comfortable driving with a 38 foot, 12,000 5er. I would be looking at a DRW if longer and/or heavier. The long bed will give you more driving stability and comfort, storage room and better 5er to cab turning clearance. It will also be a PITA in a tight parking lot, forcing you to often park in the back row and a nice walk (exercise!). I do have enough garage with 4" in the front and 2" in the back - a real plus, but only with an older house, ours is 46 years old, or a custom build as designers all seem to thing we drive 14 foot long econoboxes.

Get what you are comfortable with knowing that there are pluses and negatives with virtually any version
"Get what you are comfortable with knowing that there are pluses and negatives with virtually any version "

I agree completely. What I'm trying to do is make sure I don't go buy a new truck (one ton), with diesel (which neither of us has ever wanted), for an upgrade to a possible 5vr and find that I've missed a crucial piece of the puzzle.

From what I've been able to research, and from folks on the forum, I think a SWB truck will pull a fifth wheel just fine; I'm just not familiar with all the inner workings of a fifth wheel hitch and don't want to foul it up.....or hear DW in my ear when I go get yet ANOTHER truck because I missed something on this one! My other consideration is the hitch weight and getting it in and out. I do have other things I like to do and I need a flat bed if not towing.....and I need something pretty light. After 6 surgeries on my right knee, 2 replacements, one removal for 3 months and the removal of a good portion of the leg bone, I can't contort and place a lot of pressure on it so I need something DW and I can move around without a cherry picker....or I guess I could go buy another one...but would rather not.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:45 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

With your comment about knee problems, I'd urge you to open a Ford F350 tailgate, unfold the "old fart step and dance pole" and see just how easy it is to climb into the bed. After that, start the truck, stand beside it and ask the salesman a question. That'll very likely convince you to seriously consider Ford.

Yup, I'm partial to Ford, but I don't own any stock that I'm aware of......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #31
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
With your comment about knee problems, I'd urge you to open a Ford F350 tailgate, unfold the "old fart step and dance pole" and see just how easy it is to climb into the bed. After that, start the truck, stand beside it and ask the salesman a question. That'll very likely convince you to seriously consider Ford.

Agreed, then start researching the Anderson Ultimate hitch. I believe it's under 70 lbs.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:55 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Agreed, then start researching the Anderson Ultimate hitch. I believe it's under 70 lbs.
If I'm not mistaken, the Anderson Ultimate attaches to the gooseneck ball? If so, are safety chains required? I'll freely admit I have ZERO experience with that hitch system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #33
larry337

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the Anderson Ultimate attaches to the gooseneck ball? If so, are safety chains required? I'll freely admit I have ZERO experience with that hitch system.
Me either, that's why I told HIM to research it LOL!

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

Gotcha.... Maybe someone who does own the hitch will chime in and give us all some "edumakation"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #35
larry337

One other must have option would be the extended running boards to reach the fifth wheel release handle.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 03-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
One other must have option would be the extended running boards to reach the fifth wheel release handle.

Super point!! I had not thought of that at all. I always get the running boards that cover the doors. Since DW and I are shorter, and seemingly getting shorter every day, these would be very handy for a process I never thought about.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #37
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Does the "old fart step and dance pole" come standard or is it an option? Sounds like a viable option. My neighbor had one on his last truck but I never really saw it deployed. It had a handle that always just stuck out of the bed which seemed odd to me. Is that the way they all are?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #38
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Does the "old fart step and dance pole" come standard or is it an option? Sounds like a viable option. My neighbor had one on his last truck but I never really saw it deployed. It had a handle that always just stuck out of the bed which seemed odd to me. Is that the way they all are?
An option on some trims, standard on others, and can be included in some packages. Requires some research into what trim level and options you want. Some higher trim packages include power folding running boards which would restrict you from getting the extended boards.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 03-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
An option on some trims, standard on others, and can be included in some packages. Requires some research into what trim level and options you want. Some higher trim packages include power folding running boards which would restrict you from getting the extended boards.

Thanks Larry. I have not spec'd a Ford because I quit buying them years ago. They always had the nicest interior but the drivetrain just wouldn't hold up. Looks like they've gotten better though.

One of my concerns about getting a diesel were the increased maintenance costs and problems they encounter. I was reviewing a breakdown of costs between the GM/Ford/Ram diesels (some website) and it appeared both the GM and Ford cost more, if not considerably more, to maintain than the Cummins. Does that bear out in your real life experiences (I believe I remember you own a Ford).
Old 03-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #40
Tbos

I was quoted $180 for a full synthetic Oil change on my 2016 diesel today. The every other oil change swap of both fuel filters was quoted at $285. Yes maintenance is expensive but I understand the extra capacity in towing is worth it. Those quotes were at a Ford dealer.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed