Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2018, 04:48 PM   #1
ken56

converter

Why would my converter fan run all the time when I am plugged into shore power and no fan when on battery alone, depending on load (normally)? When on my battery only the fan runs depending on the load on it. Previous 2 trailers I did not have the fan run when on shore power except depending on the load. I have a AGM battery.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

converter

The fan on the converter will only run when the converter is “on”. That means your plugged into shore power. When your not plugged in, the converter does nothing.

The converter is powered by 110VAC, and the battery can’t produce that by itself. When plugged in the converter is producing 12VDC to power the 12V things in the trailer and charge the battery.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

X2 ... Maybe another way to put it is your converter is a 110 VAC device therefore requires 110 VAC to operate generally supplied by hooking up to shore power. No 110 VAC, converter does not run. When only on your house battery you basically have no 110 VAC and only 12 VDC supplied to your rig. A possible inverter not discussed here. When on shore power the converter provides 12 VDC to all 12V devices in the rig as well as charges the battery assuming the battery disconnect switch is in the correct position
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #4
ken56

Thanks fellas, I do understand the difference between AC and DC. This fan runs when plugged into shore power and there is NO AC load. Just the fact of being plugged in makes the cooling fan run. My previous 2 trailers did not do this. There had to be an AC load to make the cooling fan run. It may be just how the converter is I guess but as I said, even without an AC load the cooling fan runs.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #5
ChuckS

Sure sounds like an inverter to me. Perhaps running a residential fridge.

The year, brand, and model of your RV might help to be able to provide further insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken56 View Post
It may be just how the converter is I guess but as I said, even without an AC load the cooling fan runs.

There is a lot of variation in these inverters and typically OEM is on the lower end of the cost/function spectrum. Seeing one with the fan running wouldn't worry me at all.

Unless you installed an aftermarket switch, there pretty much always is some sort of AC load on these things... It might be small, in the mA range, but the load is there.

Photo of the converter helps too..
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

There isn’t any AC “load” on the converter, there is DC load. The converters “job” is to take 110VAC and make 12VDC.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #8
ChuckS

converter

Reread thru the original post again and if I read OP right the converter fan is running when plugged into shore power. That’s normal. The converter is trying to charge batteries plus run any DC items. There is always a DC load of some kind.. CO2 detector at the least..

The other part the OP states about fan running when only on battery tells me he is hearing an inverter cooling fan... not the converter. As most know... the converter requires AC to power up and fans would only run on AC...

Sounds like two different issues to me... both which appear to be normal operation.

**** It would help a ton if we knew the year, make, model of RV to determine the stock installed gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
Old 02-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Why would my converter fan run all the time when I am plugged into shore power and no fan when on battery alone, depending on load (normally)? When on my battery only the fan runs depending on the load on it. Previous 2 trailers I did not have the fan run when on shore power except depending on the load. I have a AGM battery.
Ken, The cooling fan for the converter will only run on shore power depending on DC load and condition of battery. When disconnected from shore power the converter does NOTHING but take up space. Sooooo, if you hear a sound when unplugged, it is not the converter.
There are other fans that you might hear .... is your fridge in a slide? If so you may have several fans for it.
Locate your converter and you will see that it is not the culprit. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:33 PM   #10
ken56

Ok, my education is becoming more complete. Rig is 2017 Laredo with a WFCO 8930/50 amp power center. Battery is 1 yr. old AGM. Fan is NOT the fridge, they are off. While this may be normal operating condition I just had to wonder why my other rigs didn't do that. We have used our Laredo without any problems since last June, only minor things that I have fixed myself. Happy campers so far.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:53 PM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Ok, my education is becoming more complete. Rig is 2017 Laredo with a WFCO 8930/50 amp power center. Battery is 1 yr. old AGM. Fan is NOT the fridge, they are off. While this may be normal operating condition I just had to wonder why my other rigs didn't do that. We have used our Laredo without any problems since last June, only minor things that I have fixed myself. Happy campers so far.
Like I said, try to locate the converter. It may just have a louder fan than your previous trailers or may need cleaning. Might have construction debris or insulation making it loud. Others may have the same problem so let us know what you find. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

The converter fan (used to cool the transformer windings) usually starts turning at slow speed when the DC demand reaches about 5-7 amps and the speed increases as the DC demand goes up. The battery charger, when the trailer is first plugged into shore power, will draw about 20 amps (DC) and the refrigerator will draw about 2 (so the fan will be operating). Once the battery is fully charged, the DC demand will drop to about 5 amps (if no lights are on). The fan may turn on/off as lights are turned on or it may never turn off if there's a demand on the DC system such as the refrigerator, the propane and CO detectors, the thermostat, backlight for the stereo and other "silent drains". I have not used AGM batteries, so they may take longer to fully charge than a lead acid battery. Depending on what other items are using DC current, you may find the converter fan runs all the time you're plugged into shore power. It should never run when you are disconnected from shore power and have no 120 VAC input (shore power or generator).

Do you have an inverter that converts battery power to 120 VAC????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:38 AM   #13
ken56

No inverter here. I need shore power to have 110. By your description it sound like its running normally except I have never heard it change speed. Its a constant speed with no variation. My other rigs did though and again, that is what peeked my curiosity. I honestly think it is related to the AGM house battery. We are most always plugged into shore power and that battery never really cycles. Not sure but.....

Thanks for the discussion.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:32 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
No inverter here. I need shore power to have 110. By your description it sound like its running normally except I have never heard it change speed. Its a constant speed with no variation. My other rigs did though and again, that is what peeked my curiosity. I honestly think it is related to the AGM house battery. We are most always plugged into shore power and that battery never really cycles. Not sure but.....

Thanks for the discussion.
Simple test would be to remove the ground battery cable with all lights / appliances off and see if fan speed changes.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:16 AM   #15
travelin texans

May want to check the setting, mine has a setting for wet cell & one for AGM, you'll have to check the manual as to how to determine which is which.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #16
ChuckS

Just a little further info for the Op... the number you referenced is for the power center and not the actual converter in your RV...

http://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-893050/

Here is what Trekwood lists as the only converter offered for you Year/model....

http://www.trekwood.com/products/605...ck-Mount-Cheng

Here is the manual for that converter.. there is no selection switch for different style batteries....

http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...ors-Manual.pdf

The converter is not normally right at the distribution center but instead it’s usually mounted separately....

Anyway... if you didn’t have manual this may be useful down the road..
Your converter is typical 3 stage output...if its working properly.

If you disconnect battery terminal and have all interior lights, furnace, etc off it would be interesting to see if converter fan still runs...

If so...then something inside the RV is drawing enough current to cause the cooling fan to operate since the fan itself is controlled via sensed current demand.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

The OP indicated that he has a WFCO 8930 power center. I'm not sure what he actually has, but there is no 8930 (by that name) He may have an 8900 series "30" amp power center with a 55 amp converter installed in it. ????? That's just a guess.... Here's what WFCO has on the market: http://wfcoelectronics.com/product-c...f-8900-series/

Anyway, WFCO does not have a "lead-acid/AGM" selector switch.

This is from the WFCO website FAQ:
Should my fan run all the time?

No. The fan is controlled by the load. The fan will start running at a low speed when you have approx. 3.0 to 6.0 DC Amp draw. It will increase in speed as you add more load until you have approx 14.0 to 15.0 Amps draw. At this point, the fan is at its maximum speed and will stay there even if you add more load, Should amperage drop below 3.0 to 6.0 DC amps, the fan will shut off

Can I use AGM or Gel batteries?
AGM batteries are OK. We do not recommend the use of GEL batteries except when using the WF-6800 Series. See the Owner's Manual for more information.

Can I use any battery with WFCO chargers?
Deep-cycle batteries are recommended. They can be either of the Lead-Acid or AGM type. The Amp hour (Ah) rating should be shown on the battery; for example, 120Ah. There are many battery related Internet sites. Here are some examples:
http://www.batteryfaq.org
http://www.trojanbattery.com
auto.howstuffworks.com/question219.htm

The WFCO manual for the 9500 series (50 amp input) power centers does indicate an "automatic changeover" (no physical manual switch) to select LA/AGM battery types. This is not referenced in the 8900 series literature, but the FAQ's indicate that the power center/converter the OP has in his trailer is suitable for use with either lead acid or AGM batteries.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #18
ken56

Fellas, this has been an excellent conversation and I will investigate further.

Tags
converter