Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2021, 09:55 AM   #81
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricker243 View Post
Modern Gas engines are nothing like engines from just a few years ago. Current gas engines in HD trucks have a lot more torque, more hp and better MPG.

Diesel owners are like vegetarians.... they really need to let you know it.

You know, at the campground, lots of diesel owners will drive by and make extra noise when going by a gas truck.
I think it’s because when anything in life is better then what we were used to it makes you want to tell someone about it.. if I go to a great campground I tell everyone I know how good it is.
Go to a great restaurant, I tell everyone
Movie? Same thing.
When you run into someone towing with a gas engine it is only natural to share your positive experience,it’s human nature

And I don’t think I EVER thought about reving my engine if I saw a gas truck at the campground or anywhere unless it was back in high school in 1984
Old 04-24-2021, 09:59 AM   #82
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I bought my first diesel in 1984 I ordered a F250HD 4x4 with the 6.9L IH and 4 speed manual. Man I was in hog heaven.. and I toyed with driving diesels from Ford and IH over the next few years until '94 when the new style Dodge Ram cam out with the Cummins and... boy was I hooked...

I was towing 10K to 15K equipment trailers all over the country running a crew making Ammonium polyphosphate with a portable pipe reactor and that truck was the best towing truck I'd owned. For the next four years I averaged 100K miles and a new truck every year.. In August of '98 I retired and changed careers again. I sold the diesel and started a vehicle spiral from the Durango to F150, back to an F250 diesel and finally back to the F350 dually.

All that was said to provide my Bona fides.... There is absolutely and I mean absolutely no comparison between the diesel pickups of yesterday and today... Not in longevity, not in power, not in load carrying, and not in fuel mileage.... Today's diesel pickups win every category, hands down.... well except for the Ram Bullwinkle Mirrors... that is just wrong
You had to go THERE??? !! Thanks Javi now I’m eying my mirrors suspiciously... just did a search on aftermarket telescoping mirrors..nope nothing that looks any better.
BUT I only use mine when towing..I have a neighbor with a Ram 1500 that added them and keeps em extended..have to pull over to pass him
Old 04-24-2021, 10:08 AM   #83
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I think it’s because when anything in life is better then what we were used to it makes you want to tell someone about it.. if I go to a great campground I tell everyone I know how good it is.
Go to a great restaurant, I tell everyone
Movie? Same thing.
When you run into someone towing with a gas engine is only natural to share your positive experience,it’s human nature

And I don’t think I EVER thought about reving my engine if I saw a gas truck at the campground or anywhere unless it was back in high school in 1984
Just the thought makes me want to buy another '94 Dodge and gut the muffler just to let the gasoline folks know that Rolling Coal is still cool.

I will say that a lot of things were better back before the 70's like hunting, fishing and most everything in Texas and then the Yankees and Californians started moving in and trying to make Texas into the very thing that they were trying to get away from.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:19 AM   #84
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
QUOTE;
well except for the Ram Bullwinkle Mirrors... that is just wrong ;QUOTE

Especially while not towing anything. I think they could take out pedestrians on the curb with those things.
Sorry Ram guys, but if not towing fold'em up!

Y'all come on now. Don't know if you're like me but those pesky cyclists that take the narrowest, congested 2 lane roads and stay there on the right hemming you in for who knows how long.....did you ever notice that those Bullwinkle mirrors are the perfect height for that funny looking helmet as you manage to squeeze by??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:25 AM   #85
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricker243 View Post
Modern Gas engines are nothing like engines from just a few years ago. Current gas engines in HD trucks have a lot more torque, more hp and better MPG.

Diesel owners are like vegetarians.... they really need to let you know it.

You know, at the campground, lots of diesel owners will drive by and make extra noise when going by a gas truck.
I will agree modern day gassers are better than a few years, but so are the diesels.
If towing heavy loads a gasser can't hold a candle to towing with a diesel.
As for making noise for anyone to hear, unless the owner has altered that diesel exhaust it will sound very little louder than a gasser, with no smell & no black smoke. In fact unless you look at the badge on the truck you most likely won't be able to tell it's a diesel passing by from the sound of smell.
If you don't want/like/feel you need a diesel don't get one!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 04:38 PM   #86
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
QUOTE;
well except for the Ram Bullwinkle Mirrors... that is just wrong ;QUOTE

Especially while not towing anything. I think they could take out pedestrians on the curb with those things.
Sorry Ram guys, but if not towing fold'em up!
I took a contract job mowing pipeline right of ways, they furnished the Kubota w/ the brush hog towed w/ a F350 SRW Ford 4x4 w/ the V10, that thing would pass everything on the highway except a gas station, if you saw a station you better stop & fill up as you may not make it to the next one. At 60-65 mph that thing got, on the flats, about 6 mpg, less if there were any hills, w/ a 26 gallon tank I spent a good bit of everyday looking for a gas station. They had a F350 dually but didn't want me to use it cause diesel cost about .40 more per gallon, DUH!
Well run all the time with the mirrors on our 2016 Ram 3500 DRW “Bullwinkled” all the time two reasons, first they line up better with the fenders, second the bullseye mirrors are then horizontal giving a better field of view.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:40 PM   #87
Bill-2020

Find a diesel yet Danny? My SIL ordered a new Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4 because there was nothing close to it on the lots - it's due to be delivered about the first week of May. I believe he ordered it late March, IIRC. Last he heard it had bypassed the US stops out of Canada for Mexico on a train, now it's turned back this way. Strange.

Regarding the KBB comments. Yes, the KBB values are very high for trade and personal sale - not a chance you'll find a dealer paying KBB values today like they did not long ago. My new 2020 F250 is worth more with 7K miles than I paid new. Anyone paying that would be a certified knucklehead. I have a Nikon 70-200 ED-IF 2.8 VR lens that was worth more used than I paid new when Nikon increased their prices across the board in the early to mid 2000's. 2007 I think it was? Trouble was, I couldn't replace it with the new version without going into debt because of the increase so I kept it. It's seen several D series bodies since then (they don't retain value as much).

At any rate - It'll be very interesting to see what happens with vehicle values over the long haul, Gas or Diesel.
Old 04-25-2021, 05:28 AM   #88
Rocketsled

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post

I ain't good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was! The "when I was a young pup stories" are starting to roll. Diesel envy is evident. The trucks from the good ol' days ain't squat compared to the Def burners. How many times will this topic need to be hammered into the ground? Do you diesel owners really drive by puny 1/2 ton gas trucks and "make extra noise"? The shame. Do ya'll think it is time we got back to discussing Trailer King tires yet?
Well if it weren’t for this and tires, WTF would we talk about?
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:31 AM   #89
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post

Well, Keystone quality problems, water leaks, changing furniture, the list goes on and on.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:33 AM   #90
Rocketsled

Nah, those are answered by the search engine...Tires an Motors are obviously the ONLY topics that are VIBRANT and ACTIVELY CHANGING daily...well, maybe Warranty claims. Batteries?
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:40 AM   #91
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post
It's a forum, and just like a circle of folks around a campfire, or a neighborhood blook party, or a church socia, there will ALWAYS be talk. Some folks will be shy and not talk either because they are shy or just nosey. Some folks will talk alot and not listen, those are typically the narcissistic "LOOK AT ME" and bragging about their latest conquest wether it be opposite sex, wealth, or material things. Some folks will just ask a question and look for an answer and fade back into the crowd. Some folks will purposely look to start trouble and will hang around and agitate until they do. Some folks will just "chit chat" to be social or to feel like they belong. Point I'm making in my typical long winded way is that "people will be people".
JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:50 AM   #92
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Find a diesel yet Danny? My SIL ordered a new Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4 because there was nothing close to it on the lots - it's due to be delivered about the first week of May. I believe he ordered it late March, IIRC. Last he heard it had bypassed the US stops out of Canada for Mexico on a train, now it's turned back this way. Strange.

Regarding the KBB comments. Yes, the KBB values are very high for trade and personal sale - not a chance you'll find a dealer paying KBB values today like they did not long ago. My new 2020 F250 is worth more with 7K miles than I paid new. Anyone paying that would be a certified knucklehead. I have a Nikon 70-200 ED-IF 2.8 VR lens that was worth more used than I paid new when Nikon increased their prices across the board in the early to mid 2000's. 2007 I think it was? Trouble was, I couldn't replace it with the new version without going into debt because of the increase so I kept it. It's seen several D series bodies since then (they don't retain value as much).

At any rate - It'll be very interesting to see what happens with vehicle values over the long haul, Gas or Diesel.

If referencing my post #4, no I haven't found a truck. I've basically put that on hold for exactly the reasons you state. Seems to me to be a losing proposition. Thought about calling a friend that the GM of a Ram dealership to see what kind of "deal" we could work but decided not to because I know what everyone else is doing, I'm not willing to pay those prices, and I know he wouldn't be able to cut pricing enough to make me happy so not going to bother him. I'm in good shape anyway so I'll just bide my time; this won't last forever.....I hope.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:30 AM   #93
Ken / Claudia

Smile

I have been missing out on showing off my superior diesel truck's in campgrounds by revving the engine past any parked gassers. But, I doubt it will do much since it's a factory exhaust system.
For the folks who remember when diesel fuel was always cheaper than regular gas. I do, and I blame all those who bought into the diesel engine is a superior, longer lasting engine in a HD truck if pulling or carrying a heavy load. You guys caused the diesel fuel to be in high demand. Please go back to any gasser of your choice, so I can get my diesel fuel below the cost of reg. unleaded again.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:34 AM   #94
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I have been missing out on showing off my superior diesel truck's in campgrounds by revving the engine past any parked gassers. But, I doubt it will do much since it's a factory exhaust system.
For the folks who remember when diesel fuel was always cheaper than regular gas. I do, and I blame all those who bought into the diesel engine is a superior, longer lasting engine in a HD truck if pulling or carrying a heavy load. You guys caused the diesel fuel to be in high demand. Please go back to any gasser of your choice, so I can get my diesel fuel below the cost of reg. unleaded again.
😁😁😁😁 yes...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #95
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
^^^ What he said. Diesel was 17 cents a gallon and regular was 21 cents when I bought my first diesel. About a year later, regular was 40 cents and diesel was 55. I guess I was part of that "crowd that caused the inflated prices"....

As for "riding around a campground revving my diesel"... Kinda hard to do that with a trailer hitched to the butt and an automatic transmission..... Seems to me that crap stopped about the time manual transmissions faded from the option list on HD trucks.... As for my diesel, my 6.2L gas engine made more noise (inside the cab and out) than my 6.7L diesel. Then, there's that "pesky thing called a 15,000 pound trailer" that makes "showing off to the gas crowd" sort of difficult to do... Like a few others, I stopped doing that when I stopped driving Daddy's truck and had to pay for my own fuel and repairs..... YMMV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:39 AM   #96
nellie1289

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
^^^ What he said. Diesel was 17 cents a gallon and regular was 21 cents when I bought my first diesel. About a year later, regular was 40 cents and diesel was 55. I guess I was part of that "crowd that caused the inflated prices"....

As for "riding around a campground revving my diesel"... Kinda hard to do that with a trailer hitched to the butt and an automatic transmission..... Seems to me that crap stopped about the time manual transmissions faded from the option list on HD trucks.... As for my diesel, my 6.2L gas engine made more noise (inside the cab and out) than my 6.7L diesel. Then, there's that "pesky thing called a 15,000 pound trailer" that makes "showing off to the gas crowd" sort of difficult to do... Like a few others, I stopped doing that when I stopped driving Daddy's truck and had to pay for my own fuel and repairs..... YMMV.
Put it in neutral !
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #97
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
Put it in neutral !
With a trailer in tow ???? That's an excellent way to screw up a transmission and possibly a transfer case "shifting back into gear after impressing "those gas truck infidels"....

Way too much effort for something that probably wouldn't make enough noise anyway with these "new fangled quiet, non smoking oil burners"....

If I had a RAM, I'd just extend the mirrors and "hit em on the head" as I passed by" ROFL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:46 AM   #98
Ken / Claudia

I guess in a way, I show off to many gassers pulling heavy loads up a steep long western mountain grade. When most are stuck in that 35 to 40 mph, I do the speed limit. CC along at 65, up/down and on straights. It is laughable how many times I pass them on the hills, they speed up on the downsides or flats going damn fast and pass me. Next hill I am still at same speed and pass them again.
I will admit driving a 460 ford and later the Ford V-10 work trucks as patrol vehicles. They would be a speed machine on flats pulling an 8,000 lb boat. But once the RPMs drop, speed just cannot be picked up again like in the turbo charged diesel engine. Until you try it you cannot beleive what low end power is. The V-10 would be screaming about 4800 RPMs and my personal truck just a power machine under 2,000 RPMs.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:24 PM   #99
wiredgeorge

Hard to believe a 460 would be used as a patrol vehicle... unless it just patrolled filling stations! My 460 was THIRSTY even with 2 tanks (about 36 gallons or so) you could get hypnotized watching the gas gauge drop.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 01:05 PM   #100
Ken / Claudia

State Police Fish and Wildlife enforcement patrol vehicle. We had 4 boats in the office, patrolled Columbia, Willamette Rivers in the 24 footer. Sandy, Clackamas Rivers and lakes in smaller boats. That trailer plus boat was 8,000 lbs. I thought the V10 getting 8 mpg was good compared to the 460 at 5 to 6.
That boat had a 454 chev, 80 gallon fuel tank. 8 hours on the water and used 60 plus gallons to refill it. In one patrol area, I drove a little over 100 miles round trip and than on water for 8 hours. I could pump 80 or more gallons total before going off shift. I always made a joke to the new hires I trained, "Glad the tax payer's pay this bill not us."

Tags
gas