Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
donnie_o8

antenna question

We have a Passport Grand Touring 3100rk. On the back of the trailer is the cable hook up for the tv. If I was to mount a tv outside can I run a cable to this cable hook up port and use the antenna on the roof of the trailer or will this not work this way?
donnie_o8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
BirchyBoy

Our non-Grand Touring Passport has a switch near the TV that I was told turned on the antenna amplifier. I suspect that this also is an A/B switch between the cable input and the antenna. Without some sort of switch, I think the TV would have two signals one some of the same channels.

Hopefully others will chime in and we'll both learn something!
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
B&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie_o8 View Post
We have a Passport Grand Touring 3100rk. On the back of the trailer is the cable hook up for the tv. If I was to mount a tv outside can I run a cable to this cable hook up port and use the antenna on the roof of the trailer or will this not work this way?
as wired, no it will not work -- turning the antenna amplifier on connects the antenna signal to the two television ports inside your tt and dis-connects the cable input from the rear of the tt. turning off the antenna amplifier dis-connects the tv antenna and connects the rear cable input to the two television ports.

It's possible (if you know how)to rewire the connections in the wall behind your TV using a signal splitter to send the Antenna signal to the outside cable connection but this will dis-able your ability to get a cable signal to your TV.

I have not tried this on mine but you can get a signal splitter and possibly snake a cable from your main tv port in the living area to the outside through the slide.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
donnie_o8

Thanks B&T....I was thinking about a splitter and trying to go straight down through the floor then over to the curb side of the trailer. I haven't yet looked under there but I'm sure it won't be easy because the holding tanks are close to that area. We just had snow again yesterday....still too cold to be crawling around under the trailer....maybe this weekend tho..
donnie_o8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie_o8 View Post
Thanks B&T....I was thinking about a splitter and trying to go straight down through the floor then over to the curb side of the trailer. I haven't yet looked under there but I'm sure it won't be easy because the holding tanks are close to that area. We just had snow again yesterday....still too cold to be crawling around under the trailer....maybe this weekend tho..
x2 needs to warm up so we can get things done. At least no white crap today
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote