Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
socalhd

Tpms

These rigs should come standard with TPMS. I have the TireMinder system and very happy so far. Great peace of mind

2007 F350 Dually
2014 Fuzion FZ342
2015 Harley CVO Limited
socalhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Thumbs up

X2 Tire Minder monitoring 12 tires
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:42 AM   #3
Keywestparrothead

I have run them (Tire Minder) on the 5er for years, but recently went to a Dually w/out a TPMS system. Any issues with them on the Dually, valve stem or balance problem, etc? I want to get the TV covered as well. I added the range extender to the front storage area last year and it made a huge difference in reading the rear passenger tire on the 5er.

The only issue i have had is 2 of them, so far, have had the battery holder weld break on the transmitter. TM was great with the replacement, and I haven't had any issues with the new ones so far. Maybe I had a early bad batch and they have resolved it now?

2015 Ford F450 KR CC
2010 Montana 3750FL
------------------------
Previous addictions...
2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU
Keywestparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:48 AM   #4
bsmith0404

I have the TST system, haven't tried it on the dually, but have been thinking about it. Maybe I'll set it up today and see how it works. If all goes well, I'll have to buy a few more sensors.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:12 AM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

No issues todate (2 years). Range extender came with initial kit and was installed on the 4X4 electrical box located on the hitch pin

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 02-24-2015, 07:17 AM   #6
Keywestparrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
No issues todate (2 years). Range extender came with initial kit and was installed on the 4X4 electrical box located on the hitch pin
That's good to hear. I was mostly concerned with the extended length valve stems increasing the centrifugal force, as the tire spins, and causing issues with the base of the stem. Do you know how long your stems are or do you have them secured somehow to the wheel (I have seen dually valve stem extension kits that attach to the wheel/hub cap cover)?

2015 Ford F450 KR CC
2010 Montana 3750FL
------------------------
Previous addictions...
2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
Old 02-24-2015, 07:26 AM   #7
bsmith0404

Go with steel stems for starters. I have tried valve stem extensions and have given up on all of them with the exception of a 180 degree elbow on the outside dually to get the stem facing out. I got so frustrated with the different problems each type of extension caused. I finally removed the wheel incerts because they prevented me from being able to get my hand through to the back wheel. It doesn't look as nice, but it is much more functional. I tow 4-5 days a week so I'm constantly checking air pressure. If you don't check that often it may not be as big of an issue for you.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 02-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalhd View Post
These rigs should come standard with TPMS. I have the TireMinder system and very happy so far. Great peace of mind
This is just my opinion, yours may differ.... Maybe even significantly.....

While I agree with you "in theory" when put in "application terms" I'm not so sure I want the RV manufacturer adding a TPMS as "standard equipment". First, it will make the trailer cost more. Second, it will limit my ability to choose which system I want installed.

If you think about the tire situation we all currently face with "sub-standard" ST tires, at least with "sub-standard reputation" ST tires, do you really want Keystone to go to the "lowest bidder" to buy TPMS systems to install as a "you can't delete it" option? I don't. I'd rather be able to pick and choose the optional equipment, from stabilizer jacks, front landing gear, spare tire carriers, screen doors, awnings, awning lights, even the tail lights on our RV's are the "cheapest bidder" supplied equipment.

I'd prefer that Keystone stop "forcing me to buy cheap stuff" by putting it in the trailer's "MSRP" and making it a "no option option"... The latest is the Weber grill that's included with the Cougar.... Who ever heard of "dry camping" with an electric grill? Not to mention trying to fill the fresh water tank with the "deleted" water fill port?

I'm thinking if Keystone did start installing a TPMS, we'd all be paying for it, probably not liking it and taking it off to install a better system anyway. I've got enough "garage sale crap" sitting around, I don't need Keystone adding to the pile !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #9
Keywestparrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Go with steel stems for starters. I have tried valve stem extensions and have given up on all of them with the exception of a 180 degree elbow on the outside dually to get the stem facing out. I got so frustrated with the different problems each type of extension caused. I finally removed the wheel incerts because they prevented me from being able to get my hand through to the back wheel. It doesn't look as nice, but it is much more functional. I tow 4-5 days a week so I'm constantly checking air pressure. If you don't check that often it may not be as big of an issue for you.
Thanks Brent. My 2015 F450 came with 19.5 commercial grade tires and rims, so the valve stems are steel I just was curious if the extra length of the stems would cause an issue at the base or if i would need to secure them when I screw on the sensor? Any issues with the 180 and the sensor attached?

2015 Ford F450 KR CC
2010 Montana 3750FL
------------------------
Previous addictions...
2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
Old 02-24-2015, 11:17 AM   #10
Larry1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywestparrothead View Post
That's good to hear. I was mostly concerned with the extended length valve stems increasing the centrifugal force, as the tire spins, and causing issues with the base of the stem. Do you know how long your stems are or do you have them secured somehow to the wheel (I have seen dually valve stem extension kits that attach to the wheel/hub cap cover)?
I have the TireMinder TPMS on my dually with no problems. I did install the T valve extenders. I have about 7800 miles with them so far and no problems.

I did upgrade from the TMG400C to the newer TM66 TPMS system. The TM66 allows you to separate the truck and trailer so if you aren't towing, you can keep an eye on the truck tires without receiving No Sensor messages for the trailer senders.

If anyone is interested in the TMG400C with 4 sensors and booster, send me a pm. It is still works great as do the sensors.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #11
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Non scientific explanation, see as you get as old as I am this is expected from us. Yes I have heard stories about these extensions causing problems. So I chose to go half way, the inner dually has the valve stem extension that attaches to the wheel/hub cap cover. On the outer I choose to go with nothing not even the 180 due to concern of extra weight and leverage. Reasoning is I am only adding half the potential problems. Really nice feeling knowing that there are four tires on the back of the TV. Have no issues with screwing on the transmitter on these outers. Have to admit some what of a pain at times getting air in the outers. To be honest if I did not have the TPMS I would be more concerned about potential problems such as leakage with any extensions.

With the TPMS's real time measurements of tire pressure and temperature I will know if anything is going on. This TPMS system has saved me once already and would not want to go on the road with out it !!!

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 02-24-2015, 04:18 PM   #12
socalhd

My valve stems on the rear of my dually are another issue I have to deal with. I need to purchase and have installed longer stems for the inner duals. Right now I am only monitoring the 5er
My rig is at the dealer right now and I remembered to take the TM parts off before leaving it
Too bad no one has designed a simple transmitter for inner duals. One that would extend the valve stem and would allow filling

2007 F350 Dually
2014 Fuzion FZ342
2015 Harley CVO Limited
socalhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:28 PM   #13
raineman

Quote:
I have the TST system, haven't tried it on the dually, but have been thinking about it. Maybe I'll set it up today and see how it works. If all goes well, I'll have to buy a few more sensors.

I just ordered the TST 507RV for the toyhauler. How do you like your TST? Which model do you have? Did you need a repeater? Thanks
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:11 AM   #14
bsmith0404

I just added the TPMS to the dually, the only issue I had with the 180 stems on the outer wheel is the added weight will turn the stem if it you don't have it tightened real good. Definitely needed to crank it down with a wrench.

I have the TST 507 with the standard sensors. I considered getting the flow through ones, but heard/read about some issues they were having at the time so I decided not to go with them. I do not have a repeater. I have a crew cab dually with 8' bed and a 40' 5er, so my set up doesn't get much longer, I will lose a signal on a wheel every now and then, but it typically only lasts a few seconds and it regains it. It doesn't happen often so I'm not concerned about it. Might become more significant as the batteries fade, but that would be a good time to change them. I would rather deal with that than add the repeater with yet one more thing that could fail along with the additional expense.

I had two flats on the inner dually caused by stem extensions, that's why I finally gave up on them and just pulled the inserts out of the wheels so I could get to the inner stem. Very functional, just not as pretty. Although I did paint the wheels so they look nice, thinking about going old school and adding a trim ring. To be honest, with a good trucker's tire gauge and chuck it's very easy to check/adjust the air pressure as long as the wheels are clocked correctly. The hole spacing doesn't allow for them to be set exactly 180 out, every time I rotate tires, I always check my access to the back stem before tightening the lugs.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 03-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

I ordered the TST 507 non flo thru system (4 sensors) for the RV (should be here tomorrow). Talked to TST today and they confirmed that on the RV you did not need steel valve stems if the rubber ones were in good shape. They did say that their old system (510?) and the flo thru sensors would be better on metal stems because they weigh so much more than the 507 non flo thru. Just thought I would share.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #16
bsmith0404

Yeah, they told me the same thing they're wrong. Others have posted pics where the sensors rubbed on the rim. Mine started doing the same thing, I pulled them off until I got the steel stems installed. I have the same sensors as you and they will rub and leave a nasty mark on the rim. I caught mine before it was real noticeable.

BTW, I pulled the 180s off of my dually wheels. The weight of the sensor kept spinning them anyway and I don't really have a need to check the pressure when I can monitor it constantly

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 03-05-2015, 05:47 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks. My trailer is at the dealership for work and can't look at the valve stems...seemed they are pretty short. Did the centrifugal force just lay the stem over so the sensor rubbed? I had planned on getting the steel stems installed until I talked to TST this morning. Now I guess I'll have to take the time to get that done before we can leave for FL
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:56 AM   #18
jsmith948

Quote:
Yeah, they told me the same thing they're wrong. Others have posted pics where the sensors rubbed on the rim. Mine started doing the same thing, I pulled them off until I got the steel stems installed. I have the same sensors as you and they will rub and leave a nasty mark on the rim. I caught mine before it was real noticeable.

BTW, I pulled the 180s off of my dually wheels. The weight of the sensor kept spinning them anyway and I don't really have a need to check the pressure when I can monitor it constantly
I agree, you need metal stems. We didn't change out our valve stems at first. Spent a few days at our DS's property in WA. Was checking tire pressure in preparation of heading home and found two valve stems that would leak if pushed sideways. Local discount tire helped us out with all metal stems. No worries now

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #19
W.E.BGood

Here's some previous threads:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11217

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12449

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16000

Regards, BGood
W.E.BGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:11 PM   #20
bsmith0404

Yep, the force pushes them over and they rub, just like in the pics on the other threads.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE