Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2020, 09:26 AM   #21
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
All 7 of my wheels are steel.. I don't have to worry and can swap till my hearts content..
Lol that may be the right way to go
Old 12-14-2020, 09:35 AM   #22
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
Lol that may be the right way to go
A truck, Stillson wrench, 5th wheel or a drill are all tools... worry about what they do for you, not so much how they look doing it..
Old 12-14-2020, 09:40 AM   #23
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
A truck, Stillson wrench, 5th wheel or a drill are all tools... worry about what they do for you, not so much how they look doing it..
Wish I would’ve had the ability to accept that bit of wisdom when I was 20 years old. Would have been a lot simpler life and a bigger bank account. But you couldn’t tell me anything when I was young.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:49 AM   #24
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Well until each company, Ford, GM and Ram go public and say why they put the numbers of 3/4 and 1 tons we can guess all day long. Until then we must use that White and Yellow sticker to determine what we should be loading and pulling with the vehicles.
I suspect that if you really dug down into your states vehicle code you would find it like Oregon. Many 3/4 ton vehicles need TRUCK licenses. It's all about what it is used for. And that has been beaten to death also, but in 1 sentence is it a comm. use vehicle or private vehicle. As just 1 example: Ambulances. They are a comm. vehicle hired to transport people no matter the GVW or GVWR.
The long bed vs short bed, I agree the short bed looks better. I owned 1 and never will another. It's not one is better then the other just different. I buy stuff that is 8 ft long and like leaving the tailgate closed. Also it holds more stuff by volume when using it as a truck.
Ken a little lost on Oregon “Truck” license!
I have never seen reference to a truck license except on commercial trucks.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:01 AM   #25
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Ken a little lost on Oregon “Truck” license!
I have never seen reference to a truck license except on commercial trucks.
Maybe he's talking about the tag fees.. for instance in Texas if registered over 10K pays a graduated increase for instance my 14K cost me $110 a year same thing on the 5th wheel.. 10,001lbs to 16,000 lbs = $110

Any pickup under 10K GVWR is classes as a passenger car.. $54
Old 12-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
sorry for veering away but what keeps the Anderson hitch from rotating on the gooseneck ball and scratching up the bed? It looks like just the weight of the fiver holds the square base down on the bed. I wondered why it wouldn’t have at least one pin to hold in place on the base

The Andersen adapter sits on the B&W ball and the frame sits between the puck holes. My 2 front holes have B&W chain inserts in them so there is no way the frame can move anywhere. As far as the warranty issues with the Andersen; I asked my dealer before I bought it and they assured me they had had no issues and I wouldn't either. I told them I would hold them to that and they said they would take care of it so...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:05 AM   #27
Laredo Tugger

I have a SRW Short bed, crew cab with the HO and Aisin. Also have a Curt 16K Slider hitch.
I chose the SRW because I like the look and did not want a dually. My total weights for the connected package are below the truck and trailer specs.
My trailers max is 13K, I am close to 12.5 fully loaded. From what I have learned on this forum, if I were to consider a larger FW I would get a dually.
The long bed does offer more bed for hauling, payload and more room for an auxiliary fuel tank.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #28
CWtheMan

Here in SC my truck is registered according to it's GCWR. There is a different tag when registered that way. It's just got a "P" and numbers on a white background.

Smaller pick-up trucks, especially with passenger tires, have the option for regular tags based on registered GVWR.

The SC DMV has a comprehensive GCWR data base. When I first registered my dually I was asked what I was towing. Once that was determined the data base said the GCWR was 22,500# with 3.73 gears and 23,500# with the 4.10, which I have.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:01 AM   #29
dutchmensport

Sounds like the OP has pretty much already made up his mind. So any justification for a dually long bed is probably futile.

I'm over 60 years old and all my life I've never been one to follow ANY fads or social hysteria. I never let my kids get wrapped up in the latest "Fad" either. I kept all my old neck ties from the 1970's, which have circled back to popularity two more times after that, and now, the latest "style" is basically, no tie. So, I'm still hanging on to them. Functionality over popularity has always been my theme.

I drive a long bed dually crew cab diesel 3500 and never had any difficulty towing. That's all that mattered to me. It really paid off when I switched from a traditional travel trailer to a fifth wheel. And it's still a daily driver too.

This works for me and I'm very happy with it. My truck has always fulfilled it's purpose (function) for which I purchased it for .... towing.

I made this statement many times, and you can apply it to your unique lifestyle:

“You really need to think in terms of what is the ultimate extreme usage you'll be experiencing with your tow vehicle, not what is the lightest usage and hope it's OK when the extreme happens."
Old 12-14-2020, 11:04 AM   #30
wiredgeorge

Well now that you have heard a zillion preferences and what everyone else owns (the brand/model truck owned reflects a persons character and basic intelligence), hope your question was answered. EVERYBODY HAS THEIR OPINION! To know if SRW or DRW is right, look at the payload placard on every potential purchase and KNOW if the truck is up to snuff. If SRW or DRW was the single right solution, everybody would have one or the other. Keep in mind that Ford drivers are highly sought after by the cute young girls and other brands make you look old. There is MY opinion. Oh yeah, get over the fear of long bed trucks and buy one and you won't have to worry about overpriced and fancy receivers sliding back and forth so you won't bang your cab.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #31
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Sounds like the OP has pretty much already made up his mind. So any justification for a dually long bed is probably futile.

I'm over 60 years old and all my life I've never been one to follow ANY fads or social hysteria. I never let my kids get wrapped up in the latest "Fad" either. I kept all my old neck ties from the 1970's, which have circled back to popularity two more times after that, and now, the latest "style" is basically, no tie. So, I'm still hanging on to them. Functionality over popularity has always been my theme.

I drive a long bed dually crew cab diesel 3500 and never had any difficulty towing. That's all that mattered to me. It really paid off when I switched from a traditional travel trailer to a fifth wheel. And it's still a daily driver too.

This works for me and I'm very happy with it. My truck has always fulfilled it's purpose (function) for which I purchased it for .... towing.

I made this statement many times, and you can apply it to your unique lifestyle:

“You really need to think in terms of what is the ultimate extreme usage you'll be experiencing with your tow vehicle, not what is the lightest usage and hope it's OK when the extreme happens."
Nah I didn’t make up my mind yet... thanks for the input though. I’m really just trying to get other peoples ideas that actually tow fifth wheels. I was just looking at f450s on line also. The attraction there is the tight turning radius with the wide track front end.. and it took me a looong time to learn about what’s important in life and I do try pass that on to my kids.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #32
jasin1

Thanks! Yeah I know it was a question that had no clear answer.. just bouncing things off the forum to help me decide. I do appreciate
Old 12-14-2020, 11:15 AM   #33
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Well now that you have heard a zillion preferences and what everyone else owns (the brand/model truck owned reflects a persons character and basic intelligence), hope your question was answered. EVERYBODY HAS THEIR OPINION! To know if SRW or DRW is right, look at the payload placard on every potential purchase and KNOW if the truck is up to snuff. If SRW or DRW was the single right solution, everybody would have one or the other. Keep in mind that Ford drivers are highly sought after by the cute young girls and other brands make you look old. There is MY opinion. Oh yeah, get over the fear of long bed trucks and buy one and you won't have to worry about overpriced and fancy receivers sliding back and forth so you won't bang your cab.
Thanks! Meant to quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:17 AM   #34
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The Andersen adapter sits on the B&W ball and the frame sits between the puck holes. My 2 front holes have B&W chain inserts in them so there is no way the frame can move anywhere. As far as the warranty issues with the Andersen; I asked my dealer before I bought it and they assured me they had had no issues and I wouldn't either. I told them I would hold them to that and they said they would take care of it so...
Ok thanks!
Old 12-14-2020, 11:58 AM   #35
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Ford drivers are also easier to catch........... usually parked along side the road waiting for help! LOL!
My 2 GMCs the turning radius was as good as any. My Dad had a Nissan Frontier truck that probably would've fit in the bed of mine & my dually crew cab could turn circles inside the turning radius of that toy truck.
Not sure where you heard the angled exhaust on GM diesel would harm the front of any rv, but I will say I towed my 5th wheel 50-60 miles with that angled exhaust & never got spot on the front.
So far reading this thread it sounds like you're worrying needlessly about a bunch of "WHAT IFS", get the truck YOU want that You feel will do the best for YOU & go enjoy, don't sweat the small stuff!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:05 PM   #36
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Ford drivers are also easier to catch........... usually parked along side the road waiting for help! LOL!
My 2 GMCs the turning radius was as good as any. My Dad had a Nissan Frontier truck that probably would've fit in the bed of mine & my dually crew cab could turn circles inside the turning radius of that toy truck.
Not sure where you heard the angled exhaust on GM diesel would harm the front of any rv, but I will say I towed my 5th wheel 50-60 miles with that angled exhaust & never got spot on the front.
So far reading this thread it sounds like you're worrying needlessly about a bunch of "WHAT IFS", get the truck YOU want that You feel will do the best for YOU & go enjoy, don't sweat the small stuff!!
Good advice... I tend to overthink things... It can be good at times but mostly leads to indecision lately. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2020, 12:14 PM   #37
dutchmensport

Just an FYI, it does take a football field to turn my Chevy 3500 diesel dually long bed crew cab around!
Old 12-14-2020, 12:29 PM   #38
jasin1

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Just an FYI, it does take a football field to turn my Chevy 3500 diesel dually long bed crew cab around!
Thanks
Old 12-14-2020, 02:30 PM   #39
Ken / Claudia

Post #24
Next time you spot an ambulance headed your way, look at the license plate. If it's licensed correctly it must be all yellow with blue letters/numbers. 1st character is "T" followed by numbers. That plate is issued for any comm. vehicle that weights (NOT GVWR) 8,000 lbs plus and used for hire, except a bus. (bus needs a bus plate)
Ambulances and Hearses normally need T plates. Many do not have them. There are transporters of RVs (paid to move them). They all need T plates if there a 250/2500 or larger and or transporter plates. ( Which is a T plate to transport only)
If joe the plumper has his name on the side of a f250 and it's rear end is really low due to being loaded with pipe. He needs a T plate, Because he is over 8000 lbs. If empty he may be legal without the T plate depending on the truck.
At 26001 lbs plus then it's a PUC plate if for hire. If it's a private use semi truck example: (owned and operated to move his race car) Back to needing a T plate.
Point being 3/4 tons likely all need T plates if for hire and carrying any goods or people.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:37 PM   #40
notanlines

Yep, we love the look of the short beds, particularly when attached to the large phony 8" exhaust and the fake dual stacks coming out of the back shooting up behind the tool box...hmmmm. I'm particularly impressed with the jacked up Jeeps (etc) that have never seen Mississippi gumbo in their life. Oh to be under 30 and stupid again. I still try on occasion, but all I can come up with is the 'stupid' part.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote