Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2020, 03:27 AM   #61
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
There doesn't seem to be the truck shortage in Florida you speak of, but the demand here is probably a little less. Our friends in Okeechobee just ordered a new F350 Lariat from Gilbert Ford and there was no mention of problems. However, this new F350 is on their lot and you don't see many like it.
That looks like a unicorn! The truck that all the high towing numbers are based off of ..srw dually,single cab,1 ton. Maybe even gas? Oh wait the 4x4 reduces it I believe. I will look farther south. Maybe take the fifth wheel and stay a few places while looking. Thanks
Old 12-16-2020, 03:32 AM   #62
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
There doesn't seem to be the truck shortage in Florida you speak of, but the demand here is probably a little less. Our friends in Okeechobee just ordered a new F350 Lariat from Gilbert Ford and there was no mention of problems. However, this new F350 is on their lot and you don't see many like it.
Also the Ford salesman said the last truck he ordered/delivered was a f450 that the customer was trying to hit $100000 for the order but made it to $99000 with options .....that must be one nice truck..I made a mistake watching big truck big rv and now a f450 is on my wishlist...surprisingly the xlt 450 was comperable to a 350 but less negotiable ....I noticed you had one
Old 12-16-2020, 04:14 AM   #63
notanlines

I believe it was the 6.7, but I wasn't even sure Ford was making single cab dually's anymore.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:50 AM   #64
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Let me add something else to consider to this mix:

On most DRW trucks with steel wheels, you can rotate all 6 tires to any position. On every DRW that I've seen with aluminum wheels, only 4 are aluminum (two front and outside two on the rear), so to rotate the tires to all 6 positions, you'll need to dismount/remount the tires on the steel wheels (if you intend to add them to the tire rotation sequence)...

So, having steel wheels may not be the "worst issue" with a DRW truck. "Prettiness" is important, but when you consider $15 per wheel every 5K miles, it does mean a significant increase in maintenance costs over the life of the vehicle..... YMMV
This may be true, but how many rotate tires every 5K, I watch wear and rotate as necessary. I would also think on a $77,000 DRW they would at least have the polished Falsies that look like aluminum wheels.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:51 AM   #65
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
im going to slow down and look for the right truck. Your right it’s out there,and I never give up on something I want no matter how long it takes
Here... https://www.covertfordhutto.com/new-...8W3DT2MEC06808
Old 12-16-2020, 06:23 AM   #66
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Just a little bare bones for us. Our DRW is our daily driver, we like some creature comforts when traveling. I will gladly give up a bit of payload for heated/cooled seats and rain sensing wipers, we have many others, but in the PNW those two stand out.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:35 AM   #67
jasin1

Quote:

Funny you should post that.. I have a Ford dealer walking out to the lot as I type to take pictures of exact truck in grey. The only thing the grey one is missing is the surround camera system. The one you sent has it
I may just go with the minimalist approach for interior. Might make me use it more like a truck and less like a Cadillac. I currently have a fully optioned ram Laramie so I was hesitant about that ( had a Escalade before that inbetween trucks) the outside of the stx
package is pretty nice. Not much different then Laramie
Old 12-16-2020, 06:45 AM   #68
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Just a little bare bones for us. Our DRW is our daily driver, we like some creature comforts when traveling. I will gladly give up a bit of payload for heated/cooled seats and rain sensing wipers, we have many others, but in the PNW those two stand out.
Yes I love my heated/cooled seats! I run on the hot side so I have ac on until it drops below 50 outside in my truck.. the Laramie I drove yesterday had every option. I do like the surround / overhead camera system. Wonder how they are all gonna hold up over time. I had an 2008 Escalade that sat in my garage most of the time after I bought my current truck. If it sat more then a month the battery would go dead and when I charged back up the nav system failed. Another time the subwoofer wouldn’t work after dead battery and dealer had to Re flash computer. I love the extras but they can be a pita. Ended up selling the Escalade to carmax. Got a really good deal on selling outright to them. And they got a great deal on a mint Escalade with25000 miles. They paid me more then my highest offer on eBay and more then any dealer wanted to give me on trade
Old 12-16-2020, 06:47 AM   #69
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Quote:
Funny you should post that.. I have a Ford dealer walking out to the lot as I type to take pictures of exact truck in grey. The only thing the grey one is missing is the surround camera system. The one you sent has it
I may just go with the minimalist approach for interior. Might make me use it more like a truck and less like a Cadillac. I currently have a fully optioned ram Laramie so I was hesitant about that ( had a Escalade before that in between trucks) the outside of the six package is pretty nice. Not much different then Laramie
Boy... y'all wouldn't like my truck at all.. vinyl seats, floor mat, manual wipers, it does have power adjust/heated mirrors, tilt wheel with radio/stereo/phone controls and power windows and door locks... not because I wanted them.. but because they were there...

But I grew up poor in rural Texas and never learned that I needed all that stuff.. heck the DW and I had a B/W TV until our daughter was in high school...
Old 12-16-2020, 06:54 AM   #70
jasin1

Quote:
Boy... y'all wouldn't like my truck at all.. vinyl seats, floor mat, manual wipers, it does have power adjust/heated mirrors, tilt wheel with radio/stereo/phone controls and power windows and door locks... not because I wanted them.. but because they were there...

But I grew up poor in rural Texas and never learned that I needed all that stuff.. heck the DW and I had a B/W TV until our daughter was in high school...
Nothing wrong with that at all! I have three people in my circle of business associates that you would never know are millionaires.... they each have something in common.They tend to buy used vehicles for cash and drive them a long time. They let other people pay the depreciation. Not fully optioned so they get a good deal on things others would turn there nose up to..I’ve been making progress on what’s really important in life but not quite there yet...I tend to learn everything 10-20 years after the rest of the levelheaded population but it is “progress not perfection”
Old 12-16-2020, 07:13 AM   #71
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Sounds like the OP has pretty much already made up his mind. So any justification for a dually long bed is probably futile.

I'm over 60 years old and all my life I've never been one to follow ANY fads or social hysteria. I never let my kids get wrapped up in the latest "Fad" either. I kept all my old neck ties from the 1970's, which have circled back to popularity two more times after that, and now, the latest "style" is basically, no tie. So, I'm still hanging on to them. Functionality over popularity has always been my theme.

I drive a long bed dually crew cab diesel 3500 and never had any difficulty towing. That's all that mattered to me. It really paid off when I switched from a traditional travel trailer to a fifth wheel. And it's still a daily driver too.

This works for me and I'm very happy with it. My truck has always fulfilled it's purpose (function) for which I purchased it for .... towing.

I made this statement many times, and you can apply it to your unique lifestyle:

“You really need to think in terms of what is the ultimate extreme usage you'll be experiencing with your tow vehicle, not what is the lightest usage and hope it's OK when the extreme happens."
I have come around to the 8’ bed dually. It’s not as odd looking to me now as it first appeared. I guess after looking at my last 4 trucks all having short beds, it took a while for my eyes accept what they were seeing
Old 12-16-2020, 07:40 AM   #72
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
im going to slow down and look for the right truck. Your right it’s out there,and I never give up on something I want no matter how long it takes

As Jim mentioned, it seemed there was a better selection in the SE when I bought my current truck at the very end of last year vs TX, SE NM, etc.

I looked for about a year (not every day) for a truck similar to what I have now but there were none to be found anywhere in my area. I did not want to "order" a truck because the only 2 times I did something went afoul. Contacted the dealers in our area right before we left in Oct. 19. Got to FL and began the search here. It was somewhat difficult and they had quite a few vehicles "close" but always missing something I considered critical. Dealer in Tallahassee finally found one in St. Augustine after they widened the search criteria. This one checked all the boxes PLUS a bunch more. I think the 4.10 axle is what made it more difficult. Checked with 2 dealers back home before I bought it and both said there was nothing close to what I wanted within a 500 mile radius. Would have tried ordering a 2020 (I was at that point) but they would not give me employee pricing+ and there were no dates set for the production of the 20s so they brought me the one from St. Augustine.

All that to say just keep looking and expand your search area. "Your" truck is probably out there but it may be at the back of Mo and Jo's Auto in Podunk USA.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #73
Brentw

Quote:
I have come around to the 8’ bed dually. It’s not as odd looking to me now as it first appeared. I guess after looking at my last 4 trucks all having short beds, it took a while for my eyes accept what they were seeing
I think you are on the right path, I daily drive my dually, although I'm rural. You get accustomed to it, and get more exercise by parking in the back of the lot with the rest of the farm trucks lol. But when I get to drive the wife's little speeder, I'm a force to be reckoned with zipping here and there.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:00 AM   #74
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
I think you are on the right path, I daily drive my dually, although I'm rural. You get accustomed to it, and get more exercise by parking in the back of the lot with the rest of the farm trucks lol. But when I get to drive the wife's little speeder, I'm a force to be reckoned with zipping here and there.
Yeah that won’t be a problem lol I’ve always been the guy that parks a mile away from the Home Depot ..I look like im on the satellite parking lot waiting for a shuttle ..I’ve never minded the walk. It’s funny though I can park 30 spaces from someone else in any direction and every now and then someone parks right next to me. I think it’s the herd mentality or they can’t see the lines in the parking lot...But all my personal vehicles look the same or better when I sell them
Old 12-16-2020, 08:37 AM   #75
Javi

Quote:
Yeah that won’t be a problem lol I’ve always been the guy that parks a mile away from the Home Depot ..I look like im on the satellite parking lot waiting for a shuttle ..I’ve never minded the walk. It’s funny though I can park 30 spaces from someone else in any direction and every now and then someone parks right next to me. I think it’s the herd mentality or they can’t see the lines in the parking lot...But all my personal vehicles look the same or better when I sell them
https://www.johnsonsewell.com/new/Fo...earchDepth=3:3
Old 12-16-2020, 08:47 AM   #76
jasin1

Man that looks nice. Here is what the dealer sent me today. it’s almost the same as the first one you sent me. I’m kinda liking it. It’s an understated simplicity that is starting to appeal to me. Even the interior is a minimalist style. Rubber floor mats and cloth seats but still has power locks and windows would be easier taking my sons Australian cattle dog on trips when he is away. Decisions decisions ... couldn’t get image to rotate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D60242E-BDD0-4125-AB01-1C168B92DEF2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	555.4 KB
ID:	31163   Click image for larger version

Name:	0449817F-DAAE-43F7-A0C1-A590C60490E0.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	309.1 KB
ID:	31164  
Old 12-16-2020, 09:02 AM   #77
Javi

Quote:
Man that looks nice. Here is what the dealer sent me today. it’s almost the same as the first one you sent me. I’m kinda liking it. It’s an understated simplicity that is starting to appeal to me. Even the interior is a minimalist style. Rubber floor mats and cloth seats but still has power locks and windows would be easier taking my sons Australian cattle dog on trips when he is away. Decisions decisions ... couldn’t get image to rotate
I always ask for rubber floor mats.. I like to be able to use the garden hose to was the floor out when I've been tromping thru the mud.. Don't always get them, but I like them.. easier to keep clean

Cloth seats are great but I usually end up with Carhartt seat covers cause of (see below)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200814_103008.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	31165  
Old 12-16-2020, 09:39 AM   #78
spade117

Quote:
manual wipers,
Never heard of those.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:42 AM   #79
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spade117 View Post
Never heard of those.
No rain sensor OR in other words NOT AUTOMATIC
Old 12-16-2020, 09:45 AM   #80
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spade117 View Post
Never heard of those.
When I was 18 I had a 71 Monte Carlo ..beautiful car.. was having the engine built at a local engine builder so it was off the road for 6 months. Bought a early 70s Datsun or Toyota pickup can’t remember and the windshield wiper motor went up Had a string hooked to the wiper arm to pull-up the wiper...it would return on its own lol