Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #21
notanlines

Just to inject a little humor, Javi once said you can always stay with the gas engine and just drive through the park with the windows down making a sound like a diesel....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:26 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Danny, are you trading in the 2014 6.4 on the new truck? Look at the difference in trade in between the 6.4 and a 6.7 diesel. Yep you do have the first time buy in of $10,000 or so, but the difference in trade in value you retain about 80% of it.
Likely not going to change your mind, but you aren’t just throwing $10k away. Then there is the towing experience, while a gas engine is getting to the top of its comfort zone at 12,000# to 14,000# a diesel is at low end of its comfort zone. I am sure Javi covered this with you.

Russ, I've not traded in a diesel so I don't know the exact numbers but my son has been in the car business for decades. When I initially considered a diesel a few years ago I asked him about the return on trade. At that time he said they would generally bring about 4k more than a gas engine. With that said I would need to get 6k of "additional benefits" from a diesel to make it worthwhile. I just don't do that. If I anticipated a large trailer I would just buy one but 12-13k is as large as we will go. Granted the diesel does a better job of "pulling" but I don't pull all the time. 85%, at least, of my time is spent non towing so it would be of no benefit. They used to get far superior mileage but that isn't the case anymore and I could never make back that price differential in savings. And, unlike Jim mentioned, I don't drive thru the park trying to make diesel sounds...I don't like to wake people up or be woke up.

Anyway, the 3500 I was ready to buy is off the table because the local dealer said the dealer that had it won't send it to them. Back to the drawing board. Looking at ordering one tomorrow if it can be here in FL before we leave and I can still get discounts.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #23
vampress_me

My only question would be are you sure you only have 7’ tall garage doors? Can someone measure it for you, just in case they are taller? Depending on when it was built, newer houses (as in 15 years old or newer) in our part of the country are typically built with 8’ tall doors. Well, depending on how cheap the contractor is...

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
My only question would be are you sure you only have 7’ tall garage doors? Can someone measure it for you, just in case they are taller? Depending on when it was built, newer houses (as in 15 years old or newer) in our part of the country are typically built with 8’ tall doors. Well, depending on how cheap the contractor is...

Thanks Lynette and that's not a bad idea. It was a custom build and I went through all of it but I just cannot remember the height of those doors. I had them widen the garage and build out a concrete raised area but I don't remember the doors. I'm sure we discussed the size of the doors because I know I told him I wanted separated doors instead on one long one so I could widen the distance between them and I think I just told him "standard" doors but... I've been going off mine and Susan's memories and how much space is above the current truck when I pull in. I'll see if we might find someone to give us an exact measurement. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:48 PM   #25
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Anyway, the 3500 I was ready to buy is off the table because the local dealer said the dealer that had it won't send it to them. Back to the drawing board. Looking at ordering one tomorrow if it can be here in FL before we leave and I can still get discounts.
Sorry to say, you can't get the discounts when you order; They only give the discounts for what they are currently running when the truck arrives at your dealer (approx 2 months, and nobody knows what they will be in 2 months). I had talked to several dealers about ordering one over the last few months and they all said the same thing. I suppose if you had someone on the inside this could be different, but if you order you are at the mercy of whatever the specials are when it arrives.

And the employee pricing is big- I got over $8k off sticker last week, because there are other discounts that stack with the pricing right now. I did not get exactly what I wanted, but decided that the ridiculous pricing right now was worth a few trade offs.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:51 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Sorry to say, you can't get the discounts when you order; They only give the discounts for what they are currently running when the truck arrives at your dealer (approx 2 months, and nobody knows what they will be in 2 months). I had talked to several dealers about ordering one over the last few months and they all said the same thing. I suppose if you had someone on the inside this could be different, but if you order you are at the mercy of whatever the specials are when it arrives.

And the employee pricing is big- I got over $8k off sticker last week, because there are other discounts that stack with the pricing right now. I did not get exactly what I wanted, but decided that the ridiculous pricing right now was worth a few trade offs.

Thanks Matt. I was worried about the pricing on an ordered vehicle also but I talked to the sales guy (Matt as well) and he said if we ordered it, and paid for it, while the sale was on it was a paid for truck and the pricing should be honored. He is to check tomorrow and confirm. We are looking at the same kind of discounts too....we'll see.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:54 PM   #27
vampress_me

Quote:
Dodge doesn’t honor the discounts at time of order? Ford does, so I would double-check with the Dodge dealer to make sure (since I can’t believe one brand would do something that much better than another one). All 3 of our recent Ford trucks have been ordered, and every time the discounts at time of order were “locked in” so we at least got those. In fact, my $2000 private offer was set to expire long before the truck would show up on the dealer lot, but dealer called Ford and they said they would still honor it - and they did. Also, If the discounts were better when the truck came in, we could take advantage of that instead.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:28 PM   #28
Gegrad

Quote:
Thanks Matt. I was worried about the pricing on an ordered vehicle also but I talked to the sales guy (Matt as well) and he said if we ordered it, and paid for it, while the sale was on it was a paid for truck and the pricing should be honored. He is to check tomorrow and confirm. We are looking at the same kind of discounts too....we'll see.
Oh wow, well if you can get the current pricing on an ordered truck do it now! Up here in PA all I got was a "no". That would have been sweet had I been able to do that.. would have definitely gotten the Ram Box. Good luck with it all Danny!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #29
mtofell

Quote:
up front 10k premium.
Per Ram website the diesel option is $9100 MSRP - At Dennis Dillon (or similar) you are paying roughly 80% of MSRP so that diesel upgrade is roughly $7300.

Still may not make sense for your usage but you should at least be using accurate numbers for comparison.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Per Ram website the diesel option is $9100 MSRP - At Dennis Dillon (or similar) you are paying roughly 80% of MSRP so that diesel upgrade is roughly $7300.

Still may not make sense for your usage but you should at least be using accurate numbers for comparison.

I rounded it off for typing ease. For purchase price 9100 (which I'm aware of since I've been on that website a LOT) is about the same as 10k to me and since I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone I don't see it as an issue. They're the same to me.

I did however look at that website and it sure makes me wish I was in Idaho. If their info on the site is correct they would have already sold me a truck. Alas, I'm here (FL) and the type of truck I want is rare. My discount will be about 13%. That is a substantial difference but can't offset the cost and time of trying to go from one corner of the U.S. to the other.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #31
Jim2366

Hi Sourdough,
If it's a long bed then what you will want to check is the length. I think it's about 20 feet long. The other thing to check is how much higher it is at the hitch, and to level your rig and keep the 5 inches clearance from the pickup rails and the RV.
Jim2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #32
Wyldfire

Their advertised price is their price. The only thing they tried on me was adding $250 for identity etching but removed it when I said no.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:09 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post
Their advertised price is their price. The only thing they tried on me was adding $250 for identity etching but removed it when I said no.

I tell ya, I wish I had started doing this and consulted far earlier in the year. DW and I were talking this evening after the previous post about this dealer and I told her if their pricing holds over the long term to plan on a trip to Idaho for our next truck!! Been there but haven't spent enough time.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #34
Wyldfire

Quote:
I tell ya, I wish I had started doing this and consulted far earlier in the year. DW and I were talking this evening after the previous post about this dealer and I told her if their pricing holds over the long term to plan on a trip to Idaho for our next truck!! Been there but haven't spent enough time.
I think you will see the pricing hold. They sale more trucks out of state I believe then to residents. Morning are a continuous line of salesman arriving from airport with internet truck buyers in tow to finish the details and get them on the way.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:08 PM   #35
socoinc1984

I have a 2018 Ram 3500 4x4 Mega Cab fits in my standard 6’-8” garage no problem
socoinc1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:20 PM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Thank you.
Old 12-22-2019, 12:29 AM   #37
notanlines

Just for those of us who didn't know of window etching:
"VIN etching is one of the easiest fees to avoid. Putting the car's vehicle identification number (VIN) on the windows is a proven antitheft measure. While some dealers may charge $250 for the service, you can get a kit and do it yourself for as little as $25."
Thank you Google....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:56 AM   #38
rush2112

Picked up a 2019 3500 SRW 4x4 Diesel Laramie 3 weeks ago from Hendrick Ram in Concord NC for $15k off MSRP. If you're only getting $8k off a gas engine you may want to continue looking. If you can get like I did off of a diesel it may be near the same price at the end of the day as your gas.
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:45 PM   #39
Big1

Quote:

Hey Gegrad, I will be interesting to know what is your payload and towing capacity with the new 6.4L?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:46 PM   #40
Big1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112 View Post
Picked up a 2019 3500 SRW 4x4 Diesel Laramie 3 weeks ago from Hendrick Ram in Concord NC for $15k off MSRP. If you're only getting $8k off a gas engine you may want to continue looking. If you can get like I did off of a diesel it may be near the same price at the end of the day as your gas.

Congrats! Do you have any pics?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote