Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2019, 05:24 AM   #81
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfitzkp View Post
Thats tongue from paper. Not towing with water in tank. What kind of truck do u have with a payload of 2000
Paper is useless for weights, except GVW.

I have a 2015 GMC Sierra with their max trailer package. They are around 2000 lbs, a bit less with the 6.2L. Ford has a max payload version that is rarer than hens teeth, but has a higher payload. I looked for one to see what I thought of it and couldn't find one.

Still, even with that payload amount, my 8,200 lb trailer is pushing it.

My water tank is right at the front of the trailer, and I usually tow with just enough for a couple of toilet flushes. My black and bathroom grey are still in front of the axle with the kitchen grey at the rear. As I posted, I'm over 1000 lbs tongue weight without water on my unit.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:29 AM   #82
GMcKenzie

Payload sticker for those curious.

2015 GMC CC NHT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Payload no vin.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	21668  

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:26 AM   #83
{tpc}

I don't have a lot to add here other than I noticed a new F250 FX4 at work today in for benchmarking, so I opened the door. Had almost 3k payload. Was 2953 or something like that.

I don't know if thats good, average, or better than average, but it seem relevant to mention in this thread.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:28 AM   #84
cookinwitdiesel

Would help to know cab size, bed length, engine type, trim, etc. I believe FX4 is just package like Z71 on Chevys that gets a sticker thrown on the body.

Not knowing anything else, for it to be a 3/4 ton with that much payload it is likely a gas truck or a super stripped down diesel with no options/features.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:38 AM   #85
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
Would help to know cab size, bed length, engine type, trim, etc. I believe FX4 is just package like Z71 on Chevys that gets a sticker thrown on the body.

Not knowing anything else, for it to be a 3/4 ton with that much payload it is likely a gas truck or a super stripped down diesel with no options/features.

Agree, most likely Gas
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:41 AM   #86
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post

Ya, I didn't think of that. Had to hunt it down as they moved it on me but I found it. It is a Lariet, 6.2 V8 with the 6 speed transmission, SRW, 160" WB. 3.73 axle, 608A package. Moonroof, snow plow package, Lariet ultimate package. Leather seats. 10000 GVWR package.

I was surprised to see it's MSRP at 63,150.00 which didn't sound all that bad, but i'm not in the market yet for a bigger truck so not sure what that would get you in diesal or whatnot.

I don't know that I quite get the snowplow package thing for what seems to made as a more luxury ride, but I'm sure there is something to it.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:40 AM   #87
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
I don't have a lot to add here other than I noticed a new F250 FX4 at work today in for benchmarking, so I opened the door. Had almost 3k payload. Was 2953 or something like that.

I don't know if thats good, average, or better than average, but it seem relevant to mention in this thread.
My guess would be if that F250 is a crew cab, then it's a gas truck? Also, the FX4 package is available on any truck from the XL to the Ultimate. Essentially it contains the addition of upgrade shocks, skid plates, hill decent feature and a decal. All the trucks I've seen with gas engines are "in that payload range" while all the diesel equipped F250's have payloads around the 2000-2200 pound range. XL (less options/less vehicle weight) have significantly higher payload ratings than Ultimate (more options/more vehicle weight) which weigh more, so those options come directly off the 10,000 GVW, meaning less payload.

ADDED: It looks like I "should have" read the entire thread before I posted. I see you found that truck and it was a gas engine.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #88
Tireman9

Here is the info you need to follow to know if you have enough truck to tow safely.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:49 AM   #89
pdaniel

I agree somewhat the weights declared by the dealers and manufacturers are to sucker many in. However, I give credit to the manufacturer of my latest 5th wheel which declares up front what the laden weight of the RV should be. And the sales person, first question was, what is your tow vehicle and confirmed that my vehicle could tow the rig.
I will agree many get suckered into a rig that their current equipment cannot tow and belong, as one poster put it, to the "been there done that" club. I also belong to that club.
I cannot stress more to prospective buyers of towables-do your homework and buy a tow vehicle larger than what you need right now-don't live on the edge and think "things will be ok". Do not sucker into the sales pitch and have your tow vehicle capacities in hand.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #90
avalanchehd

Not sure any trucks have brakes rated to stop the combined weight, but better to have too much truck than not enough.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:42 AM   #91
08montana

The BIGGEST problem with your setup will be braking distance. And just one emergency stop will fry your brakes
08montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:28 AM   #92
brodiegg

Your truck may tow the TT but I wager you will be over payload. As stated look at the sticker on the TV drivers door, you will see max payload. Add the hitch weight, passengers, gear, propane tanks and anything else, see how much you are over. Also check to see if your tires will handle the weight and pressure---my tires go to 80 psi when towing. I too was caught in this trap less than a year ago and upgraded to 3/4 ton.
brodiegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:12 PM   #93
S&D--Forever

My father was really good at making bad news seem reasonable. So I will keep my news brief. You can calculate all you want, but your truck will be overloaded from day one. Don’t even consider throwing dirt bike or ATVs on it. Get your tow vehicle situation resolved first. Buy the strongest tow vehicle you can afford first, then consider your trailer. Leave yourself a big fat cushion in case your needs change. People laugh sometimes when they see me towing my Cougar half ton towable with my diesel super duty but it tows my trailer with ease and confidence. Truck first, trailer second!! Good luck.
S&D--Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #94
BadmanRick

No your f150 is Not enough.

No your f150 is not enough to safely tow that 7600 lb trailer. The tail will wag the hog on this setup. Too much trailer for that light Ford F-150. Check with your insurance company and see if they will cover it if you have a accident.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #95
notanlines

I generally agree with what has been suggested with one exception. RV veterans will normally side on the "Buy the RV first, buy the TV second" mantra. You will be less likely to get any personal body parts in the infamous wringer this way.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #96
NH_Bulldog

Look up the Ford Towing and Payload guide,. The 2.7L isn’t enough truck for what you are looking to tow. I have a 2015 F150 Supercrew with 3.5L Twin Turbo and Heavy Duty tow package (17,100 lb GCWR and 11,700 lb max trailer weight). I can tow our Passport 240BH with ease, but your set-up isn’t capable to safely tow what you are looking at. A 3/4 ton set-up would be better suited for your situation.
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #97
hornet28

I have a neighbor who for years believed in using small motor 1/2 tons for pulling his 33' Airstream triple axle. His wife told mine they didn't move if there was any wind because of the instability. I tried multiple times to convince him he needed a bigger truck but he wouldn't listen and he chided me for having larger trucks with big motors. Well in 07 he bought a Chevy CC 2500 diesel and after the first tow admitted he should've listened to me years before
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #98
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Look up the Ford Towing and Payload guide,. The 2.7L isn’t enough truck for what you are looking to tow. I have a 2015 F150 Supercrew with 3.5L Twin Turbo and Heavy Duty tow package (17,100 lb GCWR and 11,700 lb max trailer weight). I can tow our Passport 240BH with ease, but your set-up isn’t capable to safely tow what you are looking at. A 3/4 ton set-up would be better suited for your situation.
Even with your "Heavy Duty tow package" you'll exceed that trucks payload long before you ever reach those max weights.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #99
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Even with your "Heavy Duty tow package" you'll exceed that trucks payload long before you ever reach those max weights.
It was only meant to illustrate that I have plenty of truck to tow what I am towing with some to spare (and yes, we have ample payload capacity after all the necessary weight deductions based on our specific needs). As long as we have been doing this, we have always sized the truck to the trailer we were towing or intending to tow.
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:14 PM   #100
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&D--Forever View Post
My father was really good at making bad news seem reasonable. So I will keep my news brief. You can calculate all you want, but your truck will be overloaded from day one. Don’t even consider throwing dirt bike or ATVs on it. Get your tow vehicle situation resolved first. Buy the strongest tow vehicle you can afford first, then consider your trailer. Leave yourself a big fat cushion in case your needs change. People laugh sometimes when they see me towing my Cougar half ton towable with my diesel super duty but it tows my trailer with ease and confidence. Truck first, trailer second!! Good luck.
I had the same looks with my Cougar X-lite and a Ram 3500.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote