Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2021, 02:12 PM   #1
Kaptn Krabby

Smile Time for new tires...

Well it's time to replace the tires on our 2019 Outback 260UML. The Trailer King RST 205/75/14 are only 3 to 4 years old and have only 2500 miles but not sure I am willing to push my luck since we have two big trips planned this fall. I am looking at Goodyear Endurance and Carlisle Radial Trail HD. I value the info and opinions of you guys on this forum, so, wuddaya think guys? The Goodyears are my go-to but I have heard good about Carlisle. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:28 PM   #2
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptn Krabby View Post
Well it's time to replace the tires on our 2019 Outback 260UML. The Trailer King RST 205/75/14 are only 3 to 4 years old and have only 2500 miles but not sure I am willing to push my luck since we have two big trips planned this fall. I am looking at Goodyear Endurance and Carlisle Radial Trail HD. I value the info and opinions of you guys on this forum, so, wuddaya think guys? The Goodyears are my go-to but I have heard good about Carlisle. Any info would be appreciated.
So far so good on my Carlisle HD's. We recently completed our second cross country trip with them and have had zero issues. They still look brand new.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:33 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

The Goodyear tire is 133 at Discount Tire and 87 for the Carlisle Radial Trail HD. I've not owned the GY Endurance so can't speak to them but I have owned the Carlisle and have nothing but good to say about them; not so the TKs which caused considerable damage to my last trailer.

Looks like the trailer came with LRD tires which should be enough for a 7600lb. gvw trailer at 2040 lbs. each. Whichever way you go IMO you are doing the right thing before taking out on some long trips. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:37 PM   #4
Gegrad

I have been running the Carlisle Radial Trail HDs for 4 years now, with no problems. Will probably replace in the spring as they will hit 5 yrs next may, though I am running 2 load ranges above my OEM tires, so I have tons of excess carrying capacity.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:38 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

We ran about 25,000 miles on our original Trailer Kings with even wear, 65 psi, and speeds under 65 mph. Based on the date codes, they aged out. We replaced them this spring with GY Endurance and after 6,000 miles on them so far this year they are doing great. The GY tires are a bit heavier and have stiffer sidewalls than the TK’s so a handling improvement was also noted. That’s my experience, YMMV
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:46 PM   #6
cw1001!

Carlisle at Walmart

Carlisle has pretty good reviews, made in the USA. Walmart has the best price on them by far on some sizes. I just purchase 225/75R/15 HD's (I think I got the size right). Most place $125+ up to $150 or so. Walmart was somewhere in the high $80's. Sorry numbers aren't exact but you get the idea. If you are going to put a Tire Monitoring System consider putting on metal tire steams while you are at changing the tires. I had to order them and I have to go back and have them change them over to the metal steams. So order yours ahead of time.
cw1001! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:37 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

I'm running the Carlisle and will replace them next year with the same. They will be 5 years old next spring. No issues and I feel they are a good value. I did go from the OEM load range D lto a load range E after confirming that the rims were rated for the increased air pressure. Mine are 225/75/15. Never had Goodyears since a set of Marathons years ago.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:30 AM   #8
Kaptn Krabby

How do i find this info for the wheel capacity? Also, I don't currently have TPMS, but am thinking about it in the future after we retire and are traveling more. Would it be a good idea to have metal stems installed when I get new tires? thanks
Old 09-01-2021, 06:10 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

I have the original steel wheels on my 2002 Cougar and went from Load Range D to E and my wheels have not exploded. I feel there is little harm going up one load range. Get the metal stems. There are a bunch of threads on TPMS. I originally was going to go with a system many folks recommend but like all things in the pandemic hysteria, they were out of stock for the foreseeable future. I suspect it is because they are made in China. I had my kids buy me a Guta TPMS system last Christmas and finally got around to install earlier this month and used it for the first time last weekend. Worked as it should without a repeater. We have a 28' fifth wheel and crew cab/8 ft. bed pickup. I haven't used the thing long enough to make some glowing recommendation. The instructions were too small for me to read and I ended up calling their customer support to make the install; the instructions were not great anyway.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:29 AM   #10
JDDilly

Since you are getting new tires, having new metal stems installed is a good idea. That way you can use the flow through sensors on the tires for the TPMS. I don't have the flow through, so not sure if there are any issues/concerns (others can chime in). I would also recommend getting a TPMS sooner rather then later, a tire failure can happen on short trips just as easy as on longer trips.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:56 AM   #11
Ken / Claudia

Actually take a min and read the date code of the tires to learn their age, do not guess. Just bend over or get on your knee's and read the date. If you do not know where or what that is ask. Either tire you listed is a good tire. If cost is a issue the Goodyear's normally are higher priced. Replace the spare tire also so you do not forget it and if needed in a year or 2 it will still be good. I have replaced spare tires that were never used on the trailers. Some say it was a waste. I say I was lucky and never needed it but it's still rotten after 5 years, why trust a old tire to get you home.
Even thou you are getting new tires, learn how to read the date. Record it in your RV maintenance and think about replacing them in 3 to 5 years from their age not mileage.
While you are getting new tires installed get full metal valve stems at around 10 bucks a wheel. Might as well have the tire shop balance them also. Balancing is not a must but for a few more dollars will not hurt anything and might make the trailer ride better.
Tires, wheel bearings and brakes are about the most over looked safety items. If the wheel bearings have not been inspected nor the brakes looked at, new tires is a great time to have all that done at once. No I do not work at a tire shop. Just pointing out the bigger picture.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:37 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptn Krabby View Post
How do i find this info for the wheel capacity? Also, I don't currently have TPMS, but am thinking about it in the future after we retire and are traveling more. Would it be a good idea to have metal stems installed when I get new tires? thanks
The wheels should be stamped on the back with max weight and psi ratings. mine are aluminum 15" Sendel To3 wheels and I confirmed it with them directly.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:12 AM   #13
Texas Steve

I just put on the Carlisle Trail HD on our trailer before our Colorado trip in June. They performed great with the exception of having a blowout on the way back around Abilene (road hazard). Bought them a Discount Tire and no problem with the replacement warranty. The do seem to ride very smooth and I did spend the extra for balance. Went up 1 load range from a C to a D on the 205/75R-14. My trailer is about 7150 pounds fully loaded. I believe they were $87 a tire then added stems, road hazard, and balance. Good tires in my opinion.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:31 AM   #14
cw1001!

Metal Tire Steams

Hey I just wanted to offer a heads up on something I almost learned the hard way on.

If you are putting metal tire stems on make sure you check the max cold tire pressure on them. I didn't think to check that when I ordered mine and when I went to have them put in the tire guy asked me if they were rated high enough.
Old 09-03-2021, 12:11 PM   #15
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw1001! View Post
Hey I just wanted to offer a heads up on something I almost learned the hard way on.

If you are putting metal tire stems on make sure you check the max cold tire pressure on them. I didn't think to check that when I ordered mine and when I went to have them put in the tire guy asked me if they were rated high enough.
That was the "tire guy's" responsibility. I would find a retailer with better qualified tire installers.

The TR-416 Metal Clamp in Valve Stem is a popular metal stem. They also can be purchased with 1 and 1/2" length and all are rated for 130 PSI
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 05:33 AM   #16
Campermike

I bought it trailer used and it had nearly new Carlisle tires on it. It's already been from Illinois to Colorado and then from Illinois to the Carolinas plus numerous other trips. I've been happy with them and based on what I hear about them I will buy them again once these age out.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:48 AM   #17
cw1001!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
That was the "tire guy's" responsibility. I would find a retailer with better qualified tire installers.

The TR-416 Metal Clamp in Valve Stem is a popular metal stem. They also can be purchased with 1 and 1/2" length and all are rated for 130 PSI
I purchased the valve steam somewhere else because they didn't have any where I bought my tires. The "tire guy" did do the responsible thing and asked what they were rated for. That is when I realized I didn't check before I bought them. My mistake for that. Honestly I didn't think to check because they were metal.

Hopefully this message will save someone from getting caught with ordering the wrong ones.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:06 AM   #18
precab

Carlisle Radial Trail HD

The Carlisle Radial's are rated #2 and have strong performance. I could not be more pleased with them.

I found them on amazon (only 6 months old on mfg date) even with local install at a local tire shop they were cheaper than Discount Tire as a heads up.
precab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:13 AM   #19
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'm running the Carlisle and will replace them next year with the same. They will be 5 years old next spring. No issues and I feel they are a good value. I did go from the OEM load range D lto a load range E after confirming that the rims were rated for the increased air pressure. Mine are 225/75/15. Never had Goodyears since a set of Marathons years ago.
Where did you get the Carlisle tires? And who did the mounting? If I may ask….if I can just bring my trailer to the dealer it would be easier
Old 09-09-2021, 07:15 AM   #20
jasin1

So when I have my tires balanced should I have them put the tpms sensors on it to more accurately reflect the wheel balance?

Sorry for hijacking

Tags
tires